Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Siege/S7 Bo-Katan WIP

• 13 Replies
Siege/S7 Bo-Katan WIP
« on: Dec 15, 2019, 02:35 PM »
Hi all,

I've been sitting on a set of jetpackless armor for like 8 months now, doing odd bits here and there as I was approving a new clone. I was also having a mare trying to install the visor, and didn't want to touch her for a while. Time to pull the finger out and get Bo-K done for the spring cons!

Helmet: sanded out, primered (that scratch up the top has since been filled in, I just don't have a new photo), and ready for paint.

Armor: All trimmed and ready for any resizing work. Breast plates have been heat-modded to fit better. I plan to make the holsters narrower, as they are too wide in proportion to the thigh plates and the Westars.

Speaking of, I've got Westars that light up, along with Bo-K's girth belts from Delta Leatherworks. I also have boots.

I started on the dye job (Dylon Smoke Grey) for the soft parts today -- 3 shirts (1 undershirt, 1 'flak vest', 1 to be cut up for gloves) + leggings. The shirts were all a light grey marl, and didn't darken as much as the leggings, so I will have to do them again.

At the same time, I'm creating a harness for the jetpack (currently in 3D design phase) out of 1" nylon straps and buckles. It's all about to go on hold for TRoS craziness and Christmas, but I'm looking forward to tackling her fully in Jan!

« Last Edit: Jan 28, 2020, 02:29 PM by Sor Auren » Logged
ďI think thatís what our brothers might call kandosii."

Siege of Mandalore Bo-Katan WIP

Sor Auren (Twi'lek Mando) WIP

Kryamla Redalur

• "Wait...how do you say your name?"
  • Awards Award for 100 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ clan level invasions 15+ invasions in 2018 Celebration Chicago
Re: TCW Bo-Katan WIP
« Reply #1 on: Dec 16, 2019, 12:05 PM »
Commenting to follow! :)

Manda'galaar Clan || MMCC #1278
Custom Armor WIP - Bo-Katan WIP - Bo-Katan Brigade WIP
Bounty hunting is a complicated profession...

vaderqueenzamora

• "No outsider will ever rule Mandalore."
« Reply #2 on: Dec 23, 2019, 01:20 AM »
Following

« Reply #3 on: Jan 14, 2020, 06:10 PM »
Heat-bent the thigh plates to better fit my legs, then resized the holsters to look more proportional and correct. Holsters have been glued to plates and will be sludged soon to fill in gaps.

(Resized holster is on the left, original on right)

(Both resized, Westar for scale)

Then on to test fitting! Just trying to get a feel for spacing. I'm happy with the length of the shins, though I may heat bend them slightly so they don't flare as much at the bottom. I also sized the knees, so they are ready for glueing/sludge.

Next steps:
- gauntlet prep
- re-dye soft parts (with Dylon velvet black, going well over the max load to achieve a grey...)

Question: While I trust industrial strength velcro to hold the holsters/thigh plates to my leggings, I don't trust my Bo leggings not to sag under the weight of holstered blasters. How do you other Bo-K's support those plates, or is it just a matter of prayer and constant vigilance?

Kryamla Redalur

• Awards Award for 100 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ clan level invasions 15+ invasions in 2018 Celebration Chicago
« Reply #4 on: Jan 14, 2020, 08:35 PM »
My plates donít sag too much with my current leggings, though I do wear a pair of compression leggings underneath those that I think also kinda helps? Are you blaster resin cast, 3D print, or the rubies toys? I have the toys and theyíre super lightweight and havenít given me any problems weighing down the plates thus far!

vaderqueenzamora

• "No outsider will ever rule Mandalore."
« Reply #5 on: Jan 15, 2020, 01:49 PM »
Heat-bent the thigh plates to better fit my legs, then resized the holsters to look more proportional and correct. Holsters have been glued to plates and will be sludged soon to fill in gaps.

(Resized holster is on the left, original on right)

(Both resized, Westar for scale)

Then on to test fitting! Just trying to get a feel for spacing. I'm happy with the length of the shins, though I may heat bend them slightly so they don't flare as much at the bottom. I also sized the knees, so they are ready for glueing/sludge.

Next steps:
- gauntlet prep
- re-dye soft parts (with Dylon velvet black, going well over the max load to achieve a grey...)

Question: While I trust industrial strength velcro to hold the holsters/thigh plates to my leggings, I don't trust my Bo leggings not to sag under the weight of holstered blasters. How do you other Bo-K's support those plates, or is it just a matter of prayer and constant vigilance?

Iím going to use magnets for mine. I have attempted to it but that is my plan.

« Reply #6 on: Jan 19, 2020, 03:13 PM »
My plates donít sag too much with my current leggings, though I do wear a pair of compression leggings underneath those that I think also kinda helps? Are you blaster resin cast, 3D print, or the rubies toys? I have the toys and theyíre super lightweight and havenít given me any problems weighing down the plates thus far!

My blasters are wood and the batteries for the lights don't make them any lighter : /  I think I'll see how the first few outings go, if I get tired of holding them all the time when moving, and then I'll invest in lighter plastic ones. And good shout re: compression leggings.

Iím going to use magnets for mine. I have attempted to it but that is my plan.

Worth considering, thank you!

I've done mostly boring stuff lately -- glued and started sludging the knees; trimmed the shins vertically by 1/2" on either side to look more proportional; cut and sanded and started sizing up the gauntlets; and continued sludging the holsters onto the thighs (slow going, to allow layers of sludge to cure).

« Reply #7 on: Jan 22, 2020, 03:31 PM »

Well, that solves the holster sagging problem!! XD

Given this serendipitous change, and the fact that my third dye job on the flight suit turned everything black ( -_____- ), there's no question now I'm going to just take this at a steady pace towards a Siege of Mandalore variant.

Kryamla Redalur

« Reply #8 on: Jan 22, 2020, 03:33 PM »
I noticed that too in the trailer :laugh: it looked like she had a different thigh strap too, so that should help as well!

Veris Bralor

• Awards Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 15+ clan level invasions 40% increase or more
« Reply #9 on: Jan 24, 2020, 06:20 PM »
There is a great shot of bo on the poster. Although in that shot she's wearing chest plates that match her rebels appearance better. I wonder if her kit is going to change throughout the new episodes, or if there are just two versions, nite owl chest plates and paint job -> new helmet paint and rebels chest.

« Last Edit: Jan 24, 2020, 06:25 PM by Veris Bralor » Logged

Ashen Kelborn

• Awards 267th Rapid Assault Special Weapons TCW and Rebels Canon Mandalorians Special Operations Brigade Member Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #10 on: Jan 24, 2020, 07:28 PM »
Very nice progress, commenting to follow  :like:

« Reply #11 on: Jan 26, 2020, 05:50 PM »
I noticed that too in the trailer :laugh: it looked like she had a different thigh strap too, so that should help as well!

Agreed! The new thigh straps look like the same leather material + some kind of metal greeblie at the front. Those will be really useful, to keep the bottom edges of the plates snug against the leg! I got very tired of heat-bending those to perfection, lol.

It also looks like her girth belt now covers the tops of her cod plates.

There is a great shot of bo on the poster. Although in that shot she's wearing chest plates that match her rebels appearance better. I wonder if her kit is going to change throughout the new episodes, or if there are just two versions, nite owl chest plates and paint job -> new helmet paint and rebels chest.

Yeah, there's definitely been an addition to her chest plates in the form of the two yellow rank 'slides'; it's hard to tell yet if they will be identical to her Rebel ones.

The plates are also 'flatter' -- or at least, not as angular as her original plates. The horizontal ridge is definitely rounder and smooth. They still have more curvature to them, however, than her Rebels plates, and they retain the notch at the top corners.

Her collar plate is also different. Instead of tapering down into a central point, it now has two new points to either side. It is also, I think, not as wide overall as her original one.

Anyway, while I have already heat-bent my chest plates once before, they still aren't as flat as the new ones -- hence why I am flattening them rather awkwardly into my chest in this picture :p I was trying to get a sense of where I was, proportion-wise, for the whole kit. (Ignore the undersuit and the wonky placement of the belt pouches.)

Chest plates will need to be flattened, and the 'underboob' halves widened towards the center, so that they are parallel to one another (this will be done with sludge). The chest plate will also be sized-down slightly, as it's too wide for my shoulders. The notches at the front will be added.

I took 1/2" inch off the sides of the shins, and I am much happier with them. They don't flare out so much, and the correct proportion of calf and ankle are now seen in profile.

Knee plates fit snugly. Very happy with those. It remains to be seen if the straps around the back of the knees (as seen in the concept art shown at the TCW S7 panel at SWCC) have made it into her final design.

Still a lot of work to do -- including putting my backplate back together again! It was way too wide for my ribcage, and so long that it was interfering with the belt pouches.

Veris Bralor

• Awards Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 15+ clan level invasions 40% increase or more
« Reply #12 on: Jan 26, 2020, 08:58 PM »
I'm making her rebels kit and the helmet and chest pieces are definitely a different render, but I wish they weren't half way covered on the poster's front on shot so we could confirm if the same as the shots from the trailer.

Re: Siege/S7 Bo-Katan WIP
« Reply #13 on: Feb 02, 2020, 04:51 PM »
Her S7 chest plates are definitely in some halfway house between original TCW and Rebels. I'll probably slice mine horizontally and reattach them at a less severe angle, then round out the seam.

Did a final heat-bend on the thighs before they get sent off to Poland as templates for making the S7 leather underplates. This is a comparison shot of before (bottom) and after (top).

Glued the gauntlets today and began sludging. I used fiberglass tape to reinforce the seams on the inside. Continued sludging the knees.

I use Calzedonia's black shaper leggings for my clone undersuit, and I am so in love with them. I was never sure if their grey version would be dark enough for Bo-Katan, but I found a pair in their store this weekend and they are *perfect*!! Now I just need to go around store-to-store in the mall and try to colour match some shirts.
https://www.calzedonia.com/uk/product/total_shaper_leggings-MIP029.html?dwvar_MIP029_Z_COL_COLLD=019

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!