Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

My first Star Wars rifle! Help me MMCC, you're my only hope.

• 5 Replies
First time actually building something like this (and first time posting!) and I'm not entirely sure the direction I'm going with it. I've got some clan support that the basic concept of how it's presented looks good. Wanted to see if there was anything else here on the forums might be able to give pointers and direction. Most of the parts I am using are just spare and old parts that are not in use and or broken in the garage.

https://i.imgur.com/KjT7hNe.jpg

You'll see that I've colour coded the work I'm planning on doing.

Blue - I'm considering taking the angle die grinder piece and inserting it between the pipe where the markings are present on it. I'm uncertain if I should remove the small handle that's attached to it or leave it presently.

Purple - You'll notice there's a small pipe attachment that I have that I aim to attach to the blue valve connector that will be able to insert itself into the "main chamber" (That green pressure valve with all the holes in it). I'm either going to aim to plug off the remaining valve openings on the blue valve connector or use them to add more greebles to the rifle.

Red - Greebles greebles greebles. These are parts I'm possibly looking to add to the rifle. As for where I'm not sure as of yet.

Thank you for taking the time to read this!

When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home.
Re: My first Star Wars rifle! Help me MMCC, you're my only hope.
« Reply #1 on: Dec 02, 2019, 01:33 AM »
Im far from an OM so take this with several grains of salt. Better yet, take the whole carton.

That said, it looks like a good idea starting off. I especially like the grinder handle, just be sure it wont be too heavy on the barrel. if you could take the "guts" out and string it onto an internal dowel with the barrel sections done likewise thats going to ensure theres no way of turning round too fast, for example, and having the big heavy bit pop off from the whiplash. (been there done that on other props).

On the greeblies, a word of warning on the bits in the long skinny red bubble under the gas cartridge looking object: If thats typical air line and pump parts like from a nerf gun or aquarium, etc, they can be extremely difficult to get something that will stick to them paint wise. nylon and polyethylene can be pretty tricky and especially on flexible parts they seem to actively try to thwart your plans. Just wanted to point that out in the chance it saves you some headache.

I like the idea of having bits hanging down/off the "main reactor" bit as it looks sort of like a secondary refinement loop for plasma or something, like some crafty machinist in the outer rim tacked it on to get more power out of the system.

All in all its got an almost tusken look to it, like it was made from other parts but thats not necessarily a bad thing, given the precedent for new items to be made by welding together components from the junkyard seen in star wars. This may just be me but the scope seems like it should be longer, partially to give it some more visual interest and partially because to me it reminds me of victorian era "sniper" (really just good sharpshooters by todays standards) rifles. the scopes on those sometimes ran all the way to the muzzle and made for a very interesting look. Again im not sure if it works with the idea youve got for the blaster's backstory but to me a long obsolete scope, maybe with a couple wires or probe greeblies, really seems like itd fit the overal aesthetic.

thats my probably unwarranted two cents on the matter, it looks like a great start and I cant wait to see it coming along. I finally got settled down after moving back from a year in the desert so looking forward to doing more work on my own rifle soon. Cheers!

I hit hot metal with heavy metal to make sharp metal.

Fenn Beviin

• MMCC #: 2116
  • Awards Mandalorian Protector Brigade Member
« Reply #2 on: Dec 05, 2019, 09:55 PM »
All the above advice is pretty solid. I would also suggest that you add another section between the stock and the barrel portion that would serve as a 'chamber of sorts. As is, the proportions are a little off and it looks too condensed.

Overall, I like the direction you are going with this

"Try not to become a man of success, but a man of value."

Instagram: mythos_fenn_shysa

Mythos Fenn Arms (A Sales Thread): https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=174182.msg2066382#new

Fenn Shysa WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=80765.0

Blaster Addiction - So many Blasters: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=110659.msg1820500
« Reply #3 on: Dec 16, 2019, 08:35 AM »
I love all the feedback that I've been given! I started to follow up on some of the advice given to me and make things a little different to add more to it as you will see here: https://i.imgur.com/EOJoGXa.jpg

I had only just begun and started to have several frustrations of keeping the top barrel connected to a piece I was using. I have tried most methods I am capable of using to keep the pieces together outside of welding and I don't know how to do that. There are a couple of possibilities why it's not working, however this rifle project has taken up quite a bit of my time and has drawn me away from completing my armor construction so I may submit my application sooner with the aim to become an OM.

With that I feel it may be best to put the rifle project to the side now and go for a more simple approach. I took a Nerf gun that I had and followed the forums policies on Nerf weaponry to construct this instead: https://i.imgur.com/UR1wMzQ.jpg

Keeping things simple for now before diving into a heavier project that will take more time will probably be worth it, but I will still hold onto the advice given to me.

I will probably aim to add a blade or a traditional beskad of sorts perhaps along with gauntlet weaponry. Any advice and tips on my modified nerf gun I will gladly take.

Thank you for your time and support!  :cookie:

When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home.

Anansi

• Ratiin Am Jate'Kara
  • Awards Donated one quarter of 2023. Award for 10 official invasions. Special Weapons 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
« Reply #4 on: Dec 16, 2019, 09:15 PM »
You've received some pretty good advice, especially when it comes to weight. Think about carrying your blaster for a multi-hour troop. Furthermore, are you going to hand carry it or attach a sling? If it's slung over a shoulder, will the parts scratch up your armor or snag?

TL;DR Make it sturdy and comfortable to carry.

May Hod Ha'ran guide my tongue, may Kad Ha'rangir guide my gun, and may Arasuum guide you to your final slumber.

MMCC #2010 - Nevik Marev
Cabur Akaata Member 139 | O.S.B.A. 007
Gunslinger - Special Weapons Brigade
Anansi's Longstrike Carbine
Another Anansi Nerf Mod
Anansi's Armor WIP
« Reply #5 on: Dec 17, 2019, 10:58 PM »
You've received some pretty good advice, especially when it comes to weight. Think about carrying your blaster for a multi-hour troop. Furthermore, are you going to hand carry it or attach a sling? If it's slung over a shoulder, will the parts scratch up your armor or snag?

TL;DR Make it sturdy and comfortable to carry.

In the near future I do plan to make sure there will be a sling attached. The weight distribution will be key to making sure it's comfy to carry for troops but I never thought about snagging on armor, that's a good one to keep in mind as well!

Im far from an OM so take this with several grains of salt. Better yet, take the whole carton.

That said, it looks like a good idea starting off. I especially like the grinder handle, just be sure it wont be too heavy on the barrel. if you could take the "guts" out and string it onto an internal dowel with the barrel sections done likewise thats going to ensure theres no way of turning round too fast, for example, and having the big heavy bit pop off from the whiplash. (been there done that on other props).

On the greeblies, a word of warning on the bits in the long skinny red bubble under the gas cartridge looking object: If thats typical air line and pump parts like from a nerf gun or aquarium, etc, they can be extremely difficult to get something that will stick to them paint wise. nylon and polyethylene can be pretty tricky and especially on flexible parts they seem to actively try to thwart your plans. Just wanted to point that out in the chance it saves you some headache.

I like the idea of having bits hanging down/off the "main reactor" bit as it looks sort of like a secondary refinement loop for plasma or something, like some crafty machinist in the outer rim tacked it on to get more power out of the system.

All in all its got an almost tusken look to it, like it was made from other parts but thats not necessarily a bad thing, given the precedent for new items to be made by welding together components from the junkyard seen in star wars. This may just be me but the scope seems like it should be longer, partially to give it some more visual interest and partially because to me it reminds me of victorian era "sniper" (really just good sharpshooters by todays standards) rifles. the scopes on those sometimes ran all the way to the muzzle and made for a very interesting look. Again im not sure if it works with the idea youve got for the blaster's backstory but to me a long obsolete scope, maybe with a couple wires or probe greeblies, really seems like itd fit the overal aesthetic.

thats my probably unwarranted two cents on the matter, it looks like a great start and I cant wait to see it coming along. I finally got settled down after moving back from a year in the desert so looking forward to doing more work on my own rifle soon. Cheers!

I must thank you for all the advice you dropped in one big post! It's awesome that it's all good to give me a good direction to look into. Thank you!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!