Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Fenrir Kyramud Mk II Update: 05/23/2020

• 10 Replies

Fenrir Kyramud

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
Fenrir Kyramud Mk II Update: 05/23/2020
« on: Dec 05, 2019, 09:33 AM »
I have finally started work on my Mk II kit. Currently, I'm printing the first 1/2 of my new helmet (only able to fit 1/2 on my printer at a time). Originally, I wanted to use the season 5 Pre Vizsla helmet, but a few factors drew me away. Then, I remembered the Imperial Super Commando helmets had a similar style. The antennae are what drew me in. My overall plan is to build a medium armored Scout and a built-in communications array, seems like a handy gadget to have. So, I set about modifying the Super Commando helmet. Using Meshmixer I was able to combine the pieces of a broken down file (broken into multiple pieces for small printers). Upsize, then slice it in 1/2 to fit on my CR-10s. Plus, resizing 1/2 of the helmet and "mirroring" in Cura will make both 1/2 the same size. Which should make for easy assembly. Below is the digital rendering of whole bucket.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 10:05 PM by Fenrir Kyramud » Logged
Cat# 1196
Iron Fang: #8
B.O.M.B.: #48.
V.O.T.S.: #43
Dog Lobster Supporter #46
G.O.M.O.L. #5

Novoc Mereel

• Back with a vengeance! He/Him
Re: Fenrir Kyramud Mk II
« Reply #1 on: Dec 06, 2019, 12:56 AM »
I really dig that design, can't wait to see it made real!

Fenrir Kyramud

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #2 on: Dec 06, 2019, 12:13 PM »
I really dig that design, can't wait to see it made real!

Thank you. Sadly, after 60 hours of printing the first half. The print failed. Then, a quick test fit revealed it would be too small. I've resized and started the print anew. Hopefully, solid results will be seen 6 days from, now.

Cat# 1196
G.O.M.O.L. #5

Novoc Mereel

« Reply #3 on: Dec 06, 2019, 12:20 PM »
Thank you. Sadly, after 60 hours of printing the first half. The print failed. Then, a quick test fit revealed it would be too small. I've resized and started the print anew. Hopefully, solid results will be seen 6 days from, now.

Oh no! I hope the next print ends up okay!

Fenrir Kyramud

Re: Fenrir Kyramud Mk II Update: 12/10/2019
« Reply #4 on: Dec 10, 2019, 01:06 AM »
Resized and cut down the ears, so it would fit on the print bad, at the proper angle.

This was 50%, after 72 hours, almost to the minute.

Currently 56%, with nearly 3 days remaining.

Cat# 1196
G.O.M.O.L. #5

Fenrir Kyramud

Re: Fenrir Kyramud Mk II Update: 12/12/2019
« Reply #5 on: Dec 12, 2019, 09:43 AM »
Just over 5 days worth of printing and the shell is complete. There's a bit of cleanup and filling to do (triangle and grooves). But, it came out perfectly. Not too shabby for a bucket costing less than $20.00 (and 120 + print time).

Cat# 1196
G.O.M.O.L. #5

Novoc Mereel

« Reply #6 on: Dec 12, 2019, 04:45 PM »
That looks dope!

Fenrir Kyramud

« Reply #7 on: Dec 12, 2019, 04:46 PM »
That looks dope!

Thank you. A lot of work to be done.

Cat# 1196
G.O.M.O.L. #5

Fenrir Kyramud

Re: Fenrir Kyramud Mk II Update: 12/27/2019
« Reply #8 on: Dec 27, 2019, 05:27 PM »
More work being done on the bucket today. Recently, I was introduced to a new smoothing product. This was developed for smoothing and filling voids in EVA foam. However, there are a few using it for 3D prints as well. It comes from Prop Monkey Studio and is available through TNT Cosplay's website and is called Rapid Fill. It has a 2nd component called Fine Finish (3 guesses on when you would use this lol). They are acrylic based compounds, you brush on and allow to cure. Dry sandable after 30 or so minutes. Can be we sanded after full cure (24 or so hours). I know, slower than Bondo Spot Putty. But, I like it because it's easier to use and does not give off caustic fumes. And it doesn't shrink, like Bondo. I am not a paid spokesperson, so this is not an advertisement for a product.

Here's my progress, thus far: The groves and "triangle" were filled, using my 3D pen (Yes, I have a 3D pen as well). These were sanded and any deeper voids, filled with Spot Putty. Then, the first and second coats of Rapid Fill were applied. Followed by an initial sanding. This stuff really highlights imperfections. Now, I await the 3 coat to cure.

Oh, in case anyone was wondering. I use Lensdump.com for photo hosting. It doesn't have file editing tools of other hosting sites, but it is completely free to use.

Cat# 1196
G.O.M.O.L. #5

Fenrir Kyramud

Re: Fenrir Kyramud Mk II Update: 12/27/2019
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2020, 10:05 PM »
Update:

Decided to play around with the mods and came up with a slightly new design. I cleaned up and expanded the mandible opening. Removed the ear caps, to be replaced by custom pieces later. Initial sanding is done, most of the lines and triangle have been filled (a bit of spot putty will cover the rest) and first coat (hopefully only) of XTC-3D has been applied.

Cat# 1196
G.O.M.O.L. #5

Fenrir Kyramud

Re: Fenrir Kyramud Mk II Update: 05/23/2020
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2020, 10:07 PM »
Forgot to add the ear caps. Just Deathwatch style caps. Need to modify the base to mimic the bead on the bucket.

Cat# 1196
G.O.M.O.L. #5

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!