Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

First WIP- Female Medic

• 54 Replies
Re: First WIP- Female Medic
« Reply #15 on: Dec 01, 2019, 06:52 PM »
Updates! Ordered my bucket over Black Friday to take advantage of the sales, so now the waiting game for it to arrive! Stuck with a more traditional design instead of going the Nite Owl look I had originally planned. I also have a small blaster on the way.

Also got my flight suit figured out. Found some scrubs at Goodwill and lucked out to get a jacket that matched the set for the long sleeves. Took the pockets off of the pants so they should be good to go. (Have a few snags from the seam ripper on the reinforced pocket edges so I'm going to stick some clear nail polish on the inside leg and hope they don't rip  :P)
I like the look with the double sleeve better, so I'm probably going to go that route. Bulky middle should get covered by belts.

With just the long sleeve

PS- the colors here look a little wonky, idk why. The picture at the bottom of the page shows the true colors much better.

So now for some advice- I think the pant legs are kinda wide. I can take them in (although I have no idea how to do that, but I'm sure I can figure it out). OR I can get taller boots. I hadn't originally wanted to do tall boots though. The black boots are more the style I was going for (these are my Winter Soldier boots- I just needed something for the style  ;) I'll be finding a new pair to modify for this if this is what I decide). If I end up going a tall boot route, I'd do black and attach armor, but I really like the look of the smaller boot more. Opinions? Do I need to take the pants in or is it just me?

Also any other major concerns at this point?

kellynoons

• Mando Name: Kefira Leeu
« Reply #16 on: Dec 05, 2019, 06:56 PM »
Updates! Ordered my bucket over Black Friday to take advantage of the sales, so now the waiting game for it to arrive! Stuck with a more traditional design instead of going the Nite Owl look I had originally planned. I also have a small blaster on the way.

Also got my flight suit figured out. Found some scrubs at Goodwill and lucked out to get a jacket that matched the set for the long sleeves. Took the pockets off of the pants so they should be good to go. (Have a few snags from the seam ripper on the reinforced pocket edges so I'm going to stick some clear nail polish on the inside leg and hope they don't rip  :P)
I like the look with the double sleeve better, so I'm probably going to go that route. Bulky middle should get covered by belts.

With just the long sleeve

PS- the colors here look a little wonky, idk why. The picture at the bottom of the page shows the true colors much better.

So now for some advice- I think the pant legs are kinda wide. I can take them in (although I have no idea how to do that, but I'm sure I can figure it out). OR I can get taller boots. I hadn't originally wanted to do tall boots though. The black boots are more the style I was going for (these are my Winter Soldier boots- I just needed something for the style  ;) I'll be finding a new pair to modify for this if this is what I decide). If I end up going a tall boot route, I'd do black and attach armor, but I really like the look of the smaller boot more. Opinions? Do I need to take the pants in or is it just me?

Also any other major concerns at this point?

Nice score with the scrubs!

Based off your current design, I would say go with the your original boot idea! I love me some tall boots, but the shorter boots look better with what you're trying to do.

I f you do do the shorter boots, I would alter the pants just a bit, the leg looks a little long. 

keep up the good work!

« Reply #17 on: Dec 14, 2019, 06:31 PM »
Found some super cool shoes which I hope will work! Gotta take the tag off, but they just felt so perfect for the look I'm going for! Plus the compromise on my boot situation- they're somewhat tall but not completely. I can tuck the pants into them and the bagginess is much better!

Also I think I'm going to cannibalize my Enfys Nest gloves since I'm not longer going to be pursuing that build. I'll take the brown parts off, but I'm wondering if I can leave the white? I kinda like it, but I'm not sure if it's still too recognizable as that character. If not, I'll try painting over it with another color? Maybe either blue or red since those will be my armor colors? Also I'll cover the logo with fabric or something as well, but most likely won't ever even see that part of the glove.

Veris Bralor

• Awards Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 15+ clan level invasions 40% increase or more
« Reply #18 on: Dec 30, 2019, 08:23 PM »
I don't think the gloves are too recognizable.
Don't stress to much about taking in the legs if you decide it will look better. Its pretty easy look up tutorials, but basically you flip them inside out, put them on, pin a new inside seam, sew it up and mirror it on the other leg.

Falke

• Aliit ori'shya tal'din
« Reply #19 on: Jan 01, 2020, 03:11 PM »
I agree the gloves are not that regoncisable and should work for your mando and I like the boots, they have a great feel! Just remove the logo and you're good to go!

SeaEye

• Taíraysh ehn verd
« Reply #20 on: Jan 03, 2020, 03:43 AM »
"So Others Might Live"
"Corpsman Up!"
"Not Self, but Clan"

Helpful? Maybe?

Hi, I'm Charlie, and I'm a complete clownshoes newb. Kindly take that into account before tearing into me. Thank you.
« Reply #21 on: Jan 06, 2020, 12:13 PM »
Cool cool! I actually painted over the white with black but might go back over with white again. The black seems too dark for the look Iím going for.
Another cool thing about the boots is I saw a BTS picture of Billy Dee Williams in episode 9, and he has on the same boots just in black! I donít think you can see them in the actual movie, but I was happy to see they are officially ďcanonĒ!

Next step is to get a flak vest. Iím cool with buying one or possibly making one (my sewing skills are somewhat on the noob level though). If itís super easy to make Iím game to try. Any patterns out there? Or sellers you recommend?

Veris Bralor

• Awards Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 15+ clan level invasions 40% increase or more
« Reply #22 on: Jan 07, 2020, 12:51 AM »
I'd recommend looking in the supplier area of the forum or asking locally about vests. And there is a tutorial in the halls of knowledge. I've now made 2 and I'm still not happy about how I'm doing it so I'm not one to ask about ease.

Nika

• April: working on gauntlets
« Reply #23 on: Jan 12, 2020, 09:24 PM »
If you ever have trouble with having to keep tucking the pants back into your boot, one of my clan mates told me about putting like a strap on the bottom to go under the foot to keep the pants down in the boot. Hope that made sense?

Instagram: @Darvani.Nika
This is the way.
« Reply #24 on: Jan 20, 2020, 02:29 PM »
Thanks for the help! Found someone on the forum to make a vest and planning to order it tonight. Acquired sintra for armor. Will need to get to an armor party for help with that though!
Finished Enfys gloves and put the white back on the fingers. I had originally painted the white over with black but they looked too dark for what Iím going for with my kit. But I kept the red stripe on the knuckles. Will add some armor to the back of the hands later.

« Reply #25 on: Mar 03, 2020, 09:56 PM »
Long time no updates! Finally got something more substantial done. Trying to get all the soft parts finished and out of the way before I start the armor even though Iím itching to do the armor 😍

Got a belt which will be getting modified of course. Need to remove the logo. Probably adding some paint and maybe some medical labels to the pouches which will end up getting stuffed to make them look more full too. Will also be covering the plastic buckle with sintra to make a more in-universe look. Any cool ideas or inspiration for that is definitely welcome!
Made my sash belt with loin cloth as well. Loin cloth is attached with Velcro so can be removed if I want to upgrade to hard armor there in the future.

Next step is to try to make a flak vest. I decided I am going to attempt to make my own and if itís a fail Iíll commission one instead 😅

Update: Working on a cape to use instead of a backplate for now. I want a more substantial cape since sheíll be a medic. Hypothetically, it could be used for a blanket, stretcher, etc. I also like the scarf look similar to Kyloís. Itís not super obvious in the pictures but hopefully you get the idea! (And hopefully a style like this is ok!)  Nothing has been hemmed yet. Iíll add more photos once itís cleaned up.

« Last Edit: Mar 08, 2020, 07:14 PM by Alyssad » Logged
« Reply #26 on: Apr 14, 2020, 11:12 PM »
Quarantine has made me resourceful and trying out things Iíve been scared to do! Hereís a mockup of my flak vest. I posted with my local clan and getting feedback from them. I need to make the armpits a little bigger but that shouldnít be an issue. Any other issues you see?

« Reply #27 on: Apr 16, 2020, 01:31 PM »
Hi fellow medic! Just wanted to say hi and that this is looking good!

Jaa'lir Corvus - Field Medic - Prospective for Vok'Chi
Gar shuk meh kyrayc, ne'cuy jare'la osik. (You're no good dead, don't be a stupid POS.)
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2020, 07:09 PM »
If you are concerned about the pants can always try blousing the pants with blousing string, giving it a "tucked in look" but in reality it sits on top of the boot and if done right it won't ride up the leg either.

« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2020, 06:26 PM »
Got a lot of updates!! Iím finally seeing a light at the end of this tunnel and Iím getting very eager to have this done. My goal is to be done before our local con which has been postponed to September. That gives me the whole summer to finish which I think is pretty reasonable.
First off, finished the flak vest so Iím messing around with armor templates and whatnot right now. Hoping we are able to meet in person soon so I can get some help from my local clan with this part.

Next up, helmet is mostly done! The words on the back are based off of a verse in Psalms. I translated it myself with as many words as I could find in the Mandoía dictionary and then just spelled out the rest using the alphabet. Itís probably wrong, but it looks cool anyway so Iím happy with it. Iím still waiting on a blue mirrored visor from Kalevala and am planning to add HUD lights from Acacin Armouries as well. Once all my armor is finished, Iíll go over everything to dirty/weather it up but I wanted consistency there so Iím waiting to finish that aspect.

Made this fun little arm band with a few bottles of medicines and/or poisons depending on the circumstances lol.

Shoulders are being 3d printed and hopefully will be arriving soon. Knees and gauntlets have been ordered from April Storm and hopefully will be here in the next few weeks as well. I also got some new fingerless gloves because I realized I live in Arizona and didn't want to sweat more than I have to. Also, being able to use my hands/fingers is also a plus.

Excuse my art teacher fingers lol

« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 05:46 PM by Alyssad » Logged

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!