Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Vibroblade/sword question/idea

• 9 Replies
Vibroblade/sword question/idea
« on: Nov 29, 2019, 05:04 PM »
So I was wondering if there are any specific guidelines as far as creating a vibrosword/blade for a costume build. I read through all the costume requirements and didn't see anything answering my question. Are there any images we have to base a bladed weapon off of or are we allowed quite a bit of creative license. I would like my character to carry a vibrosword and have an idea in mind for one but it isn't strictly based off canon/legends art work I have seen. I do have plans to incorporate vibration (hidden in the hilt but should make the whole "blade" (sintra with a bamboo core) vibrate. Does this sound acceptable? I can post some drawings if anyone needs them for reference

Fenris Claddanna

• Chaotic Fun
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
Re: Vibroblade/sword question/idea
« Reply #1 on: Dec 02, 2019, 04:53 PM »
Drawings will definitely help, but for the most part you do have a lot of creative license in the design. The only real restrictions are that it has to look in-universe/it can't be recognizably Earthy or from another franchise, it can't be a weapon unique to a Canon/Legends character(ie: the Darksaber is only approvable for Pre Viszla and Sabine), and no live metal. Outside of that, make it you. There are a lot of good references out there for various styles of blades, from vibrorapiers to machetes.

I look forward to seeing what you come up with. Cheers ^_^

Oyacyir mav, ash'amur pirusti

OM#1624
Kyrimorut#021:KMB# 32:B.E.A.R.D.S#128:W.B. #08:MTS#082:M.M.R.S#017

OriKad

• The Grizzled Old Sergeant of Mav Oya'la Clan
  • Awards Force Hunter Brigade Member Special Weapons 267th Rapid Assault Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Airmobile brigade member
« Reply #2 on: Dec 03, 2019, 12:46 PM »
I'd advise skipping the vibration part.  It won't really do anything except add a parts expense to the build, and more time needed to install them, then chew up batteries over time.  If you want to spend the time and money, it would be better used on something that can be seen, like LEDs.

Everything else, though, Fenris has it right and he knows what he's talking about. It'll be good to see another blade guy around too. :)

« Reply #3 on: Dec 03, 2019, 03:00 PM »
Drawings will definitely help, but for the most part you do have a lot of creative license in the design. The only real restrictions are that it has to look in-universe/it can't be recognizably Earthy or from another franchise, it can't be a weapon unique to a Canon/Legends character(ie: the Darksaber is only approvable for Pre Viszla and Sabine), and no live metal. Outside of that, make it you. There are a lot of good references out there for various styles of blades, from vibrorapiers to machetes.

I look forward to seeing what you come up with. Cheers ^_^

Great! I was actually planning on drawing up full scale plans today.

I'd advise skipping the vibration part.  It won't really do anything except add a parts expense to the build, and more time needed to install them, then chew up batteries over time.  If you want to spend the time and money, it would be better used on something that can be seen, like LEDs.

Everything else, though, Fenris has it right and he knows what he's talking about. It'll be good to see another blade guy around too. :)

I actually had thought about putting a couple of dark purple LEDs in the hilt in a few spots (the blade is going to be black, cortosis is described as dark and in taking some artistic license to match the aesthetic of my kit)

Edit: here is a quick sketch up. The design was based on a friends artwork but I have his permission to recreate it as a costume weapon.
https://imgur.com/DpIRb5I

It's essentially two blades attached in the middle. Not sure why my link worked but not when trying to embed the image. Anyway my plans were sintra with a bamboo core as I've seen this work for other katana style blades. If that doesnt work I won't have lost much (I have 30 sq feet of sintra and a bunch of bamboo garden stakes in the barn of various lengths) and itll be back to the drawing board. The appeal of bamboo is it can be pretty easily bent either in a steam box in forms or wetted for 24-36 hrs then placed in forms to dry.

« Last Edit: Dec 03, 2019, 04:26 PM by Druun Qarnuk » Logged

OriKad

• The Grizzled Old Sergeant of Mav Oya'la Clan
  • Awards Force Hunter Brigade Member Special Weapons 267th Rapid Assault Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Airmobile brigade member
« Reply #4 on: Dec 04, 2019, 01:32 PM »
Nothing stands out from the drawing that would give the app team any concerns, so you're good to go!

Bamboo reinforced sintra is a definitely workable construction method.  My blades are solid poplar, because that's a little easier, but I didn't have the sintra and bamboo just lying around when I made them.  I'm definitely in favor of putting things together from the stuff you already have lying around. :)

« Reply #5 on: Dec 04, 2019, 01:36 PM »
Nothing stands out from the drawing that would give the app team any concerns, so you're good to go!

Bamboo reinforced sintra is a definitely workable construction method.  My blades are solid poplar, because that's a little easier, but I didn't have the sintra and bamboo just lying around when I made them.  I'm definitely in favor of putting things together from the stuff you already have lying around. :)

Yeah I have so much stuff just lying around that is coming in handy haha, thanks for the feedback! I had thought about working it out of wood but I am going to give it a try without, if it doesnt work out I'll probably opt for something similar.

Fenrir Kyramud

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports
« Reply #6 on: Dec 06, 2019, 12:53 PM »
I started to build a vibrosword out of a shinai. Then, I remembered (long way for a short point, sorry) I had a Cold Steel, polyurethane K-Bar and build a vibroknife around it. This lead me to down the polyurethane practice sword path. I'm about to put this out there as a WIP, but here is what I've done so far. Perhaps this will help with inspiration.

Cat# 1196
Iron Fang: #8
B.O.M.B.: #48.
V.O.T.S.: #43
Dog Lobster Supporter #46
G.O.M.O.L. #5

Arkham

• Awards Award for 50 official invasions. 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Legends of Mandalore Brigade Award for 10 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
« Reply #7 on: Dec 07, 2019, 07:49 AM »
Are there any images we have to base a bladed weapon off of or are we allowed quite a bit of creative license.

There are some reference pics of Star Wars melee weapons in the Jadd Halls of Knowledge Melee Weapons Reference Images post here on the forums. You can use this to get some ideas, but feel free to let your creative side go and come up with something cool

Arkham's WIP

Tra'cor Clan // G.O.M.O.L # 032 // M.V.S #68 // O.O.P.S.! #52 // L.O.B #49
« Reply #8 on: Dec 08, 2019, 11:46 AM »
I started to build a vibrosword out of a shinai. Then, I remembered (long way for a short point, sorry) I had a Cold Steel, polyurethane K-Bar and build a vibroknife around it. This lead me to down the polyurethane practice sword path. I'm about to put this out there as a WIP, but here is what I've done so far. Perhaps this will help with inspiration.

Lookin good I will check out the WIP when it is up.

Fenrir Kyramud

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports
« Reply #9 on: Dec 08, 2019, 03:15 PM »

Cat# 1196
Iron Fang: #8
B.O.M.B.: #48.
V.O.T.S.: #43
Dog Lobster Supporter #46
G.O.M.O.L. #5

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!