Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Working in wood? Looking for advice

• 1 Replies

Bel Tay'haai

• M.A. #081
Working in wood? Looking for advice
« on: Nov 23, 2019, 06:01 PM »
My family's disposing of three old bookcases because some of the shelves were becoming warped by the weight of the books. This means I've got access to six six-foot-ish boards and nine two-foot-ish boards, all made of particle-board with veneer.

So here's my questions:
1. Is particle board an okay material for making prop weapons? I know there are concerns about wood dust and formaldehyde from cutting, but I don't intend on working without appropriate tools and safety precautions.
2. If so, should I remove the veneer before I work with it?
3. Where can I get my grubby little hands on templates or stencils for blasters?

Recommendations for who to bug with these questions also welcome!

OriKad

• The Grizzled Old Sergeant of Mav Oya'la Clan
  • Awards Force Hunter Brigade Member Special Weapons 267th Rapid Assault Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions 40% increase or more
Re: Working in wood? Looking for advice
« Reply #1 on: Nov 24, 2019, 02:50 PM »
1: Yes, in theory.  It won't be very sturdy though, unless you reinforce it with a resin coating once you've got it carved down.  It's also a lot heavier than using, say, poplar, but since you've got it already lying around...

2: Yes.  The veneer would only get in the way.

3: Draw them on paper.  You can use business cards or fridge magnets for right angles, and a basic ruler to make all the other measurements.

You can bug your local Ruus'alor with the questions.  It's their job to help you out. :)

I do recommend rather than using the shelf boards for props like blasters (since particle board really isn't the best material for it), you look into building some convention table or photo area display props like, for instance, in-universe shipping crates or the like.  It'd be a good use of the material and it would help out your clan.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!