Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

First armor build

• 41 Replies
Re: First armor build
« Reply #15 on: Dec 23, 2019, 08:00 AM »
Wonderful progress!  :like: I'm printing the same helmet currently and I was wondering if you used supports on your printer with the cheek and dome pieces. I haven't printed them you for my helmet because half of the dome would take 23 hrs with supports and I don't want to leave it unattended over night as I've had some printing issues before. I'm very new to 3d printing and research so far has been non-conclusive.
Thanks  :D
Supports are your friend! The cheek pieces didn't need support on the outside if I remember correctly, but did on the inside for the lettering and the cooling vents. The cooling vents only needed support at the bottoms and top openings, if you use autosupports it'll fill the whole cooling channel full of supports that you can't remove  >:(
It probably wouldn't hurt to over-support it if you're new / worried - you're going to have to sand the heck out of it anyways so a few supports won't matter!
The main helmet was printed at the recommended layer height / quality settings, the earcaps and coinslots were printed at a higher quality since it would be harder to sand them down.
I actually ended up using MeshMixer to split the helmet down into smaller pieces (split dome into quarters, sides in half) so that a failure wouldn't be quite so much material and would fit on our set of Ender 3 printers. If you need help with meshmixer let me know, it's got some pretty sweet features.

Shar Dagger

• Don't be Delicate, Be Vast and Brilliant
  • Awards Special Weapons Award for 10 official invasions. Celebration Chicago Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #16 on: Dec 23, 2019, 12:19 PM »
Wow! Its starting to all come together now.  Awesome work on the vest.  3D prints are not my forte but it seems you are figuring it's out okay. 

Keep up the great work! :porg2:

OM: 1688 - Privateer and Heavy Melee Brigade Member: 283
Check out my Instagram: @shar_dagger
The Pirate WIP
Valhalla WIP
« Reply #17 on: Dec 24, 2019, 08:06 AM »
Wow! Its starting to all come together now.  Awesome work on the vest.  3D prints are not my forte but it seems you are figuring it's out okay. 

Keep up the great work! :porg2:

Thanks  :D
My Fiance and I have a 3D printing business over on Etsy, so we've got a lot of experience (and resources) at our disposal!

Ok, need advice - do I look like a bobble head? I printed the medium dropbear so it would fit over my glasses, but I'm worried it's a bit big... and yes, it's temporarily put together with packing tape  :8):
Also, doggo wanted to help again

Edit: Sanding and filling is taking place. Starting to look like a helmet instead of a hot mess... and yes, I know I need to remove the visible print lines *sanding intensifies*

« Last Edit: Dec 24, 2019, 08:00 PM by Kay Toh » Logged
« Reply #18 on: Dec 28, 2019, 10:59 AM »
Soft parts are 90% done now! My mini-mando stature and curvy short-waisted body are making the sewing difficult tbh  :rolleyes:
There's photos of me without the bucket too!

« Reply #19 on: Dec 28, 2019, 12:31 PM »
The helmet does look a bit big and it may need to not touch the shoulders with your armor on.

Great work on the vest.

Cabur Akaata Member #178; Oribru Akaata #46; Grey Brigade/OT Guard #73; (Veteran/ Fire/ EMS/ Old Guy)
« Reply #20 on: Dec 29, 2019, 08:27 PM »
The helmet does look a bit big and it may need to not touch the shoulders with your armor on.

Great work on the vest.
Thanks!

Progress was made today / yesterday - I now have a blaster and a primed bucket!

We're also going to print the smaller size helmet, I'm going to see which fits better and then probably post the other in the one-time sales forum  :8):

Shar Dagger

• Awards Special Weapons Award for 10 official invasions. Celebration Chicago Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #21 on: Dec 30, 2019, 03:31 PM »
Awesome work!

For the helmet. It is hard to tell size without having a direct front facing photo.  If the bucket does end up being too large for some reason you can bulk up your shoulder armor.  So this could be adding a pauldron, or layering the shoulder bells.  There are lots of options.

Keep up the awesome work!

The Pirate WIP
Valhalla WIP
« Reply #22 on: Jan 01, 2020, 04:10 PM »
Waiting for some epoxy to come in before I do too much more finishing on my 3d prints.
Also got several large orders so the printers are busy printing things for paying customers instead of my second helmet attempt or more bits for my kit. Dang responsibility!

This is how my clan feels about failed prints, doggo helps:

« Reply #23 on: Jan 19, 2020, 05:24 PM »
Isn't it lame when life gets in the way of what you actually want to do  :(
Making some progress on my kit again... helmet v2 has been printed, resined, sanded and primed. Did my first round of spot filling with acryl green and touch up sanding. Also printed a replica of the blaster The Mandalorian carries on the show, which also got the same treatment as the helmet. Everything got a bath to remove sanding residue and is drying before being primed again!
Helmet:

Blaster:

For anyone curious, the files for the helmet were purchased here: https://tinyurl.com/sgptsb5 and the blaster files are from here: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3977528

« Reply #24 on: Jan 21, 2020, 07:20 PM »
That looks great! I take it the smaller helmet print fits better? I love your vest, vod!

« Reply #25 on: Jan 23, 2020, 08:40 AM »
That looks great! I take it the smaller helmet print fits better? I love your vest, vod!

Thanks! Yes it fits a lot better than the medium  :)

« Reply #26 on: Jan 23, 2020, 11:22 AM »
Updated helmet pics - now wearing the dropbear size small - once I've got a bit of padding in the top it should be just right! Its no longer sitting on my shoulders, or so wide I need serious shoulder armor to offset it!

« Reply #27 on: Jan 24, 2020, 06:56 PM »
YES! That does look better! :boba:

Cabur Akaata Member #178; Oribru Akaata #46; Grey Brigade/OT Guard #73; (Veteran/ Fire/ EMS/ Old Guy)

Shar Dagger

« Reply #28 on: Jan 25, 2020, 11:43 AM »
Very nice!

The Pirate WIP
Valhalla WIP
« Reply #29 on: Jan 27, 2020, 08:20 AM »
You guys!!!!  I finally put some paint on my helmet!! :porg2:

I ended up selling the medium dropbear to a prospective member in the local area, so it worked out for everyone - all my sanding wasn't in vain!  ;)

« Last Edit: Jan 27, 2020, 08:25 AM by Kay Toh » Logged

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!