Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

First WIP- Female Medic

• 41 Replies

Kiru Setu

• Mandorable
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ clan level invasions 15+ invasions in 2018
Re: First WIP- Female Medic
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2020, 08:08 PM »
Looking great so far, vod. Keep it up! Can't wait to get our armored selfie together!

« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2020, 09:27 PM »
Looking great so far, vod. Keep it up! Can't wait to get our armored selfie together!
I can't wait for that selfie too!!!!!!

Ok... the dreaded armor. I've been putting this off as long as I can, but it's now time to work on it so here we are.
Paper templates are not fun. Especially when you have womanly curves. I want my armor to be as generic as possible which I don't know if that makes it easier or harder? I found some templates with darts built in them. I honestly don't remember where I even found them, but they worked great for me printed straight off with the sizing that was already there. I then used the Jango Fett templates on the template page (but the one with multiple sizes) and used the pattern for people 5'3". I'm about an inch or so taller than that but the sizing seemed good. The collar plate was too short, so I added about two inches to the bottom, making it go straight across (mostly because straight lines are easier for me). Then I cut off about a half inch from the sides. I added about an inch to the top of the chest plates and it got me pretty close to the right size. I'll probably add another half inch to the top of those still, and I can trim it later. Always go bigger because trimming is easy. Once I put everything on, I realized the collar looked massive and bulky and I didn't like it. So I folded the bottom corners in to give it an angled look. This works really well with the shape of the chest pieces I think and makes it look really streamlined. Unique, but not too crazy.

After checking with people who know more than me, we decided the sizing was pretty good. Spacing is a little off still, but once I have this cut out onto the pvc board, it should be a little easier to fix that. Next step will be to trace these patterns onto the pvc board and get those cut out and start trying to shape them. Since it's a holiday weekend, I'm hoping I can get that tackled or at least started in a few days. I really have almost absolutely no idea how to do this, so it should be an adventure.

Something I DO have confidence in, however, is this!

I got myself some wooden beads and leather string and put 19 beads together for a trophy. Since I'm going the medic route, I am planning for my trophies to be more like memorials. The 19 beads represent COVID-19 since most of this project has been/will be completed during the pandemic. I'm also going to make another memorial for my grandpa who passed away from COVID. I'm planning to do a chest diamond with his name on it and some more beads. I'll cut that out this weekend when I work on cutting out my armor. The question is, what is the best way to weather the beads? Rub some acrylics on them?

Naasad Tal

• "Aliit ori'shya tal'din"
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Award for 100 official invasions.
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2020, 09:30 PM »
Love your trophy & the planned memorial!!

Armor templates look great, as mentioned in the clan FB page, minor spacing issues that can easily be fixed later when the armor is done.

Great progress so far!

Chris S. OM# 454 | Shonare Vhekadla Clan | VRCA #20 | Elegant Mando #66 | Desert Ops #2
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2020, 10:53 PM »
The question is, what is the best way to weather the beads? Rub some acrylics on them?

depends on the type of weathering you want to do. You can always do a light layer of glue and roll it in the dirt out side. You can do a black, brown and red wash. scuff them with sand paper then apply wash. or both

Ares X

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2020, 11:06 AM »
Love the memorial and VERY SORRY about your grandfather.

As far as weathering the beads... I was going to suggest sandpaper as well. You could also drag them through some gravel.  Fuller's Earth (or powdered tile grout) will add some 3D weathering.  Just spray them with some clear coat, then sprinkle some Fuller's Earth (or the grout powder) over them and then spray again.

Kiru Setu

• Mandorable
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ clan level invasions 15+ invasions in 2018
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2020, 12:13 PM »
Love the memorial and VERY SORRY about your grandfather.

As far as weathering the beads... I was going to suggest sandpaper as well. You could also drag them through some gravel.  Fuller's Earth (or powdered tile grout) will add some 3D weathering.  Just spray them with some clear coat, then sprinkle some Fuller's Earth (or the grout powder) over them and then spray again.

And, I have some fuller's earth if you need it.

« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2020, 06:35 PM »
Oooh those are some great ideas!!! I’ll give that a go! And Tiana I would love to use some of that if you have some extra!

Got a lot of work done last night/today! First off, I weathered and made my belt much more interesting. I added some Mando'a words at the bottom of the pouches but you can barely read them. Still looks cool though and I feel it actually adds even more character and weathering than if it was perfect looking. I used metallic silver paint mixed with some black to tone it down. I used it on all the rivets and on the black snaps. Wiped watered down gray paint on the edges where it would get worn along with some muddy brown paint. (I'll be adding a piece of sintra on top of the parachute buckle too.)

Then I weathered my flight suit! I used coconut oil to add sweat stains in the armpits (gross). I used some blacks, grays, and browns to add the rest of the weathering, focusing mostly on the knees, elbows, and backside. As a medic, I thought I would be sitting/kneeling/laying down next to people so those areas would be muddier and dirtier than others.

The sash belt/loin cloth was next. Same weathering on the sash- not too exciting. But the loin cloth has a lot of the oil on the bottom and is very dirty. I felt as I was kneeling or whatever, it would get draped in dirt pretty easily. It also is easy to just use to wipe off hands too. Then onto the cape! Same process with the coconut oil and paints. More dirt towards the bottom, and I added some holes and snags and snagged a few ends since I felt it would get caught on things on the ground. I still need to finish this up and add some of the same weathering on the inside of it as well.
Flak vest got some watered down gray paint on the seams to make them look more worn. But since most of this will be covered up, I didn't focus too much on it. Laid everything out except boots and gloves to see how its all looking together and it made me so happy to see it all together- even if it's just the soft parts!

Still need to weather the boots and gloves as well as the sides of my flight suit because I forgot that would be visible through the buckles on my flak vest  :P Then I need to weather a few other small things but that job is practically done!

The biggest part of today was spent cutting and sanding armor. Surprisingly I didn't ruin anything cutting and sanding was much easier than I thought. I figured things were going too well because then I decided it was time to try to reattach the darts and start shaping. I got E6000 thinking that would work, but it didn't. Plus I had no way of clamping the two parts together since it bends the plastic. I was smashing them together as best as I could hoping it would dry enough that I could let go. That never happened. Tried to use Gorilla Glue and same story. So my dad suggested I use 5 minute epoxy and use duct tape to help hold the sides together. This was much more promising, but because there wasn't much left in his stash, we didn't mix it perfectly. So it never cured. At this point I wanted to just throw this all away and try a new strategy, but I decided to go buy more epoxy with the plunger so I knew I would have 50/50. I also decided I should try to heat the plastic and bend it more into shape and maybe that would help the sides of the dart not try to pull apart so much. But it was time to call it quits for the evening because I was hungry.
I'll try the new plan tomorrow and hope it works. If not, my dad is going to teach me how to fiberglass!

Sorry for the lack of armor pictures- my hands were covered in plastic dust and epoxy for most of the afternoon so this is all you're getting for now. I'll get some more tomorrow when I work on it again.

Update!
Tried the new epoxy today and it worked MUCH better. Letting it cure for 24 hours before I use bondo and sand down the seams. But about 3 hours later is is super hard so I don't think the seam will be going anywhere. I need to do a bit more shaping on the bottom of these, but they seem to fit well. Is it better to finish shaping before I bondo or can I wait till the end?

Went and messed around with some painting of some plastic syringes I found on Amazon. (No needles!) But the clear plastic tubing just looked a little too earthy to me. Most of the reference images I have found of SW medical tools show the tools being metallic. So I used acetone nail polish remover to get the measurement labels off the sides. Then I pulled out the plungers and lightly sanded the sides of the main tube. Used plastic primer and then covered that with metallic chrome paint. I don't want this being dirty at all so I don't plan on doing anything else to them. Clean medical tools are important!! I plan on sewing another arm band like the one I made for the tubes of medicines for these. I'll also probably add a few more tubes to this arm band too.

Also, I played around with a cheap metal tin and made this little medpac. I tried using stencils for the letters (which say MED in aurebesh) but they didn't quite turn out as nicely as I was hoping. But it kinda gives it a cool affect? Let me know what you think. I thought it would be cool to strap this to my thigh. It fits really well right there!

« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 09:43 PM by Alyssad » Logged

Kiru Setu

• Mandorable
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2020, 04:00 PM »
Fantastic work.

Let me know when and where for the fuller's earth.

« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2020, 10:42 PM »
Thanks! I shall PM you :)

I worked on some shaping of armor plates on Memorial Day and that was going ok until I snapped my collar plate like an idiot trying to bend it without heating. I will be cutting out a new one of those this weekend. I also went and bought myself an actual heat gun so I'm not doing this with a blow dryer anymore...
Anyway, this is much harder than I thought it would be, but I'm trying not to get discouraged. Hopefully I'll be able to get everything to the right shape without breaking anything else. The good thing is plastic is cheapish and I can always get more.

But I needed a break from the armor after being frustrated so I painted the little knuckle guards on my gloves and got those weathered up. I feel like the red just makes them pop a little more. I also weathered my boots, adding lots of muddy brown on the bottoms. I really like how they turned out. I did put them on with my pants again and decided that taking in the pant leg is going to be the best option. But that shouldn't be too hard to do! I'm going to just sew a line down the inseam starting at the knee. I used the same method to take in the flares on my Imperial officer pants for Gov. Pryce and I left all the fabric just in case I want to let the out some day in the future or want to change things up. Cutting fabric is so final, so this gives me the option to let it out if I need to.

I also made a few more medicine test tube things. These do not seal great so I have to add hot glue to the cap before I put the cap on to keep the liquids from leaking. I tried superglue but it expands too much and doesn't seal as good as the hot glue does. And since this is cheap and easy, if they ever get damaged or start leaking I can easily replace and make new ones. The liquid is just water and food coloring.
Then I took an epi pen trainer and added this IV tube my sister gave me on top (no needles anywhere). I'll be painting this metallic like I did the syringes, but maybe adding a stripe or something. I'm hoping that this will fit into my gauntlets as a sort of auto-injector. The tubing is attached to another capsule which will be in an arm band on my bicep. The connection is  hot glue and then superglue to seal the edges since it'll be upside down. But it got messy and now is pretty ugly looking. I've been sanding it down, and I can keep doing that but other easier ideas that don't involve sanding would be awesome.

Also! The package of syringes I got came with these blunt tip "needles." They definitely aren't sharp at all. I was thinking of maybe adding one to the orange part of the epi pen? I'm just not sure if that is allowed. I'm also not sure it'll even fit once I add it to the gauntlets. So I guess we will see once those arrive (which is hopefully soon!)

Lastly, I practiced black washing my medpack. I figured if I ruined a $4 box it would be better than ruining anything else. I've watched videos and read tutorials about it, but the idea of slapping a bunch of watered down black paint all over something still scared me. BUT I am super happy with how it turned out. I used black with a bit of brown to tone it down. I went over the box twice- the first time just to give everything an even coat, and the second time I went really thick in some areas. But note to self is that this is super messy so I'll be doing all the rest of this outside for sure! I also got a strap to attach to the box to "hold" it onto my thigh, even though the velcro is actually doing that job.

I also found an old iPhone of mine. I'm pretty sure it still works, just needs charging. I'm wondering if anyone has been able to integrate something like that into their kit? I am not techy so it would need to be something fairly easy. I was thinking maybe some sort of medical scanner? Send me ideas if you have any!

Ares X

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions
« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2020, 11:14 AM »
I also found an old iPhone of mine. I'm pretty sure it still works, just needs charging. I'm wondering if anyone has been able to integrate something like that into their kit? I am not techy so it would need to be something fairly easy. I was thinking maybe some sort of medical scanner? Send me ideas if you have any!

In what way?  I have an old iPhone that I use as a display console in my left gauntlet. I have a number of screens that display data readings.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 11:18 AM by Ares X » Logged
« Reply #40 on: May 28, 2020, 08:23 PM »
Out of curiosity, how did you do your cape?

Thinking of a similar look for my own kit, but I have no idea how to do it.

Everything’s looking very cool!

« Reply #41 on: May 28, 2020, 08:47 PM »
Out of curiosity, how did you do your cape?

Thinking of a similar look for my own kit, but I have no idea how to do it.

Everything’s looking very cool!

Thanks!!!! So I absolutely love Kylo Ren lol, so I wanted to take a little bit of inspiration from his TFA outfit with his cape. It's obviously not much like his, but I liked the edges draping over the back. I have a rectangle piece of material, and then I cut the neck hole about 1/4 of the way in instead of right towards the top. This left me with pretty big hanging parts in the front which I can wrap around to make the scarf bit and the the edges hang over my shoulders. Here's a picture! Hopefully that helps- honestly I looked up a cape tutorial and then changed it up some so I had that look that I wanted.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!