Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Starting a bucket, need help (WIP)

• 11 Replies
Starting a bucket, need help (WIP)
« on: Dec 02, 2019, 03:10 PM »
Big STAR WARS fan ofcourse, just joined the mercs and to kick it off I want to start a bucket build.
Already seen a ton of forum posts, tutorials and pepa schemes and I'm a bit overwhelmed and have no idea how to start.

Bit of introduction, I'm thinking of building a custom design legacy helmet, taking inspiration from SWJFH A6 and Modified Boba pepa schemes.
I don't know what base to use or start from scratch (3D print perhaps) since the majority will be custom design. I am competent with 2D CAD software and I'm pretty handy, so I can handle a challenge. With some intro I think I can handle 3D design, I have Fusion360 installed.

Open to any suggestion, tips, materials to use, tutorials or basic 3D schemes to get started

« Last Edit: Dec 11, 2019, 05:08 PM by DutchMerc » Logged

hereticdave

• Se'nizi Jasra
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
Re: Starting a bucket, need help
« Reply #1 on: Dec 03, 2019, 06:47 AM »
Oya! A great base to start from if you're looking to scratch build is taking a skate helmet and using that to attach your other bits too, I used 3mm sintra in two layers, reinforced with fibreglass, but you can use other materials if you have them to hand. Using the templates can give you a good "blank" to work from and modify. Have you got any designs sketched out?

3ddyb

• Omax Rak
« Reply #2 on: Dec 03, 2019, 01:28 PM »
I started by downloading papercraft plans, it gave me the basic sizes and helped give me a starting point.

I used steel sheets for mine but I was working for a sheet metal company at the time, and had free access to their scrap bin.

Honestly just get a plan in place, find what you have available and don't give up :like:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/185812421@N03/49164541301/in/dateposted-public/

"An artist by nature,  a monster by necessity..."
« Reply #3 on: Dec 11, 2019, 01:48 PM »
Following to see where discussion goes. Have my own idea on how to form my bucket but am searching for helm accessory resources and ideas.

Re: Starting a bucket, need help (WIP)
« Reply #4 on: Dec 11, 2019, 05:12 PM »
So, I got started on designing a bucket in autocad. It's mostly based of the standard mandalorian/jango bucket with a slightly different visor and trims. thinking of maybe adding a custom rangefinder or binoculars and maybe changing/tilting the earpads.

plz let me know what you think (colours are just to give an idea on different parts)

I've also started messing a bit with Fusion and I'm almost starting to feel comfortable. Any tips? I'm starting with my autocad sketches to create surfaces, then solids. What model do you need to print? Mesh?

Grimstuff

• Ayyy
« Reply #5 on: Dec 12, 2019, 03:15 AM »
Fusion is pretty intuitive, your 2D experience should transfer over pretty easily since it's so sketch based. Run through a few tutorials and I'm sure you'll pick it up pretty easily. Once you get the foothold in it's just a matter of googling specific problems you run into after that.

Design looks very cool, chamfers on the visor edges are a neat industrial look. One thing I'd suggest though is to not have the bottom of the visor mandibles end in that perfect of a triangle, it's super hard to get a visor to mount that tightly where no gap will be visible with how it's setup there. Give it a CM or so untill the triangle starts so you have some wiggle room there.

For printing you can keep it as a fusion body no problem, it has really nice 3d printing support. File -> 3D print is all you need to do to convert it to an STL. Or File -> Export to an .stl if your model is split up into parts and you just wanna just output it all. It'll handle all the conversion to a tri-mesh itself.

« Last Edit: Dec 12, 2019, 03:20 AM by Grimstuff » Logged
« Reply #6 on: Dec 12, 2019, 05:20 AM »
Thanks for the feedback! Still updating the design, although I don't quite understand what you mean with CM

Grimstuff

• Ayyy
« Reply #7 on: Dec 12, 2019, 12:17 PM »
Centimeter :)

We probably use too many different acronyms in these communities lol, I can see how you'd assume it was something else. Specially since I capped it for some reason.

But yeah just a little nudge inwards like this should be plenty good.

« Last Edit: Dec 12, 2019, 12:25 PM by Grimstuff » Logged
« Reply #8 on: Dec 12, 2019, 04:22 PM »
Thanks for the tip. here's my second render

« Reply #9 on: Dec 13, 2019, 06:18 PM »
Making big steps in Fusion. got the base for the helmet done!

Grimstuff

• Ayyy
« Reply #10 on: Dec 13, 2019, 07:18 PM »
Looks great!

« Reply #11 on: Dec 15, 2019, 10:26 AM »
looks great, doesn't work unfortunately. model is getting pretty complex and I can't get the faces for the earpieces right. i've been having a lot of issues with too much edges and missallignment. any tips on what steps to take / techniques to use to get a simple as possible model?

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!