Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Obey Wann Custom Legacy kit

• 16 Replies

Obey Wann

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. EnviroOps
Obey Wann Custom Legacy kit
« on: Nov 26, 2019, 04:45 PM »
Greetings. I have an approved MMCC kit that I am also upgrading to Desert Ops.

http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=169051.0

I have decided to upgrade my front armor to Legacy style, so I thought I'd cover that part of the upgrades here.

I built an album on Imgur, hopefully you all will be able to see it:

https://imgur.com/a/nIKZVom

Here is my back armor:

Here is a rough start of the Ronan templates that I am using as a base framework:

And here are the Ohld Vart templates that I cut out. They fit me great.

I want to do a merging/customization of the Ronan and Old Vart... and will eventually design it up in Inventor so we can laser cut it out of steel at the location where I coach robotics. In the mean time, I cut out the OV templates in Sintra, and will give then a quick sanding to clean up edges tonight.

I will likely be adding trauma plating, to match with my heavier look.

I'll post more images and inspirations in a bit...

Please LMK if you can see the images in the album.

MMCC #2223 B.O.M.B. #107

Ohl'd Vart

• The PoL Cat
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 10 official invasions.
Re: Obey Wann Custom Legacy kit
« Reply #1 on: Nov 26, 2019, 04:46 PM »
Looks awesome... can't wait to see it completed! :D

Rob

Alorad of BVC (now House): 2007-2013
Alor of MMCC: 2013-2023
Counselor to Mandalore: 2024
Retired from MMCC: 02/10/24

"17 years...it was good, while it lasted."

Obey Wann

« Reply #2 on: Nov 26, 2019, 04:51 PM »
Looks awesome... can't wait to see it completed! :D

Rob

Thank you! I'm so glad you're still around and active, because I wanted to bounce things off of you. I'm super excited to make these changes, because I think it will fit my (larger) frame much better, and will minimize (i.e. stop) all of the plate placement issues I've had.

Can you pop in that Imgur link and see if you can see the pics in the album? It'll give you an idea of inspiration and images I'm collecting to help me on this journey.

Also, do you have your templates in an Illustrator format, or one that Inventor could open?

« Last Edit: Nov 26, 2019, 04:57 PM by Obey Wann » Logged

MMCC #2223 B.O.M.B. #107

Ohl'd Vart

• The PoL Cat
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #3 on: Nov 26, 2019, 06:13 PM »
Thank you! I'm so glad you're still around and active, because I wanted to bounce things off of you. I'm super excited to make these changes, because I think it will fit my (larger) frame much better, and will minimize (i.e. stop) all of the plate placement issues I've had.

Can you pop in that Imgur link and see if you can see the pics in the album? It'll give you an idea of inspiration and images I'm collecting to help me on this journey.

Also, do you have your templates in an Illustrator format, or one that Inventor could open?

Yeah, I'm still here...been doing this for 14 years now, and as Tom's right-hand-man, I'm not likely to be going anywhere soon, lol. :D

That album is the bomb...it looks like you've got a solid foundation and concept of what you're aiming for. ;)

I've got the templates in an Autocad format, if those would help...just let me know. ;)

Rob

Novoc Mereel

• Back with a vengeance! He/Him
« Reply #4 on: Dec 04, 2019, 01:50 AM »
Really wonderful work so far, mate!

Obey Wann

« Reply #5 on: Dec 18, 2019, 12:30 PM »
Thanks, everyone!

We haven't been idle.

I have a 17-y.o. son who I'm also helping on his armor... and he is in a STEM school locally. I challenged him to help me tweak and modify the existing CAD Legacy designs by Drake and Old Vahrt, and merge those designs with the back plates I had originally made my hand and sketch for my kit.

I'm a mean old dad, and challenged him to learn how to CAD it, and even do the math to figure out the angles that I had done by hand... and then we went from there.

Then, we talked about armor design, even going back to in the LOTR movies, you could tell a race by the shapes, angles and lines of their armor and equipment.

We then looked at my NME Stalker helmet, his Soul Seeker, and the Recon helmet I plan on getting for my 2nd kit... and we tried to make something where the angles and lines fit together across the board.

We also talked about adding in extra protection where it would be logical -- like the kidney plates, and where it just looks cool and functional -- like the hip armor. We also created some spinal protection trauma plates, and there will be more trauma plates on the other pieces.

Then, I picked up a 4x8 sheet of 6mm Sintra for the main armor and a 4x8 sheet of Sintra for the trauma plates.

We did a lot of consulting with the hive mind, and learned that we can't laser cut the Sintra, but we can laser cut cardboard templates at his school. Apparently, it does bad things if you laser cut Sintra.

In time, we are looking at the possibility of cutting these out of steel at the robotics center I coach at.... and doing at least 2 sizes -- one for beefier BOMB Mandos like me, and one for skinny gits like him.

Initial sketches and sizing notes:

And what he has done:

First cuts of the 6mm:

Cardboard templates:

So today, my son is going to use the Old Vahrt designs as an inspiration for the angles and look we are going for. I'll post up more as we progress.

I'm super proud of how his CAD skills are progressing already, and how the armor is looking so far. LMK what you think!

MMCC #2223 B.O.M.B. #107

Bryn Cin'Prudii

• ~What killed the dinosaurs? THE ICE AGE!
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Airmobile brigade member Shock Infantry Brigade Member Special Weapons EnviroOps
« Reply #6 on: Dec 18, 2019, 03:06 PM »
Commenting to follow. I like the individual design approach to legacy. Makes your kit unique

Cerar Clan OM#1935 Tri-Division Brigade Member#262
Apply to Brigades here!
New Item Approval

Ohl'd Vart

• The PoL Cat
« Reply #7 on: Dec 18, 2019, 04:24 PM »
Love it! :D

Rob

cknight68

• The Phantom of Kamino and Manaan King
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. EnviroOps Beastmaster Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions. 40+ hrs of Charity Work
« Reply #8 on: Dec 19, 2019, 06:35 PM »
You're definitely on the right track, Obey and your progress is amazing. As your Ruus'alor and fellow legacy armor bearer I cant wait to see this in more detail! Here is the image you requested.

I bought my legacy kit second hand off of someone down in florida and repaired and repainted it. Legacy kits are easy enough to assemble. I used a nylon strap and used chicago screws to keep the pieces attached and leather straps for the sides. Keep in mind the backplate for my kit is not a legacy style plate but its still approvable. I hope this helps. Message me if you have any questions!  ;D

Caleb Knight
Ri Va'lure (Recon) and Noac Toa the Mermando
MMCC #1827
Brigaider #247
Taakure Clan-Indiana
Ruus'alor

Obey Wann

« Reply #9 on: Apr 05, 2020, 08:25 PM »
It's been a while since I posted an update to my WIPs.

This is a full redesign and replacement of my approved armor from standard to Legacy. I will also be applying for Desert Ops Brigades with this upgrade when done.

Today was an ultra productive day on the armor. I finished strapping the armor, and did a full op-test, including a new kama made from my duster.

I still have to fix the front and back collar plates, and probably tweak the kama so it sits better with the blasters. But I'm really close. I'll add black and brown washes to the new armor tonight or tomorrow.

I will also add velcro to the bottom ab plate to hold it better to my vest. My gut makes it pop out too much. :(

I also have to remove all of the velcro from the vest. Since I shifted from Fett to Legacy plates.

We also started marking templates for kidney plates. I'm probably a couple of days from being ready to submit for Desert Ops brigades.

lots of pictures incoming. It shows the step-by-step of how I get kitted up into this rig:

Bottom on, with pants, boots, belt with cod and armored cod, puttees and knees. Knees go on before the boots. I will also add velcro to the pants to keep the knees from sliding around:

High quality suspenders keep the pants from shifting on me.

Add the combat shirt and the kama and blasters:

Add the belly wrap. This covers the kama belt.

Add the girth belt. I like the color contrast.

Add the vest. I will remove the velcro before submitting. This is a holdover from my Fett plates.

Add the collar plate, chest, back and shoulders. This all goes on like football armor. Biceps fit onto the arms.

I will fix the attachment of the collar to the chest, add the back collar to the back armor, and heat gun it so it all overlaps properly. This is still a WIP.

Here is the whole ensemble, complete with guntlets , cape, belts, etc.

I have full mobility, and can take my bucket off and put it on, and get to my weapons. I will likely move or adjust my kama so I can access the blasters easier.

We are also looking at adding in kidney armor. With my gut and body shape, it feels exceptionally vulnerable and unbalanced to have all of this area exposed. I'll work on this over the next few days.

All in all, I'm quite pleased with the progress.

MMCC #2223 B.O.M.B. #107

Bryn Cin'Prudii

• ~What killed the dinosaurs? THE ICE AGE!
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Airmobile brigade member Shock Infantry Brigade Member Special Weapons EnviroOps
« Reply #10 on: Apr 06, 2020, 10:48 AM »
Letting you know I commentd on FB as well

My biggest nit is to add a few pieces of velcro under the lowest 2 lames on the ab sections to allow the plates to curve a bit more. Hold them to your body.

Great work on this, the shoulders really sell the kit as a whole.

The flank plating is also a great idea. I would keep the lamellar patterning you have on the front and apply it to the sides as well.

Cerar Clan OM#1935 Tri-Division Brigade Member#262
Apply to Brigades here!
New Item Approval

Obey Wann

« Reply #11 on: Apr 06, 2020, 11:08 AM »
Thanks! Yup, I'm definitely going to add some velcro to the ab plates to hold it to my belly better. I was even thinking of adding a strap around the belly, if needed. Hopefully the velcro will do it.

For the sides, I think that I'm going to do is a false-Legacy (lamellar -- I learned a new word!) for those. We're going to make one or two panels to get velcroed onto the flak vest, but have it give the appearance of the overlapping Legacy plates.

In the Brigades forums they recommended I hit all of the soft goods with more weathering. So I'll likely be ordering some more Design Master floral paint, or see if I can hit it with watered down acrylics. My supplies of spray paint are getting low and I'm loathe to leave the house for something nonessential like spray paint.

I also did something fun to the chest, I'll get a pic of that up in a bit. Something that Moby inspired me to do.  ;)

ED: Check out this update Moby inspired me to do:

it's still WIP, but I cut out a sketched mythosaur in 3mm Sintra. Then, I hit the inner edges with a soldering gun tip to gouge in the inner edges. I then put a drill bit in the dremel, and used it like a pen to router out the design.

I then used the last of my hammered paint on it. I do have the iron heart I can put in there if needed.

« Last Edit: Apr 06, 2020, 11:22 AM by Obey Wann » Logged

MMCC #2223 B.O.M.B. #107

cknight68

• Awards Award for 50 official invasions. EnviroOps Beastmaster Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions. 40+ hrs of Charity Work
« Reply #12 on: Apr 07, 2020, 12:52 PM »
Looking mighty sharp there bill! I love the weathering details on it!

Caleb Knight
MMCC #1827
Brigaider #247
Taakure Clan-Indiana
Ruus'alor

Obey Wann

« Reply #13 on: Apr 07, 2020, 10:27 PM »
Tuesday night update:

I spent a couple of hours weathering soft goods tonight:

MMCC #2223 B.O.M.B. #107

cknight68

« Reply #14 on: Apr 09, 2020, 04:27 PM »
Those are looking great vod! How did you weather them?? *taking tips, jotting notes with curious intrigue*

Caleb Knight
MMCC #1827
Brigaider #247
Taakure Clan-Indiana
Ruus'alor

Obey Wann

« Reply #15 on: Apr 11, 2020, 05:48 PM »

MMCC #2223 B.O.M.B. #107
« Reply #16 on: Apr 21, 2020, 03:14 PM »
Great looking build! It was cool seeing parts of this in the armor party you did as well.
I look forward to seeing the side armor. I might use it as a reference for if I do one lol

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!