Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Bajrx2 Modern Mando working on pre-app fix list!

• 32 Replies

Bajrx2

• Jun'tah Zaan
Bajrx2 Modern Mando working on pre-app fix list!
« on: Dec 12, 2019, 12:59 PM »
So it begins

Name: Jun’tah Zaan

Armor Level : Light (for now)

Clan: Aiwha Riders
House Buurenaar Verda

This time I want to do it right.
So far I have purchased my flight suit in Tan pictured here

I think the fit is good and since I am planning for spats on my boots and will of course be wearing gauntlets I don't think the bagginess around the wrists and ankles will be a problem, but what do you guys think?

I have sent away to Black Tusk Workshop for custom cut and molded plates so hopefully when they arrive nothing will have to be done to them but only time will tell.
I have also sent away for a Duck Cloth Vest with Built in Neckseal in a dark brown so we will see how that all fits together when it comes in.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2022, 10:36 AM by Bajrx2 » Logged
Re: Bajrx2's First Real Shot at an OM Kit - WIP
« Reply #1 on: Dec 12, 2019, 07:06 PM »
Cool concept!  :like:

I trick I use is to get black artist chalk, grind some off with some sandpaper, and then get a brush and spread the bits however you like. It resembles carbon scoring or burn marks. You want to finish with a clear coat afterwards to seal the chalk on. There's a warmaster's workshop video about it.

Hope this helps!

Bajrx2

• Jun'tah Zaan
« Reply #2 on: Dec 16, 2019, 01:27 PM »
Update 1!

Since my last update I have purchased a couple of parts for my Kit
Firstly my gloves as shown here

I really like them and think they fit the star wars aesthetic very well especially with the ribbed pattern which is very reminiscent of Kylo Ren's outfit.
Secondly I purchased my boots, I plant to eventually get spats/gaiters/half-chaps for them as I really like the look of a tall/high boot

Lastly I found a great E-11 prop made out of molded plastic as a backup blaster as I know some cons and locations are a little more strict on what cant and can be a usable weapon prop.

Please let me know your thoughts!!!!

Bajrx2

• Jun'tah Zaan
« Reply #3 on: Jan 08, 2020, 08:58 PM »
Alright boys, I have collected all of my soft parts at this point and done a test fit. Also peek the gloves, I removed the rubber parts on the fingers which has made them looked far more Swarzy.

So I know it isn't a perfect test fitting as after reviewing the photos I did notice some things were off but overall I am happy with how I got everything to look.
I do need to weather both belts as well as the pouch on my hip, if anyone has tips on weathering fake leather I would be extremely grateful.

As for the rest of my kit, My plates are currently being made by our very own Black Tusk Workshop here on the forums and should be here with in the next month. I know what some of you might be thinking but if the plates don't fit I have the entire Burenaar Verda Clan to help me should the need arise.
My bucket is going to be purchased by the locally owned and operated Kamino Outpost here in Florida which I should have in a week or two.

Please comment on anything you guys see or think I may need help with, as for now I will tide you over with a picture of my armor concept

« Last Edit: Apr 05, 2022, 10:34 AM by Bajrx2 » Logged

jett drexel

• a long time ago in a living room far far away...
Hello mate, when it came to wearhering fake learher what i did was give it a light buffing with some 250 grit sand paper this takes the sheen off and gives it a worn nubuck look to see what i mean look at the belt for  the dorp leg holster in my w.i.p. now i do suggest having a little practice on the underside of your belt where it's not visible just to get the hang of it first. Hope this helps  ;)

Bajrx2

• Jun'tah Zaan
Thanks for the tip Jett!

hereticdave

• Se'nizi Jasra
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
Soft parts look great so far vod, remember to weather the suit in a consistent way with the rest of the kit. The only thing I can see is the bagginess in the arms and legs, but you have a plan to cover those areas. I look forward to seeing the plates and all of it come together  :like:

OM# 1621
"Gar taldin ni jaonyc gar sa buir, ori'wadaas'la."
"Nobody cares who your father was, only the father you'll be."
Vok'Chi Thread
Helmet WIP
Soft Parts WIP
Armour WIP

Bajrx2

• Jun'tah Zaan
There are definitely plans to weather the flight suit and vest in the near future, just have to find a technique I like the look of.
As far as the bagginess goes I think for the legs I will attach some elastic to the foot holes ? to keep the pants from coming out of the boots and gaiters and bunching up like that.  As far as the arms go though I think I will wait and see how it looks with Gauntlets on and proceed from there on hemming it up a bit.

hereticdave

• Se'nizi Jasra
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
Some elastic around the feet certainly wouldn't hurt, it's a pretty solid idea actually, I might have to steal it  :cookie:

OM# 1621
"Gar taldin ni jaonyc gar sa buir, ori'wadaas'la."
"Nobody cares who your father was, only the father you'll be."
Vok'Chi Thread
Helmet WIP
Soft Parts WIP
Armour WIP

Bajrx2

• Jun'tah Zaan
Small update, decided to change the waist belt to something wider that wouldn’t get lost in rolls lol, I think I’ll save that original belt for my Fiancée to use when she starts her kit

Do you guys think the buckle will be alright or should I try hiding it, and how do?

« Last Edit: Jan 09, 2020, 09:01 PM by Bajrx2 » Logged

Bajrx2

• Jun'tah Zaan
Update!

Small one though. Aquired my first blaster! As nice as this Westar looks I am definitely gonna have to work on it some as this was supposed to be the "Sanded and Weathered" paint job but it looks like honestly neither was done. Gonna have to hit some parts with a dremel and some sandpaper and a couple more coats of primer to get it looking the way I would like.

Bajrx2

• Jun'tah Zaan
Got another update for y'all! Somewhat small somewhat big, I finally got my helmet today! Big thanks to Phil over at Kamino Outpost down here in Florida, love his helmets, they look great and are very well made. Now for some pics!

So the game plan from here on out goes as follows, waiting  for my plates from Black Tusk Armory here on the forums to arrive, once I have those (Which should be by the end of the month if I am correct) I can do a quick test fit for the plates and start painting. After that its just going to an armor party and having my clanmates help me with attaching the plates in their proper positions and I will be good to go for Megacon at least and hopefully OM Status soon thereafter!

Bajrx2

• Jun'tah Zaan
Got another update for y’all!
Got my plates in today! I will try and post some pictures with them taped to me as I had them done by Black Tusk Workshop here on the forums. The back play will need some shaping but seeing as Megacon is most definitely going to be postponed I have some time to spare. Should be getting my paint supplies by Thursday and I can start painting and weathering my helmet and armor next weekend.

Bajrx2

• Jun'tah Zaan
Life has calmed down and I have returned!!!

Helmet is painted and looking fine!!!
I have used Velcro to attach some of my plates but I am definitely going to scrap that as it isn’t working like I had hoped unfortunately. If anyone has any recommendations I’d appreciate them! Also I made a sword!

Arco'thyel Wyshla

• Certified crazy cat mando
This is coming together very nicely. I love that gold/gray/brown color combo of your plates and flak!

That is a neat sword, how did you go about making it?

| Hard Goods WIP | Soft Goods WIP | Planning Log |

"Visit Mandalore before Mandalore visits you. Take home some souvenirs—a slab of uj cake and a smack in the mouth." ―Baltan Carid

"Don’t take this the wrong way you guys, but uh, Mandalorians are crazy." ―Ezra Bridger

Cattriss Wren

• "Vurel verburyc, draar solus"
I second what Arco said! colors are awesome. The weathering is nicely done :like: keep up the good work!

my armor. http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=203296.0

"Mandalorians don't make threats. We make promises"

"Everyone has a struggle in life. The key is turning that struggle into your weapon."

Bajrx2

• Jun'tah Zaan
This is coming together very nicely. I love that gold/gray/brown color combo of your plates and flak!

That is a neat sword, how did you go about making it?

The handle is a locally sourced femur from a cow. The blade itself is just wood. Cut a groove for the blade to fit in and then used a leather wire wrap and some jb weld to sit it in place and then covered it in a natural adhesive that dries not sticky.

« Last Edit: Apr 05, 2022, 09:48 AM by Bajrx2 » Logged

Bajrx2

• Jun'tah Zaan
Mini update, attached the magnets via JB weld to the back of all of my plates, besides my back plate. Tomorrow I should be able to test fit the pieces on the vest and start painting the plates.

Bajrx2

• Jun'tah Zaan
Re: Runic Modern Mando, Trying for OM Updated 04/04/22
« Reply #18 on: Apr 06, 2022, 08:14 AM »
Next step, and one of my favorites, painting! I have settled for the most part on the design as I have pictured in the OP with some minor changes. As for yesterday I was able to get the primer coat and the "metal" coat for weathering.  I plan on getting the gold parts painted gold and the navy parts painted navy today and will probably have the blackwash done by the end of the week if I am lucky.

« Last Edit: Apr 06, 2022, 01:33 PM by Bajrx2 » Logged

Aster Veris

• "Monarch of mud"
  • Awards EnviroOps Beastmaster Brigade Member
Re: Runic Modern Mando, Trying for OM Updated 04/06/22
« Reply #19 on: Apr 06, 2022, 01:27 PM »
Plates look shiny and chrome! Good job vod

OM #2630 | BM #394 | they/them | mav oya'la clan |IG: @ plant.alorian | Aster WIP

Bajrx2

• Jun'tah Zaan
« Reply #20 on: Apr 06, 2022, 06:28 PM »
In the immortal words of Austin Power’s Goldmember : I LIKE GOOOOLD

Navy to follow

« Reply #21 on: Apr 06, 2022, 07:45 PM »
Looking good! I don't think I've seen gold as a primary mandalorian color before,   nice pick!

Led Orami

"Speak up, I couldn't hear you over how awesome Mandalorians are." - me

Bajrx2

• Jun'tah Zaan
« Reply #22 on: Apr 06, 2022, 09:56 PM »
Looking good! I don't think I've seen gold as a primary mandalorian color before,   nice pick!

Thanks! Oh dope!

Navy layer is on and tape is off. Next I need to pull the rest of the masking fluid off and do the black wash and my plates are completely done. (Besides my back plate, I’m gonna need some help with that)

Bajrx2

• Jun'tah Zaan
« Reply #23 on: Apr 07, 2022, 01:22 AM »
Early morning update it’s 1:18am.
I was able to finish weathering all my plates, here are some pics!

Bajrx2

• Jun'tah Zaan
Okay. Moment of truth. How’s my plate sizing and spacing. I feel like my helmet is too big, am I crazy?

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!