Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Corbin's armor concept and WIP

• 38 Replies

Corbin Das

• Keeper of the Killer Penny
Corbin's armor concept and WIP
« on: Nov 25, 2019, 05:17 AM »
Greetings all!!

I've posted various pictures in different sections, but it's probably best for me to begin my WIP thread. Much better to be told "that won't pass CRLs" while it's still in the developmental stages.  So PLEASE feel free to speak your mind, offer suggestions, or whatever. I have thick skin. LOL

There's a rough idea on how I want things to look, but many details haven't been hammered out yet.  As most of my projects tend to do, I suspect there will be several instances of either screwing something up, it not working the way I envisioned or the need to go a different direction. I'm happy to have everyone able to "come along for the ride" of seeing this through. Looking forward to getting my first Mando all together.

So........ here's my concept drawing. Or more accurately, the drawing that evolved as I acquired different parts. I'm sure it'll continue to evolve.  I'm not sure what color I want the trauma plates yet. If I can lighten or darken the Icon boots, that will probably play a major factor in my decision. I'm a bit of a leathersmith (amatuer), so I have some ideas. My original intention was to do an arctic Mando, but I could go desert instead. Anyway, please feel free to say which color combo you like best.

Yes, those are Snowtrooper shoulders on the arctic versions. I'm a Snowtrooper in the 501st, so I have extra parts here and there. Not 100% sold on using them with the Mando kit, but we'll see. I already have cold cast aluminum Boba style shoulders that I was considering using as something else, like bicep armor or something similar.  Not sure yet.  And I realize there aren't any knees drawn (or arms for that matter). Haven't decided on second waist belt either yet, so it's not drawn. Trying to focus on what I HAVE so far, but I'll need to figure out that stuff too, eventually.  :laugh:

For the torso, I'm starting with Jango cold cast aluminum parts (fiberglass reinforced).
I'll add some removable trauma plates later, to give it some color.

So far, I have cold cast:
  • shoulders
  • collar
  • L & R chest, with diamond
  • abdomen
  • cod piece

Not the best picture, but I'll replace it with a better one soon.

I'm having a flak vest made in off white cotton duck cloth.  Endelose (on Etsy) is making it for me. She comes highly recommended. It'll have a short covered zipper on the back, as well as a covered zipper down the left side. Hidden elastic sides, double layered front (for reinforcement), and Boba style shoulders.

Back zipper cover idea was mine. Basically, there's a short strip of fabric that acts as a zipper pull. There's loop velcro on it, so it's comfortable to hold. After zipping it up, you lay it down over the zipper, which has hook velcro sewn to either side. Should hide the zipper pretty well.....I hope.

Before cutting anything, I asked a question in Mandalorian Q&A about segmenting the collar piece, and having a trauma plate cover the gap, but allow the underplates (the CC alum) to slide under it, when needed, to allow for better range of motion and prevent binding. I got the OK to proceed. Here's a rough drawing of what I'm talking about. Plates weren't sanded or steel wooled at this point. Note: that's not a vest I'm using for the armor. It was just convenient.

I'm also wanting to have a similar trauma plate for the chest sections.
The CC diamond will be on the trauma plate (recessed). I'm wondering,
if I'm going to attach a pilot's chest box, would I still need the diamond?
There will be matching  trauma plates on the abdomen and codpiece.

Came across some really "Swarzy" brown boots. At least I think so:

I'm currently playing around with methods to cover back zipper.  Thinking a leather or aluminum plate like this:

Maybe I'll add some rockets, like Cad Bane,  just my own style.

A couple days ago, I bought some gloves like these, off Ebay. I thought they'd go well with the boots.
One cool thing I just saw on ep 4 of the Mandalorian the Kubaz  was wearing these exact same gloves.

Now...... the helmet is from Albatross Customs (our own Makris Brik). I designed a custom, liftable visor,
that Makris was kind enough to build for me. I have lots of plans for adding electronics to this helm
(wireless mic to voice amp, LEDs, possibly a HUD, if I can get it to work right, and a Velleman MK126),
but they'll have their own threads.

Teaser HUD w / animated "radar"   :cookie::

Here's some pants I found that I liked. I know I'll need to sew pockets shut. I purchased and extra pair,
in small, so I can use them to make matching sleeves. Not sure if I'll have sleeves attach inside flak vest
or make them into a separate layer. I liked the ribbed knee (and elbow) sections. They're 95% cotton, so
they should be able to either be dyed or made lighter, as needed.

Thanks!!

I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

« Last Edit: Dec 03, 2019, 04:45 AM by Corbin Das » Logged

Kurz

• Awards Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023.
Re: Corbin's armor concept and WIP
« Reply #1 on: Dec 01, 2019, 07:12 AM »
OMG, everything is awesome! I am going with a similar trauma plating concept too

OM #2524
Cabur Akaata (Protector Battalion) #133
Oribru Akaata (Emergency Battalion) #31
M.V.S. #89
L.O.B. #66

Corbin Das

« Reply #2 on: Dec 03, 2019, 06:07 AM »
Thanks Kurz !

I'm currently trying to decide if I want the "life support box" on the chest or on the back. I haven't designed the back plate yet, so I just have it drawn with the vest. Having it on the back was my original intention, as I thought it might keep the front cleaner and give more detail to the back. Having it on the chest though, would let me place my voice amp speaker into it, and allow me to reach switches.

Thoughts?

Corbin Das

« Reply #3 on: Dec 06, 2019, 01:59 AM »
  After some consideration, I'm leaning towards having the box on the back.

It just means I'll have to figure out a different place to put the Akers voice amp. Not a big deal. I can still have a fan in the box, with the air blowing up through the hoses and into the lower front of the helmet. Ultimately, it's easier to relocate the Akers than to try and reroute air into the helmet.  The way it sets on me, there's not a lot of space inside the back of the helmet to add stuff.  So having air up front makes more sense to me.

Any elements in the box (fan, lights, etc) can have the wires run through the hoses to switches on the coupler, that will magnetically mount to the chin area of the helmet. Internally, I'll have hoses, ducts or some other pathway for the air to get up to my face as well as the visor area. The only thing I'll need to be mindful of is to not have the air flow directly onto the wireless microphone. Still brainstorming on that one.

In other news..... I picked up a WWII Swedish ammo belt, like this one. Got a leather box pouch too.

Also, I'm thinking of using a couple plastic boxes I have on the armor somewhere. They're made to
carry an auto injector, like an Epi-pen, just for migraines (which I unfortunately get)."Swarzy" enough?

Another item I've gathered up is about half a dozen 5v powerbanks with USB ports, to charge
your phone (or power armor/helmet electronics). They look like firearm magazines, sorta. So
having a few of them somewhere on my body wouldn't look out of place.

Now, I have to decide which configuration to wear the belt and the boxes. You can see how
the cold cast aluminum will have a gap on the chest and collar sections. The trauma plates
will cover that, but allow for more range of motion, without the plates binding or buckling.

As always, I'd love to hear your thoughts and suggestions.

« Last Edit: Dec 06, 2019, 02:06 AM by Corbin Das » Logged

Rayne

• Dralshy’a Tome (Stronger Together)
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Brigades Award for 10 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
« Reply #4 on: Dec 06, 2019, 08:55 AM »
Looks like you’ve got a solid plan for your kit.

The pouches you purchased should be good. I’ve seen a few people get those and they seem to hold up well trooping.

The plastic box and USB drive will have to be significantly modified to make them look like they belong in Star Wars. You’d need to add greeblies, plates, etc to disguise them so they are not recognizable.

For the question you had earlier regarding the pilot box and diamond, according to the CRLs for a Mandalorian pilot “If the life support box is worn on the backplate, a center diamond is required.”

Also the flightsuit has to be an entire suit. I can be 1 piece or 2. If it’s 2 pieces, both need to be the same color and fabrics and must look like it’s a one piece flightsuit. So you can use a second pair of the pants to make a top shirt, but you must have a flightsuit top underneath your flakvest.

The gloves you picked will work well. You need to remove or cover any logos and brands but that should be pretty easy.

You’ve got a great start! I look forward to watching your progress.

« Last Edit: Dec 22, 2019, 01:45 PM by Rayne » Logged
Tra'cor Clan // MMCC#1968
Dralshy’a Tome

The Armorer WIP

Satine WIP

Corbin Das

« Reply #5 on: Dec 22, 2019, 04:24 AM »
You’ve got a great start! I look forward to watching your progress.

Thanks Ruus'alor.

I kinda figured I'd have to "dress up" the powerbanks somehow. Granted, only the last couple inches of them will be visible when in pouches (bottoms, without the USB slot). Wasn't sure if the auto injector boxes were OK with some paint, or if they'd need more. Either way, it's an easy fix. I'm going to try and make it to the Feb meetup, in Lansing, I hope. It's close to my wedding anniversary though, so we might be going somewhere.

I saw the CRLs about a pilot;s box, though honestly, I wasn't initially planning on doing a pilot, per se. I just wanted a chest or back box, with hoses going to the helmet. Wouldn't mind doing a pilot eventually, but I'd have to mod the helmet, which at this point, I'd like to just get wearable.

Haven't decided if I'll go with a leather harness for the back box or have it attached to a back plate yet. Thinking about some sort of long vest with what would amount to a kama on the lower section. Something like this:

« Last Edit: Dec 22, 2019, 04:53 AM by Corbin Das » Logged

Rayne

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Brigades Award for 10 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
« Reply #6 on: Dec 22, 2019, 02:03 PM »
It’d be great if you could make it to our Tra’cor February meet up! That would give you a chance to meet everyone and us to meet you, but we understand that life happens. Your wife is welcome to join us too.

For the flak vest and Kama, they need to be 2 separate pieces. They can be the same fabric, but can’t be one long piece in the back. Otherwise, you’re on the right track.

Hope to meet you soon!

Dralshy’a Tome

The Armorer WIP

Satine WIP

Corbin Das

« Reply #7 on: Dec 23, 2019, 04:03 AM »
I have it drawn wrong. The flak vest is definitely a separate piece. The "overvest" I was thinking could be one piece. It'd be like a pirate's  long vest that gets belted.

Like this, but shorter and with less wrap around  on the front.

« Last Edit: Dec 23, 2019, 04:16 AM by Corbin Das » Logged

Leinad Ichslab

• I can bring you in warm or I can bring you in cold
« Reply #8 on: Dec 23, 2019, 04:17 AM »
I'm absolutely digging those boots!

Do you have a link for those gloves you bought?

Rayne

« Reply #10 on: Dec 25, 2019, 08:57 AM »
Dusters (overvests) are allowed. Here are guidelines for them :

Dusters and Capes
-Must cover your full back
-weathering consistent with that found on the rest of the costume
-must show the chest armor underneath
-may not be used to mount any armor plating.
-may not have long Sleeves

Hope that helps!

« Last Edit: Jan 01, 2020, 09:11 PM by Rayne » Logged
Dralshy’a Tome

The Armorer WIP

Satine WIP

Corbin Das

« Reply #11 on: Dec 28, 2019, 10:44 PM »
 Thanks for the CRLs for dusters. I think my vision of it should comply. The only thing that might come into question is whether I could have an extra set of plates on the tops of the shoulders (on the duster). I'd still have the regular pauldrons attached to the flak vest, but was wondering about some sort of plate on the tops of the duster's shoulders, with flanges or something to keep the hoses from sliding off the shoulders. If it's an issue, I can come up with something else. Magnets or whatever.

Here's a more revised version of the armor, showing that the kama-like section is actually part of the sleeveless duster.

Being that I'm not currently trying to be a pilot before even becoming an OM, I wasn't sure if pilot CRLs would apply if I just wanted to have a back box with hoses.  I think the pilot CRLS require a back box either attached to a back plate or suspended by a harness. Seeing as how I'm hoping to not have to use a back plate, that would leave a harness. Ideally, I'd want the box stuck (perhaps with magnets) to corresponding magnets on the flak vest, though they'd be separated by the duster. Not sure if that'd be allowed or not though.

Rayne

« Reply #12 on: Jan 01, 2020, 09:08 PM »
I’m glad it sound like it fits into your plan!  The duster can’t be used to mount any armor plating, but as all plate to help with your hoses may be allowed. You just want to make sure it doesn’t look like armor plating, but a connection of some sort. We’ll be able to tell you for sure when you get the building that part, make sure you post photos so we can very if it’ll be allowed.

I’ll ask about the back box and get back to you on that.

Dralshy’a Tome

The Armorer WIP

Satine WIP

Rayne

« Reply #13 on: Jan 02, 2020, 09:14 PM »
The pilot box secured on top of the duster isn’t allowed.  Unfortunately, nothing can be mounted on the duster.

Your concept is progressing nicely. Can’t wait to see it come together!

Dralshy’a Tome

The Armorer WIP

Satine WIP

Corbin Das

« Reply #14 on: Jan 09, 2020, 12:03 AM »
The pilot box secured on top of the duster isn’t allowed.  Unfortunately, nothing can be mounted on the duster.

Thanks Rayne.

Might have to make a harness for the box. Or just let it hang by the hoses? I'll figure something out.

Rayne

« Reply #15 on: Jan 09, 2020, 08:19 AM »
If you did a harness for the box, it’d probably be more comfortable to wear, but it’s up to you.

You’ve put a lot of thought into your concept. I look forward to seeing what you do with your build.

Dralshy’a Tome

The Armorer WIP

Satine WIP

Corbin Das

« Reply #16 on: Jan 15, 2020, 06:41 PM »
If you did a harness for the box, it’d probably be more comfortable to wear, but it’s up to you.

Looking into how best to do a harness. Thought about just hanging a smaller version off the back of the helmet. Maybe having the Akers amplifier in it, with the speaker moved somewhere up front, with the wires running through the hoses. We'll see.

Corbin Das

« Reply #17 on: Jan 22, 2020, 04:09 AM »
Small update:

As a forum supporter, I'm now able to access the Brigade sections. So I can see the requirements for doing an Arctic Mandalorian. Might try to steer that way with my current build, so there are fewer changes I'll have to make later. The brown leather belt and harness might not work. Brown boots might have to change too.

My wonderful wife bought me some new Canadian Mukluk boots, for my 50th Birthday. As a Snowtrooper in the 501st, and having my old boots way too large for me, these new ones are great. So, I figured I might have it so I can add some armor plates and maybe some rockets to the Mukuks, to use them with my "snow-Mando. I'll still use the leather ones too, but maybe for a separate set of armor. We'll see.

To that end, I've re-drawn the armor, with Mukluk boots.

Had thought about converting my Snowie's backpack into something that could replace the back box, but I wasn't sure if it might break the 80/20 rule, since Snowtroopers already use them, as well as Mukluks. Maybe if the backpack was sufficiently altered?

« Last Edit: Jan 22, 2020, 04:32 AM by Corbin Das » Logged

Sabine

• Awards Award for 75 official invasions. 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 50 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
« Reply #18 on: Jan 22, 2020, 08:36 AM »
Mukluks are allowed, but laces still need to be covered so you won't to worry about them being too snowtrooper-y. For my arctic kit, I got moon boots with mukluk style laces, so I'm planning to make the type of spats mountain climbers use to cover them up. and keep snow out of the boot while traipsing through knee high+ mounds. Something similar should free you up to use a snow trooper pack, which you can add accents to so it matches your kit and looks like yeah, you stole it, but you've had time to make it your own.

Sabine Wren S2

Tra'cor Clan || MMCC#1593 || M5#71 || NOS#9 || 96 OM Invasions

Sar Vitaan

• Batuu Clan Foundling
« Reply #19 on: Jan 22, 2020, 08:52 AM »
This is looking awesome! Do you have a link for the pants and shirt? Right up my alley!

Corbin Das

« Reply #20 on: Jan 22, 2020, 04:18 PM »
I'm planning to make the type of spats mountain climbers use to cover them up. and keep snow out of the boot while traipsing through knee high+ mounds.

Great idea. I'll probably do that. Might even add a plate to the spats. Thanks.

This is looking awesome! Do you have a link for the pants and shirt? Right up my alley!

Thanks. They look really skinny in this picture, but here's the link. I personally recommend getting the next size up from what you normally wear, so they aren't as tight on the thighs. They come in a slate gray/blue as well.  I bought a small pair as well, to turn into matching sleeves. As they are, they'd work well for desert.  I'll be using Rit Color Remover to lighten up the tan ones. Had thought about using it in a spray bottle to give more of a "snow camo" effect, but it'll depend on whether the application team think the tan is OK for Arctic or if it needs to be lighter. EDIT TO ADD: THE TAN PANTS WILL PROBABLY BE A NO-GO IF I WANT TO JOIN BRIGADE AS AN ARCTIC MANDO.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/No-Boundaries-Men-s-Twill-Moto-Jogger-Pants/662349959

The other option I might do are these. They're light gray & off white with ribbed sections on the thighs and knees. They bunched up a little in this pic, but should look pretty nice once I add knees or "shnees".

« Last Edit: Jan 24, 2020, 03:02 AM by Corbin Das » Logged

Corbin Das

« Reply #21 on: Jan 31, 2020, 03:06 AM »
  Just thought I'd add an update on the heads up display 've been developing for my helmet. Here's the thread:
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=185064.0

Basic drawing on how it works.

« Last Edit: Feb 05, 2020, 02:24 AM by Corbin Das » Logged

Rayne

« Reply #22 on: Jan 31, 2020, 07:50 AM »
Neat idea. I look forward to seeing how you build it.

Dralshy’a Tome

The Armorer WIP

Satine WIP

Corbin Das

« Reply #23 on: Jan 31, 2020, 05:28 PM »
Neat idea. I look forward to seeing how you build it.

Thanks.

I'll probably have it at the Feb meet up, in Lansing.

« Last Edit: Feb 04, 2020, 06:18 PM by Corbin Das » Logged

Corbin Das

« Reply #24 on: Feb 26, 2020, 12:50 AM »
Bit of an update:

Got my gauntlets printed, but haven't got them in hand yet. My friend Justin designed them for himself, but offered to print a set for me as well. Mine are a mirrored version, with the keypad on the right gauntlet, as I'm left handed. Here's what they look like right now:

What his looks like when more finished. Mine will have different greeblies:

For any interested, here's a link to his WIP. I know a few of you mentioned you liked his kit, when I recently met you at the Lansing meetup.
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=170682.0

On another note, I've got a basic design for my jet boots now. Even though rear zippers are no longer something you have to hide, I think I'll still have a rear plate that will cover much of it. The jets will mount to them. I'm looking to use a couple small stainless flasks as fuel tanks and these types of mini shower heads as jet nozzles:

I'll post a concept drawing, once I make one.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!