Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Flightsuit happy medium?

• 10 Replies

Rhue_Shofytt

• Diet Sprite
Flightsuit happy medium?
« on: Dec 11, 2019, 03:29 PM »
Hey ladies!

It's been about a year or so since I've done any work on my kit but I'm back with more questions  :P I've still got some half-baked concept sketches that I'm working on, but I'd really like to finalize my ideas for the soft parts in the meantime. From what I've seen, it seems like most people fall into one of two camps when it comes to the flightsuit: they either use a non-stretchy material like cotton or a polyester blend, a la scrubs, and leave extra room for mobility, or they make a very fitted suit out of stretchy, usually thin fabric.

What I'm trying to figure out is if there is a halfway option between those two? I personally prefer the more fitted option over the bagginess of scrubs (especially because I'm 5'1", and would like to keep at least some of my natural curves if possible), but I've read so many comments steering people away from the skintight flightsuit look that I'm nervous about taking that route. Has anyone figured out how to make a flightsuit out of a material stretchy enough to be more fitted than scrubs, while not making me look like I'm just wearing a morphsuit?

Per aspera, ad astra

First WIP
Re: Flightsuit happy medium?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 11, 2019, 06:50 PM »
i think the best option there would depend on your patterning skills. i've had a hard time in this area too because i want a fitted jumpsuit, but not skintight. what i've done is drafted patterns for pants and a top, mocked them up, and then figured out how much material i'd need in the middle to join them. you could easily do this with off the shelf patterns. alternatively, you can buy scrubs or an existing flight suit, and basically hem it down to the proper measurements. this is harder on existing suits though because of things like pocket placement, the types of seams (they often use welt seams like on jeans) or if the flightsuit has things like darts, tucks, or elastic in the waist area.

Rhue_Shofytt

• Diet Sprite
« Reply #2 on: Dec 12, 2019, 05:31 PM »
i think the best option there would depend on your patterning skills. i've had a hard time in this area too because i want a fitted jumpsuit, but not skintight. what i've done is drafted patterns for pants and a top, mocked them up, and then figured out how much material i'd need in the middle to join them. you could easily do this with off the shelf patterns. alternatively, you can buy scrubs or an existing flight suit, and basically hem it down to the proper measurements. this is harder on existing suits though because of things like pocket placement, the types of seams (they often use welt seams like on jeans) or if the flightsuit has things like darts, tucks, or elastic in the waist area.

When you made your own patterns, what kind of fabric did you use? I don't have a whole lot of experience with sewing, but I could probably get an old close-fitting pair of pants and shirt and reverse engineer a pattern that way.

Per aspera, ad astra

First WIP
« Reply #3 on: Dec 19, 2019, 01:35 PM »
When you made your own patterns, what kind of fabric did you use? I don't have a whole lot of experience with sewing, but I could probably get an old close-fitting pair of pants and shirt and reverse engineer a pattern that way.
Most people use muslin or cotton solids (thin quilting fabric) for the reverse-engineering part - it's very cheap and you can get it in lots of sizes (up to 90" wide I think!). If you go the muslin or cotton route and decide you want to keep the item to wear make sure you wash the fabric *before* you cut it out and sew with it since it will shrink.
JoAnns and Hobby Lobby have a 40% off one item coupon that works for a "single cut" of fabric so buy a couple yards and it'll be really cheap.

Spork

• Vaii gar slanar, ogir gar cuyir.
« Reply #4 on: Dec 23, 2019, 12:14 PM »
I have had great luck at Walmart...they will often clearance cotton fabrics down to $1 per yard. Usually hideous patterns, but at a buck, who cares! :porg1:

Rhue_Shofytt

• Diet Sprite
« Reply #5 on: Dec 24, 2019, 01:54 AM »
I have had great luck at Walmart...they will often clearance cotton fabrics down to $1 per yard. Usually hideous patterns, but at a buck, who cares! :porg1:

Ooh, that's a good idea. Thank you all for the tips so far!

Per aspera, ad astra

First WIP
« Reply #6 on: Dec 24, 2019, 08:02 PM »

Plus, If you like the pattern you make you can have some super snazzy lining  ;D

Kryamla Redalur

• "Wait...how do you say your name?"
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 100 official invasions.
« Reply #7 on: Dec 26, 2019, 10:29 AM »
If you wanted to sew your own, you could look for a cotton twill that also has a bit of stretch to it. That way it could be more form fitting but have a heavier look to it than traditional spandex leggings.

Manda'galaar Clan || MMCC #1278
Bo-Katan WIP - Bo-Katan Brigade WIP
- S7 Bo-Katan WIP

Rhue_Shofytt

• Diet Sprite
« Reply #8 on: Dec 28, 2019, 12:53 AM »
If you wanted to sew your own, you could look for a cotton twill that also has a bit of stretch to it. That way it could be more form fitting but have a heavier look to it than traditional spandex leggings.

I'm really leaning towards that idea. Other than Joann, do you have any recommendations for websites to look at for buying the fabric? Also, if I can't find the exact shade I have in mind, would I be able to dye, say, a 97% cotton 3% spandex fabric the same way you would a 100% cotton fabric? Sorry for all the questions  :P

Per aspera, ad astra

First WIP
« Reply #9 on: Dec 28, 2019, 12:10 PM »
I'm really leaning towards that idea. Other than Joann, do you have any recommendations for websites to look at for buying the fabric? Also, if I can't find the exact shade I have in mind, would I be able to dye, say, a 97% cotton 3% spandex fabric the same way you would a 100% cotton fabric? Sorry for all the questions  :P
Fabric.com or Moodfabrics.com. Amazon has also started selling some fabric. Google is your friend :)
Check the dye manufacturer's website - RIT all purpose dye can be used on up to 35% synthetic material (so it would cover your 97% cotton / 3% spandex situation). From their website: "If your garment contains less than 35% synthetic material (such as polyester, acrylic or acetate), then you should use Rit All-Purpose Dye instead."

Kryamla Redalur

• "Wait...how do you say your name?"
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 100 official invasions.
« Reply #10 on: Dec 28, 2019, 07:42 PM »
This ^^^

There’s also fabricwholesaledirect.com, but I don’t like them as much as I like fabric.com, solely for the reason it seems to take a really long to ship and receive their fabric.

Manda'galaar Clan || MMCC #1278
Bo-Katan WIP - Bo-Katan Brigade WIP
- S7 Bo-Katan WIP

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!