Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Ru'nan Vel - Kiffu Mandalorian

• 35 Replies
Re: Ru'nan Vel - Kiffu Mandalorian
« Reply #30 on: Jan 14, 2020, 03:42 PM »
I'm absolutely in awe! I'm Indigenous as well (Cree-Metis from Alberta, Canada), I thought heavily about how I would incorporate that into my armour and concept and have still been deeply considering what I will do. The red hand print on the bucket for MMIWG is definitely something that I have been considering. You've really inspired me to look deeper into my concept and see where I can reflect everything I hold closely in a better way. Your level of detail and craftsmanship is amazing! You inspire me!

RedBirdXlll

• Worms
« Reply #31 on: Jan 27, 2020, 03:53 PM »
I'm absolutely in awe! I'm Indigenous as well (Cree-Metis from Alberta, Canada), I thought heavily about how I would incorporate that into my armour and concept and have still been deeply considering what I will do. The red hand print on the bucket for MMIWG is definitely something that I have been considering. You've really inspired me to look deeper into my concept and see where I can reflect everything I hold closely in a better way. Your level of detail and craftsmanship is amazing! You inspire me!

Wado!! That's honestly all I want. I want more Indiginerds to be seen and heard and know that there's a community of us out here! Miigwetch (I think i spelled that right?) for your extremely kind words :) I can't wait to see what you make!

RedBirdXlll

• Worms
« Reply #32 on: Jan 30, 2020, 01:23 PM »
Okay quick update! It's a little sparse because my phone is broken at the moment - should be getting that resolved tomorrow!

I'm making SLOW progress on my helmet, but it's getting there! I've attached one ear cap and started the blending and filling process. The other ear cap will get molded and cast separately because of the rangefinder slot and also because my head is really small, so the sides of my helmet slope a bit. I need to cut into the resin helmet a sink the ear cap in in a few spots and I think that will just be easier to do once it's resin.

I also added the details for the rear vent. Once cast, the indents will be cut out and backed with mesh for concealed air flow.

AND MOST IMPORTANTLY MY SOFT. PARTS. ARE. DONE!!!!

I am SO pleased with how everything looks. This was the first time I finally got to wear everything together. The way they all sit with each other is really great, considering I designed and made everything individually. The ONLY thing I want to fix is the fit on the red cummerbund/loin cloth. I'd like to tighten it up a bit and change my current attachment method (industrial snaps) to heavy duty velcro. Or possibly bra latches, haven't decided.

I also have a dark grey sash that I dyed but I need to fiddle with it more before I decide if I want to add it or not.

Beyond that, I've started patterning my plates!

Everything but the chest plates got cut out of the masking tape and traced onto my Sintra board. The chest plates were cut out, had darts cut into the tape pattern so they laid flat, and transferred to 6mm EVA foam  - same thickness as my Sintra. I glued the darts together with contact cement to get the original shape and then covered the whole piece with Worbla. These will get coated in Wood glue and sanded to a glossy smooth finish before getting molded, cast in resin, and backed with fiberglass.

I don't have pics of the chest plates at the moment because of my broken phone, but I will update soon and add pics of them when I can!

Really looking forward to armor fabrication and paint, and very happy to have all this sewing behind me. It's not my forte!

Kol Var'Das

• Beanpole
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #33 on: Feb 01, 2020, 03:01 PM »
Gorgeous, darlin! Can't wait to see everything done!!

KaylinSilverfurr

• OM #1899 / Cabur Akaata #119 / M.L.C.S. #42
« Reply #34 on: Feb 14, 2020, 11:20 AM »
*flails* Yup, another Red hand on the bucket inspired person here.

Also, Boozhoo, Aaniin, Tansi! Another Métis person here!

I know you're already running an Indigenous cosplayers page, as that's where I met ya!

Anyway, your attention to detail on this kills me in all sorts of good ways. I am now seriously debating a poncho similar to yours.

~Shauna

« Last Edit: Feb 14, 2020, 01:06 PM by KaylinSilverfurr » Logged

The Red Hand

• Zaro "Ge'tal Gaan" Fayd
« Reply #35 on: Feb 14, 2020, 12:56 PM »
I love this, the layering on the soft parts screams star wars to me and the execution is beautiful! Its giving me all kinds of ideas!

gra'tua bal ijaat - Vengeance and Honor

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!