Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

First armor build

• 41 Replies
Re: First armor build
« Reply #30 on: Jan 27, 2020, 07:31 PM »
That looks awesome!! What kind of paint did you use?

« Reply #31 on: Jan 27, 2020, 08:25 PM »
That looks awesome!! What kind of paint did you use?
Thanks!! It's Krylon Fusion Dark Metal Metallic spray paint, over a bunch of surface prep lol :D

« Reply #32 on: Feb 02, 2020, 04:52 PM »
Some progress is being made
Originally I was going to do the fencing chest protector as my chest armor (normally wear a multi-letter bra size  :rolleyes:) but between a sports bra and lacing my vest tightly I think I'm going to be flat enough I can get away with just curving the chest plates a little - thoughts? Other curvy mandos out there want to give me advice? Profile shot with vest lacing / sports bra for reference - please don't make awkward comments guys:

Template time! I printed the 5'3" WOF templates cause I'm a mini-mando. Feedback would be appreciated on sizing - I know that the spacing needs refinement! I also need to sort out some kind of girth belt soon.
Here they are pinned in place:

Not pictured - having to have assistance to pull costume off because I pinned it to my bra and didn't realize until it was partially off, and got myself stuck in my shirt :-[

« Last Edit: Feb 04, 2020, 02:51 PM by Kay Toh » Logged

Syrosek

• WIP
« Reply #33 on: Feb 05, 2020, 09:36 PM »
Some progress is being made
Originally I was going to do the fencing chest protector as my chest armor (normally wear a multi-letter bra size  :rolleyes:) but between a sports bra and lacing my vest tightly I think I'm going to be flat enough I can get away with just curving the chest plates a little - thoughts? Other curvy mandos out there want to give me advice? Profile shot with vest lacing / sports bra for reference - please don't make awkward comments guys:

Template time! I printed the 5'3" WOF templates cause I'm a mini-mando. Feedback would be appreciated on sizing - I know that the spacing needs refinement! I also need to sort out some kind of girth belt soon.
Here they are pinned in place:

Not pictured - having to have assistance to pull costume off because I pinned it to my bra and didn't realize until it was partially off, and got myself stuck in my shirt :-[

You look great! The armor seems to looks good to me (but Iím no app team), especially if youíre adding a girth belt. I canít say anything on advice so take any of this with a grain of salt...
 but from what Iíve seen lurking around, some have intentionally made their chest parts a bit bigger to accommodate different bras, swelling, extra layers, etc. they generally say you can always add padding to make it fit but can never really add back that extra room you need sometimes.  Not personally sure how it has worked for them but itís what has been done before. It could possibly help too if you curve the piece since curving can change the final proportions as well (if the design is meant to be flat that is). Iím sure you could look around and see if anyone has done something similar to you.

« Reply #34 on: Feb 06, 2020, 10:01 AM »
You look great! The armor seems to looks good to me (but Iím no app team), especially if youíre adding a girth belt. I canít say anything on advice so take any of this with a grain of salt...
 but from what Iíve seen lurking around, some have intentionally made their chest parts a bit bigger to accommodate different bras, swelling, extra layers, etc. they generally say you can always add padding to make it fit but can never really add back that extra room you need sometimes.  Not personally sure how it has worked for them but itís what has been done before. It could possibly help too if you curve the piece since curving can change the final proportions as well (if the design is meant to be flat that is). Iím sure you could look around and see if anyone has done something similar to you.
Thanks! My russ'alor said to go up a size to accommodate curving the plates - so will post pics this weekend :) Going to take all my crap kit parts to the local armor party next weekend, hoping to get some good advice / help there. Haven't worked with sintra before  :porg1:

Shar Dagger

• Don't be Delicate, Be Vast and Brilliant
  • Awards Special Weapons Award for 10 official invasions. Celebration Chicago Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #35 on: Feb 15, 2020, 09:55 PM »
Sizing is decent however the area around the diamond needs some attention.  The spacing there is quite wide.  As far as sintra goes, I've seen it work for some and not others. 

For you, slight curving may suffice.  You may want to try with 1 chest plate and see if you can get that to work before cutting both.  I have a tutorial for cupped plates in my signature below.  Click on "Valhalla" and scroll down a little if your interested.

OM: 1688 - Privateer and Heavy Melee Brigade Member: 283
Check out my Instagram: @shar_dagger
The Pirate WIP
Valhalla WIP
« Reply #36 on: Feb 21, 2020, 08:18 AM »
Helmet paint is (almost) done! I'm going to paint the T area of the helmet once I've gotten fabric for my cape / sash - it's much easier to match paint to fabric vs matching fabric to paint. Also will remove the visor film once i've finished the paint. This is the small size dropbear helmet by april storm - 3d printed and finished by me  :D

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #37 on: Feb 24, 2020, 08:16 PM »
Great work so far! You did an excellent job of getting rid of the print lines on the helmet, in particular, and excellent work on the vest. I definitely agree with making a test run with one chest plate before cutting out the second. My wife is also rather busty and it has certainly been a learning experience helping her make plates. One thing we did (which I think was suggested earlier in the thread) when making Fett-style plates was to elongate the top half a bit to accomodate that curving. Like Shar said, we were able to get away with just a gentle curve on hers without having to 'cup' it so much, but if you're interested in going that route there are certainly several tutorials floating about the mercs about how to do that with sintra plates. I believe in the Jadd Halls of Knowledge there's a whole formal tutorial on it, and otherwise there are ones like Shar's that are quite good.

QMU 72| M.A.B.E.L. 77| Cabur Akaata 144
« Reply #38 on: Feb 25, 2020, 09:48 AM »
Great work so far! You did an excellent job of getting rid of the print lines on the helmet, in particular, and excellent work on the vest. I definitely agree with making a test run with one chest plate before cutting out the second.
Thank you Slade :D
So yeah - "huge tracts of land" problems continue. I've now gone all the way up to the XL Boba plates so I can try and dart them. Getting closer, but I think I'm going to have to just duct-tape myself and directly draw the patterns on to get this right. Just can't get things to curve properly, and I've heard the plates shouldn't float away from the body. If I ever get OM I may have to form a curvy mando armor support group!

Also - Went to an armor party over the weekend, it was awesome and super helpful since I've never worked with Sintra before! Realized after wearing my vest for about 3 hours its making me claustrophobic and it's too long so it interferes with me moving around / constantly having to pull it back down cause it's riding up. May have to start over on the vest and make it a little bit looser, as well as adding a sleeves to attach my shoulders and making the neck area fit better. Anyone want to buy my old vest? ;)

« Reply #39 on: Mar 01, 2020, 04:40 PM »
Updates!
Re-did my vest - traced a button down shirt that I liked to make a pattern and then altered the heck out of it to get it to fit properly - all I'm waiting on now is a zipper from Amazon and I'll be in business! No more claustrophobia! Yay!

Had something truly awful happen - my gauntlets, and helmet, both had a bad reaction to the spray paint I used today. Evidently something reacted when I was spraying them, so the paint all bubbled and cracked and completely ruined the paint job all the way down to the primer. So I'm going to have to fully sand them down and start over. Not pleased  :'(

Still trying to get chest plates to fit properly, I'm currently destroying all the spare boxes in our house making cardboard test plates. Getting closer, but I think I'm going to end up with something like Bo Katan's armor vs the Jango templates.

« Last Edit: Mar 02, 2020, 10:29 AM by Kay Toh » Logged
« Reply #40 on: Mar 01, 2020, 06:26 PM »
Thanks!! It's Krylon Fusion Dark Metal Metallic spray paint, over a bunch of surface prep lol :D

have you layered the metallic paint? looking at using it as a potential base layer (copper metallic) and was wondering how well the metallic finish held up to layering.

« Reply #41 on: Mar 02, 2020, 10:06 AM »
have you layered the metallic paint? looking at using it as a potential base layer (copper metallic) and was wondering how well the metallic finish held up to layering.
Yep - I've layered it (although with mixed success per my last post  :( )
It works ok - the paints I used were quite opaque so I'm not seeing any of the dark metal through the silver. I doubt that layering normal spray paint over the metallic would make the successive layers metallic if that's what you're going for? Be very careful with your masking - even using super gentle tape (frog tape) was pulling the chrome finish off the parts I sprayed silver / leaving lines, I'm going to have to repaint them.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!