Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Starting first build

• 41 Replies
Starting first build
« on: Dec 02, 2019, 08:57 PM »
Good evening all, New to the realm of kit building looking at starting my first build (if you don't count the jawa). I am currently leaning towards doing a modern build seems to be the easiest. have it limited down to these three color schemes. but not the finer details yet... any input will be appreciated. link is to one of my Tumblr blogs, couldn't figure out how to post pictures.

https://www.tumblr.com/blog/puttingtogetherasoupsandwitch

« Last Edit: Dec 03, 2019, 05:15 PM by n33rdysoldier » Logged

Bel Tay'haai

• M.A. #081
Re: Starting first build
« Reply #1 on: Dec 03, 2019, 12:54 PM »
I would recommend using Imgur to upload pictures. Then all you need to do is click the "Insert Image" option above the text box and paste in the direct link.

I like your third color scheme. Throw in a faded/ombre red kama and you've got a cool sunset look.

« Reply #2 on: Dec 03, 2019, 02:24 PM »
Okay. Thank you. I’ll figure that out when I’m at an actual computer. Was also leaning more towards the last one.

« Reply #3 on: Dec 03, 2019, 05:13 PM »
So its later... working with the " Using Imgur to share images on the boards"  thing... not finding the BBCode

Bel Tay'haai

• M.A. #081
« Reply #4 on: Dec 03, 2019, 05:28 PM »
So its later... working with the " Using Imgur to share images on the boards"  thing... not finding the BBCode

It's the button right under the button for bolding, kinda looks like a pixelated Mona Lisa. Or you can type in [img!]url goes here[/img!] without the exclamation points.

« Reply #5 on: Dec 03, 2019, 06:25 PM »
It's the button right under the button for bolding, kinda looks like a pixelated Mona Lisa. Or you can type in [img!]url goes here[/img!] without the exclamation points.

got that far, site is not accepting the url between the [img!] either way I input it (manually typed or clicked), but will take the [url!]. keeps posting blank.

« Last Edit: Dec 03, 2019, 07:13 PM by n33rdysoldier » Logged

Hik'aari

• Nick'aari
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Special Weapons 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events
« Reply #6 on: Dec 04, 2019, 01:24 PM »
Hey there, hopefully I can help. Are you using a mobile phone or a PC?
Ideally you will have a link to your photo that is something like https://imagehostingsite.com/MyImage.jpg
As a real example, this is the direct link to one of my images in Imgur: https://i.imgur.com/lu5l9Qk.jpg
To make it display as an image on the forum I would type it as follows: [img]https://i.imgur.com/lu5l9Qk.jpg[/img]
Then when you post it it should appear like the following:

Some things to note. If trying to link from Facebook it can actually hide the images from others depending on your sharing settings. Facebook will also tend to move photos around on their side and that changes the link so they break. Google photos will also typically always be locked down due to sharing settings so will not share.

We recommend a dedicated photo hosting platform. For Support and Auxillary members of the forum there is also the option of image hosting directly on the forum.

If anything is unclear I will attempt to help further :)

Hik'aari WIP  |  Cat #1319  |  Akii'su WIP
Need Help? Rules and Guides
« Reply #7 on: Dec 05, 2019, 12:38 PM »
ahh haa, finally got it to work. Thank you for the assist. these were the three colors that I had narrowed down the scheme down to. posted in order of personal preference. right now trying to decide if it is a good idea to build two in one go as a first time builder or if I should hold off and wait and if i still want the second color scheme that I like build it down the road.

« Last Edit: Dec 05, 2019, 12:42 PM by n33rdysoldier » Logged
« Reply #8 on: Dec 05, 2019, 12:49 PM »
these are the two schemes that I like the most.

Jin'thal Ca'vallas

• Mandalorians are stronger together
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
« Reply #9 on: Dec 05, 2019, 04:10 PM »
varying shades of grey is a challenge by itself. most of the time it just comes off as monotone.....not saying that it cant be done.....you will just have to be very selective on  what shades go where on the kit. some folks would disagree with me on this harshly.....but ive seen a couple of really well done kits that utilized a similar selection of color.

I still like the Fall palette the best myself. mixing some of the cocoa brown in with the mustard yellow of the armor and splashing some of the cheeks brown in as an accent color would really pop if you laid it out well. I think your challenge there would be finding a balance that says custom mandalorian and not pumpkin spice.

« Reply #10 on: Dec 06, 2019, 07:57 AM »
varying shades of grey is a challenge by itself. most of the time it just comes off as monotone.....not saying that it cant be done.....you will just have to be very selective on  what shades go where on the kit. some folks would disagree with me on this harshly.....but ive seen a couple of really well done kits that utilized a similar selection of color.

I still like the Fall palette the best myself. mixing some of the cocoa brown in with the mustard yellow of the armor and splashing some of the cheeks brown in as an accent color would really pop if you laid it out well. I think your challenge there would be finding a balance that says custom mandalorian and not pumpkin spice.

I have been tinkering with adding a bronze/rust/dark red ish undertone or use it as a wash over the armor

« Reply #11 on: Jan 26, 2020, 10:19 PM »
Been a minute since i posted. Going with Fall Pallet. Working on soft parts now, while working on that color selecting rattle cans trying to figure out which one I want as base coat for main armour color.

« Reply #12 on: Jan 27, 2020, 08:12 PM »
Working on flight suit. Does this work or is it to fitted?

« Reply #13 on: Jan 29, 2020, 06:06 AM »
made cardboard templates of the plates. Just wondering if these are the correct sizing or if i need to trim them down at first glance. Not the best attachment method used and note the correct undershirt I know

Raeza

« Reply #14 on: Jan 31, 2020, 11:29 AM »
From what I've been told the spacing is a little far. I was told a thumbs width is a good measurement method. Once the spacing is a little closer it might change the layout and you'll see what pieces need to be trimmed or not. It's a cool color combo though! I was just about to recommend against grays. My original plan was to use two different shades of grays and in pictures it just doesn't show up, even though in person they are very different shades.

I was told the spacing was pretty off, and as you can see the shades match closely on camera, so I think you went with the right color choice!

« Reply #15 on: Feb 07, 2020, 08:54 AM »
For weathering/ chipping purposes. what would be the recommended undercoat colour? Should I stay in the "sandy/fall" colour range or should I have a darker contrast colour?

looking at these right now...

any input?

« Last Edit: Jun 11, 2020, 12:36 PM by n33rdysoldier » Logged
« Reply #16 on: Mar 01, 2020, 06:00 PM »
How does one go about making the chest plates? Short of actually making my flak that is the only other hold up right now on my build.

« Reply #17 on: Mar 01, 2020, 07:08 PM »
On the bright side, I got gloves.  Looking at making them fingerless, just have to figure out where to cut them. Also debating them to dye them more brownish in color to offset armour color/match spats I have to make.

« Reply #18 on: Apr 12, 2020, 10:50 PM »
Long Delay, found material to start working on a Girth belt. Its about 4" in width. Need to figure out what color to dye it so it doesn't blend in with kit or clash to bad. Maybe a red or burgundy ?

« Reply #19 on: Apr 12, 2020, 11:10 PM »
Grabbed a second Pair of gloves.... which one should I go with?

« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2020, 05:23 PM »
Working on "two waist items" requirement. Gonna stitch these two together. What color should I use?

also believe that I have to cover/change the buckle part?

« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2020, 06:58 PM »
Got Flak vest on order from Endelose, set to arrive in July. Got undersuit Scrubs. Waiting on a pair of Wester 35s from Darth Clevage. Then its on to plate forming. Its all coming together.

« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2020, 07:43 PM »
Found where I hid my sintra,  nice day outside so decided to crack down on what I can work on until my flak comes in...

« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2020, 10:21 PM »
Finished belt, need to work on fastening it though, looking at having it close in the back so it should be something easy for me to do by myself. Debating between parachute clips or leather extension and Velco.

Also working with forming the hand plates

not liking how either style is turning out so far. Might end up ditching the idea and come back to it another time.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 10:25 PM by n33rdysoldier » Logged

Alyssad

• Brii Riata
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Family events
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2020, 09:31 PM »
Just popping over here to say I really like your color choices! Keep it up!

Stop limping around and get some bacta, soldier

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!