Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Aranovar's Helmet construction thread!

• 10 Replies

Aranovar

• 3d Printed Paz Vizsla.
Aranovar's Helmet construction thread!
« on: Nov 21, 2019, 07:04 PM »
I STARTED IT

This is taken off of my concept thead HERE!

I got a 3D Printer... SO IT HAS BEGUN See images below:

There was definitely some learning curve and some messups...

But in the end, the first part was complete!

Thankfully I fixed the issues, and the third part is now printing! I have so far put together the bottom and top right half of the front. I didn't slice it the best, and in the future, I will do better, but I have done that so far and wanted to start my helmet thread!

Vorpal

Re: Aranovar's Helmet construction thread!
« Reply #1 on: Nov 22, 2019, 08:35 AM »
Looking good so far.  I print all my buckets.  the 1st was in parts on a Chinese prusa clone. I fell in love with 3d printing from that and got myself a bigger printer. I now print buckets off in 2 parts. Still I'm after a bigger printer to do them in one piece :)   Be warned 1 printer is never enough :)

ti his kov'nyn

Wolfin Sylvermane

• We are only Immortal for a limited time.
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #2 on: Nov 22, 2019, 07:58 PM »
I love my CR-10s!    The model looks stunning.  Can't wait to see how it comes out.

Druj Jes

• Heavy Weapons,Heavy Assault,Hazardous Environment
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Shock Infantry Brigade Member EnviroOps
« Reply #3 on: Nov 24, 2019, 04:14 PM »
That looks great!!! I printed my 2nd bucket, and it was 14 parts.  It took some time and by the end it was printing very well and I am happy with the final product.  Once you do one, you will want more.  Can't say I didn't warn you, even if it was already too late.  :laugh:

Druj Jes - M.M.C.C. #2302 - B.O.M.B. #105 - M.V.S. #105

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #4 on: Nov 24, 2019, 06:11 PM »
Take it from me.... helmets never stop when you get the bug!

It is not who you are but the service you do for others that defines you.
QMU#084

Aranovar

• 3d Printed Paz Vizsla.
« Reply #5 on: Jan 14, 2020, 08:59 PM »
So I have a small update!

(Btw I am posting from my phone cause I'll never get around to uploading the photos lol)

I have finished the helmet print! TONS of problems have arisen so far, but I have worked through a lot.

First, an image of the helmet in full:

So a few problems that have arrived!

1) The Ender 3, being a cheap printer, has some problems. Namely the fricken bowden tubing. This little shizen keeps popping off and ruining my prints half way through! (Infuriating!) Its an amazing machine, done get me wrong. I have upgraded the stupid plastic extruder to metal and gotten the good tubing and new tips, etc, but now I have to replace the bowden extruder because it doesnt want to grip the tubing and I've ran through them all. (To fix this I need to print the little plastic clips that holds it but I never want to wait 45 mins for that to print, I'm lazy sometimes lol) this will be fixed soon, but for now it has stopped production! (Currently working on the body armor and will be reprinting the right half of the front plate of the bucket, which will be shown here in a moment)

2) The 3d model I made isn't EXACTLY perfect to my body and it drives me insane. It is VERY close and will fit guidelines and CLRs but I hate that it doesnt fit exactly, but I'll get over that.

3) I WANT ANLTHER PRINTER OMG. I love 2d printing, but I cant keep waiting almost 3 days for some of these prints to print and have a ton of them fail half way through the night and waste a huge chunk of my filament! I'm currently about 150-200 hrs into printing and have the bucket, left chest, right chest, diamond, and ab plate done. Good progress considering each piece was about 18-23 hours per.

4) I'm debating on whether to just bondo the surface after a quick sanding or sand flush and fiberglass the outsides or insides. Not sure what I want to do just yet, but I'll figure it out!

Now look at the following images as I wallow in self pity lol a few problems with the actual print: the diamond on the helmet is broken. The print failed right at the end and I kept it. As mentioned, the right side of the face plate is crooked and didnt print correctly, so I'll be reprinting thag. And finally, one of the crests didnt print properly and I had to retrofit a smaller print, so it looks a little wierd in the back, but nothing bondo cant fix!

See images:

That's it for now! Until next time fine folks!

Anansi

• Ratiin Am Jate'Kara
  • Awards Donated one quarter of 2023. Award for 10 official invasions. Special Weapons 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
« Reply #6 on: Jan 14, 2020, 10:02 PM »
It's definitely moving along at a good pace. I'm curious, what filament are you using and what sort of settings are you using?

May Hod Ha'ran guide my tongue, may Kad Ha'rangir guide my gun, and may Arasuum guide you to your final slumber.

MMCC #2010 - Nevik Marev
Cabur Akaata Member 139 | O.S.B.A. 007
Gunslinger - Special Weapons Brigade
Anansi's Longstrike Carbine
Another Anansi Nerf Mod
Anansi's Armor WIP

Aranovar

• 3d Printed Paz Vizsla.
« Reply #7 on: Jan 14, 2020, 10:12 PM »
It's definitely moving along at a good pace. I'm curious, what filament are you using and what sort of settings are you using?

Good question!

I'm using PETG (brand is overture)

Settings, off the top of my head I cant remember lol
I'll post once home if I remmeber.

« Reply #8 on: Jan 15, 2020, 10:16 PM »
Good question!

Settings, off the top of my head I cant remember lol
I'll post once home if I remmeber.
i've personally had issues with overture filament being very inconsistant in quality and requirements. i bought a 3-pack of their PLA. the first roll worked fine with temps of 190 on the extruder and 50 for the bed, but i wasted half the second spool because it would NOT stick to the print bed until i put the temp up to 210 and 80 degrees. i won't be buying from them again.
as for areas that didn't print quite right, i usually use epoxy putty like JB weld or greenstuff to fill in the gaps. stuff's also really good for reinforcing the inner side seams if you don't want to fiberglass the whole thing!

Grimstuff

• Ayyy
« Reply #9 on: Jan 16, 2020, 09:48 AM »
Creality gang representtt

Namely the fricken bowden tubing. This little shizen keeps popping off and ruining my prints half way through! (Infuriating!) Its an amazing machine, done get me wrong. I have upgraded the stupid plastic extruder to metal and gotten the good tubing and new tips, etc, but now I have to replace the bowden extruder because it doesnt want to grip the tubing and I've ran through them all.
Just to make sure, did it sorta click-in when you installed it? At least for my CR10 you really have to push it in tight for it to sorta click in, and once that happens that thing pretty much will not come out unless you push in the little ring that surrounds it. And speaking of that ring thing, it should be fully extended to have the borden properly locked in, if it's pushed in then it's in removable mode.

2) The 3d model I made isn't EXACTLY perfect to my body and it drives me insane. It is VERY close and will fit guidelines and CLRs but I hate that it doesnt fit exactly, but I'll get over that.
I find it can be helpful to slice (as in 3d model cutting, not the slicer program) up a sort of skeleton of the piece first purely for sizing, kind of like just stripes of the item, just enough for it to be dimensionally stable and still be printable. You can then see how that looks on your irl head, adjust, then print the real thing. If you design your plate slices well, you can even make this skeleton it's own arrangement of plates, and then just fill it in with fill plates.

And/or if you're a skilled enough modeler, model up a rough approximation of your body and fake fit the pieces onto it.

PETG can be a tough material to work with, especially as a printing newbie, so don't feel bad for getting a lot of failed prints with it. But yeah it's definitely a great strong material for helms though.

Might be worth getting some PLA too though, both for having a cheaper material to template and test stuff with, and so you have a more forgiving material as you diagnose print issues. I test print almost everything for the first go in PLA, just to make sure I like the sizing/design and that it's printable without overhands etc.

Aranovar

• 3d Printed Paz Vizsla.
« Reply #10 on: Jan 21, 2020, 01:39 PM »
Creality gang representtt
Just to make sure, did it sorta click-in when you installed it? At least for my CR10 you really have to push it in tight for it to sorta click in, and once that happens that thing pretty much will not come out unless you push in the little ring that surrounds it. And speaking of that ring thing, it should be fully extended to have the borden properly locked in, if it's pushed in then it's in removable mode.

I actually just got new bowden tube couplings that have the metal teeth inside. They hold SO much better. I realized the Capricorns I had didn't have them for some reason. Not sure why. But I got that portion fixed! Thanks!

I find it can be helpful to slice (as in 3d model cutting, not the slicer program) up a sort of skeleton of the piece first purely for sizing, kind of like just stripes of the item, just enough for it to be dimensionally stable and still be printable. You can then see how that looks on your irl head, adjust, then print the real thing. If you design your plate slices well, you can even make this skeleton it's own arrangement of plates, and then just fill it in with fill plates.

That's a decent idea, after looking at them again, they fit close enough to meet CRL's I believe. It fits nicely on my head and is about half way to the shoulder tips as the CRL requires. as for the chest bits, im going to wait until they are all printed to test drive them!

And/or if you're a skilled enough modeler, model up a rough approximation of your body and fake fit the pieces onto it.
PETG can be a tough material to work with, especially as a printing newbie, so don't feel bad for getting a lot of failed prints with it. But yeah it's definitely a great strong material for helms though.

I actually modeled this all! lol The helmet fits nicely. I have a program called armorsmith designer that gives you a model based on your body size that I used to size it all up. I usually can get stuff pretty close to my size :P

Might be worth getting some PLA too though, both for having a cheaper material to template and test stuff with, and so you have a more forgiving material as you diagnose print issues. I test print almost everything for the first go in PLA, just to make sure I like the sizing/design and that it's printable without overhands etc.

I have some PLA. but I hate the way it prints lol. It's easy to print, but not what I want to print with. Its a nice material, I just prefer PETG lol

As far as all the problems I have been having, I have pretty much alleviated them! I have ordered a bowden tubing cutter, the Capricorn one, so that it is level when inserting to the hot end. I have installed new fittings on either end with metal teeth to grip that tubing so it doesn't slide (this eliminates the need for the stupid little clips), and I have replaced the tip with an all hardened metal tip! Oh and I printed a new cooler tip for the fan on the hot end that circles around it for more even cooling. These have done wonders! I am printing the back plate as we speak (though one part failed because I'm stupid and didnt make any supports for it.) So far the only other issue I am having is leakage on the hot end where the metal has apparently come slightly loose. I will be replacing the hot end with the Micro Swiss all metal hot end when I get the money to. I just spent my budget on these items! lol. Once that is replaced, it will be like a brand new machine, but for now it is running better than it has since I got it! I will update next time I have parts done! The helmet, for now, is in a stasis as I work on the body parts, which I will create a thread for once I get more substantial parts completed (so far only the chest, ab, diamond, and half of the neck seal are printed.)

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!