Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Totsu - Kiffu Mandalorian (PIC HEAVY)

• 45 Replies
Re: Ru'nan Vel - Kiffu Mandalorian
« Reply #30 on: Jan 14, 2020, 03:42 PM »
I'm absolutely in awe! I'm Indigenous as well (Cree-Metis from Alberta, Canada), I thought heavily about how I would incorporate that into my armour and concept and have still been deeply considering what I will do. The red hand print on the bucket for MMIWG is definitely something that I have been considering. You've really inspired me to look deeper into my concept and see where I can reflect everything I hold closely in a better way. Your level of detail and craftsmanship is amazing! You inspire me!

RedBirdXlll

• Worms
« Reply #31 on: Jan 27, 2020, 03:53 PM »
I'm absolutely in awe! I'm Indigenous as well (Cree-Metis from Alberta, Canada), I thought heavily about how I would incorporate that into my armour and concept and have still been deeply considering what I will do. The red hand print on the bucket for MMIWG is definitely something that I have been considering. You've really inspired me to look deeper into my concept and see where I can reflect everything I hold closely in a better way. Your level of detail and craftsmanship is amazing! You inspire me!

Wado!! That's honestly all I want. I want more Indiginerds to be seen and heard and know that there's a community of us out here! Miigwetch (I think i spelled that right?) for your extremely kind words :) I can't wait to see what you make!

RedBirdXlll

• Worms
« Reply #32 on: Jan 30, 2020, 01:23 PM »
Okay quick update! It's a little sparse because my phone is broken at the moment - should be getting that resolved tomorrow!

I'm making SLOW progress on my helmet, but it's getting there! I've attached one ear cap and started the blending and filling process. The other ear cap will get molded and cast separately because of the rangefinder slot and also because my head is really small, so the sides of my helmet slope a bit. I need to cut into the resin helmet a sink the ear cap in in a few spots and I think that will just be easier to do once it's resin.

I also added the details for the rear vent. Once cast, the indents will be cut out and backed with mesh for concealed air flow.

AND MOST IMPORTANTLY MY SOFT. PARTS. ARE. DONE!!!!

I am SO pleased with how everything looks. This was the first time I finally got to wear everything together. The way they all sit with each other is really great, considering I designed and made everything individually. The ONLY thing I want to fix is the fit on the red cummerbund/loin cloth. I'd like to tighten it up a bit and change my current attachment method (industrial snaps) to heavy duty velcro. Or possibly bra latches, haven't decided.

I also have a dark grey sash that I dyed but I need to fiddle with it more before I decide if I want to add it or not.

Beyond that, I've started patterning my plates!

Everything but the chest plates got cut out of the masking tape and traced onto my Sintra board. The chest plates were cut out, had darts cut into the tape pattern so they laid flat, and transferred to 6mm EVA foam  - same thickness as my Sintra. I glued the darts together with contact cement to get the original shape and then covered the whole piece with Worbla. These will get coated in Wood glue and sanded to a glossy smooth finish before getting molded, cast in resin, and backed with fiberglass.

I don't have pics of the chest plates at the moment because of my broken phone, but I will update soon and add pics of them when I can!

Really looking forward to armor fabrication and paint, and very happy to have all this sewing behind me. It's not my forte!

Kol Varek

• Beanpole (Formerly Kol Var'Das)
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #33 on: Feb 01, 2020, 03:01 PM »
Gorgeous, darlin! Can't wait to see everything done!!

KaylinSilverfurr

• OM #1899 / Cabur Akaata #119 / M.L.C.S. #42
« Reply #34 on: Feb 14, 2020, 11:20 AM »
*flails* Yup, another Red hand on the bucket inspired person here.

Also, Boozhoo, Aaniin, Tansi! Another Métis person here!

I know you're already running an Indigenous cosplayers page, as that's where I met ya!

Anyway, your attention to detail on this kills me in all sorts of good ways. I am now seriously debating a poncho similar to yours.

~Shauna

« Last Edit: Feb 14, 2020, 01:06 PM by KaylinSilverfurr » Logged

The Red Hand

• Zaro "Ge'tal Gaan" Fayd
« Reply #35 on: Feb 14, 2020, 12:56 PM »
I love this, the layering on the soft parts screams star wars to me and the execution is beautiful! Its giving me all kinds of ideas!

gra'tua bal ijaat - Vengeance and Honor

T'ryn

• T'ryn Bajuri
« Reply #36 on: Feb 21, 2020, 06:24 PM »
Saw your post on Facebook and decided to come check out your WIP. I am SO INSPIRED! I cannot wait to see you complete. Makes my side lacing on my flak look sad! Simply beautiful.  :cookie:

"Our priority is to teach foundlings the skills to adapt, inquire, question, and then cooperate. These skills support what we know we can establish in strength, honor, and power."
« Reply #37 on: Feb 24, 2020, 12:48 AM »
Commenting to follow because concept is so beautiful and well thought out!

Arkham

• Awards Legends of Mandalore Brigade 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Special Weapons
« Reply #38 on: Feb 24, 2020, 01:06 PM »
Really enjoying watching this come together!

Arkham's WIP

Tra'cor Clan // G.O.M.O.L # 032 // M.V.S #68 // O.O.P.S.! #52 // L.O.B #49

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #39 on: Feb 24, 2020, 10:06 PM »
I remember seeing your original concept post, and I'm glad to see you were able to come up with a plan to fit that. You've done a wonderful job so far, and your attention to detail on every part is inspiring. Definitely looking forward to seeing this whole concept come to fruition.

QMU 72| M.A.B.E.L. 77| Cabur Akaata 144

RedBirdXlll

• Worms
Re: Totsu - Kiffu Mandalorian (PIC HEAVY)
« Reply #40 on: Feb 26, 2020, 02:23 PM »
Oh boy lots to update you guys on!

After creating my masking tape templates I transferred everything to my Sintra and cut out a big ol' pile o' pieces! (I patterned my leg pieces the same way)

My knees were a little too small, so I redid them:

Before:

After:

The thigh pieces are small and low to allow for my loin cloth to lay properly over them.

Then I needed to do my chest pieces....

I let all the talk about the woes of shaping Sintra for boobies get to me (I even heard it from some of my most skilled friends) and initially decided to make my chest pieces from foam and Worbla, since I have so much experience with foam, and would then mold and cast them. My early attempts were promising, but my lack of Worbla experience made it difficult to get the clean edges that I wanted:

It wasn't bad, but it just wasn't working out the way I hoped. So after fiddling with this method for a few days, I turned to Sintra out of frustration. Might as well give it a shot, right?

GUYS.

SINTRA BOOBIES ARE EASY. YOU CAN MAKE 'EM, AND HERE'S HOW:

I redid my chest templates, using a foam strip to create the perfect spacing lines:

This last image is important. In my years of working with foam, I've learned how to use darts to create complex curves. You learn over time the best places to place darts and how many you need based on the shape. Now, I know that Sintra doesn't like to bend in more than one direction. I also know that, especially for larger chested women, them majority of curve on the breast is on the underside, where all the weight rests. So that's where I would need my darts.

I have seen this method before, referred to as the "finger" method. You don't want too many fingers, 'cause then it just gets very fiddly, but you want enough that you can compensate for the Sintra's unwillingness to bend.

After cutting out my new templates (but not the darts) I have shapes like this:

If you're unsure where to put darts, take your curved shape and try to lay it flat. Areas that have too much curve will need relief cuts, or darts, in order to help them lay flat, like this:

I traced the patterns onto my Sintra

Now, I didn't take many photos of the actual shaping process, 'cause it requires two hands. But I used my heat gun to gradually heat up the WHOLE piece for one breast. Then I pressed it over my flak vest to get the initial rough shape. After that, I heated specific areas to shape them more precisely, starting with the upper-most section of the chest plate. Then I heated the center, pressing outwards from the back to dish it slightly, always using my own body to help form the shape. I wore my flak vest and neck plates ( held on with tape) to make sure my chest plates would sit in the correct alignment after shaping.

I heated two "fingers" at a time and took my time pressing and holding them into the desired curves. I didn't worry about getting the edges to meet, I just wanted the general curve to be right - I can always fill and sand later.

What I ended up with looked like this:

Once I was happy it was time for filling and sanding. I used super glue to tack some Styrene strips on the backside of my chest "fingers" to join them before using Evercoat body filler to fill and cover the gaps left from shaping. After that I used a palm sander to knock down the body filler and fine tune the surface.

The actual shaping honestly took maybe 10 - 15 minutes. It's exactly the same method I would use if creating foam chest pieces. More curves = more darts = more freedom to create the curves and shapes you need. I constantly checked while shaping to see how my spacing was doing, and I wore my neck plates and the first chest plate I shaped while shaping the second one to make sure everything would sit right.

Next I needed to round out the edges of all my plates! I used a low grit sanding drum on a Foredom rotary tool to quickly soften the edges

Torso plates with rough edges sanded

It was a dusty process

And then I got to see it all together for the first time

Since then I've been working on sanding the surface of my plates. I went over them all with 100 grit and 220, and have started going over them with a fine sanding sponge. Next is filler primer and spot filling any remaining unwanted spots. This evening I'm going to add fiberglass to the backs of my plates, and while they dry I'll be working on prepping my helmet for molding on Sunday!

I also got my paint in the mail and I'm VERY excited for that step.

« Last Edit: Feb 26, 2020, 02:30 PM by RedBirdXlll » Logged

Kryamla Redalur

• "Wait...how do you say your name?"
  • Awards 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ invasions in 2018 Award for 100 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions Celebration Chicago
« Reply #41 on: Feb 26, 2020, 05:16 PM »
Ahh your plates are looking so amazing!

RedBirdXlll

• Worms
« Reply #42 on: Feb 26, 2020, 05:56 PM »
Ahh your plates are looking so amazing!

Thank you!!!

Kol Varek

• Beanpole (Formerly Kol Var'Das)
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #43 on: Feb 26, 2020, 05:59 PM »
Jeez, even having seen these a few times now this is still super cool to see every time I get to read through the process! You're doing AMAZING work, and I'm so thankful you're sharing your process with everyone! I know as a Ruus'alor, I've always felt like I was missing necessary experience to help female recruits with crafting their armor, so this will definitely be useful information to forward! Keep it up bud!

« Reply #44 on: Feb 27, 2020, 08:52 AM »
This is absolutely incredible! As a new Mando myself, my chest plates were the biggest of my worries (no pun intended). But now I'm a lot less intimidated! I'll be coming back to this thread :)

"Your focus determines your reality." Qui-Gon Jinn

WIP Thread: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=185492.msg2093732#msg2093732

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!