Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Ra'z Kortu's Sando WIP (Pic Heavy)

• 17 Replies
Ra'z Kortu's Sando WIP (Pic Heavy)
« on: Dec 16, 2019, 02:20 AM »
Welcome Vode,

First off a little about myself and my planned build. My name is Clay and I am currently an UM with the Nevada Stronghold based out of Fabulous Las Vegas.

My inspiration for my kit like many recent members comes from "The Mandalorian" series. At first I wanted to do Din DJarin as canon, but after talking with a few OMs I have since changed my mind to go with a custom modern era mando as my first build. I do want to keep with a western vibe for my kit though. Eventually I think I would also like to join the dessert ops and sniper brigades, but for now I will just work to OM status.

I never planned to start my build until after tax season, but stuff has already started to take off. I figure I'd better start my WIP now. Well enough about all that lets show what I have already started.

Previously I found a flight suit I got for free and removed all visible pockets. In this pic I was dry fitting template plates for sizing. I do not plan to cut sintra until I get a flak vest. Hopefully shaping the plates and some minor correction cuts will help fix the placement. This pic was also taken at a recent armor party where I got measured up for the flak vest I plan to have commissioned.

I also took advantage of the Black Friday sale NME was having and bought an Assassins bucket. I have a lot to do until I get my bucket so I don't mind the wait.

Next up is probably what will keep me busy until our next armor party. The Blaster Pistol! My weapon of choice for my western desert mando will be a handy side arm. Since I am doing a western theme why not make it a revolver. Not sure what other names this weapon goes by but I belive it is called the Smugglers Revolver from the KOTOR video game. I never played the game personally but fell in love with the look of this pistol at first sight. Special thanks to Carlos for 3D printing it for me.

One aesthetic that I wanted to add to my weapon was weight. Since it is a 3D print the addition of weight will make the weapon feel more real. Hopefully I can do the other half and make it look real. To add weight to the weapon I am using copper coated steel bbs.

I added the bbs down the barrel of the pistol along with E6000 so the bbs do not shake and make noise. Also to keep the bbs in place I cut 2 small wooden dowels and glued them in as well. I kept space on each end of the barrel to add a orange tip and on the other end a longer dowel that will hold the revolver spinning cylinder in place. Doing this doubled the weight of this part from 80g to 160g.

Next I will be cutting out cavities in the handle and spinning revolver cylinder to add weight in the same fashion I used above. Then I will glue it all together and start removing print lines.

That about wraps up this installment of my WIP, until next time!
Oya!

« Last Edit: Jan 14, 2022, 07:26 AM by Ra'z Kortu » Logged
MMCC #UM | Sarlacc Clan (Nevada, USA)
Cabur Akaata #185 | Wrangalorian #13
Vode Be Vhekad #11
Ra'z Kortu's WIP
Stampede Nerf WIP

Ascalon

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ clan level invasions Celebration Chicago
Re: Ra'z Kortu WIP
« Reply #1 on: Dec 16, 2019, 09:45 PM »
Looks like you have a really good start. My wife did something similar to her blasters and added weight to make them feel more real. You won’t be sorry with the NME we own two and they are worth the wait. Keep posting updates looking forward to watching your build.

PP1 Boba Fett WIP

Tra’cor Clan MMCC1981
« Reply #2 on: Dec 26, 2019, 11:21 PM »
Our saga continues,

Last I posted I had just started to add weight to the Smugglers Revolver, finished clean up and began preparing for some assembly and removal of print lines.

Over the last couple of weeks leading into the holidays this has been my progress. I began with dremeling out pockets in the revolvers spinning cylinder. Then glueing in more steel BB's. Lastly glueing the two halves together.

Then the same with the Revolvers handle to balance the weight except I kept the two halves spit for future assembly.

Then I pre-assembled with duct tape and a dowel rod (not shown) to get a rough weight of the blaster before paint. It ended up weighting just over a pound. Not as heavy as I'd like but decent for what I had to work with.

Next came the dauntless task of hand sanding to remove print lines. Starting with 120 and 220 grit I hand sanded paying close attention to the handle area as I wanted to keep some print lines because they look like wood grain.

For Christmas I recieved a mouse sander with a detailed attachment and this made the sanding go by much faster. After finishing sanding I taped off some areas I did not feel needed primer and paint. Then I was ready for my first coat of primer.

That's about all I have done for now. Lots more sanding and painting, but hopeful to have this done before my next armor party in a couple of weeks. Then on to a new project.

Oya!

« Last Edit: Dec 26, 2019, 11:30 PM by Ra'z Kortu » Logged
Vode Be Vhekad #11
Ra'z Kortu's WIP
Stampede Nerf WIP

Bel Tay'haai

• M.A. #081
« Reply #3 on: Dec 27, 2019, 10:20 PM »
Looking great! Looking forward to seeing more!

« Reply #4 on: Jan 18, 2020, 07:52 PM »
I'm back...,

So I must admit recently I have been slow and lazy at getting things done. Last Update I thought I would have my blaster finished by now but I have over estimated myself.

After the primer had dried I was pleased that almost all print lines where gone. I figured what imperfections you could see would most likely be covered with paint/weathering.

One thing I was not pleased with was the cracks from where I glued the split pieces together. So I used Bondo to to fill these cracks and sanded smooth.

Next I prepped for a base coat of paint and taped off the handle and other areas.

I then painted all the pieces with a metallic silver base coat. Once dried I then prepared for weathering using masking fluid. I was quickly cautioned by some of my stronghold members to assembly before starting weathering and I took their advice. This meant that I would need to weather and put the final paint on the revolvers cylinder before assembly. Also I needed to tape it to protect it during any assembly and further painting.

A big concern I had was the amount of layers of paint between the cylinder and the rest of the pistol housing to allow it to spin freely. With the tape added I figured it would give sufficient clearance once removed. So I began to finally assemble... (So many clamps used)

Again I found areas that I was not pleased with once glued so I again used Bondo to fill these areas. Theses areas where along the trigger guard, trigger, unknown piece in front of the trigger, hammer, and the handles butt. The rest of the seam I figured would be OK to leave with a crack showing that it was not one solid piece.

At our recent armor party I again hit it with some silver paint to get the areas that I previously had taped and used Bondo on. Again, I used masking fluid and finally put down the top coat of paint on the rest of the pistol.

I have got to say for my first attempt at weathering I think it has turned out great, so far. I do realize I could have weathered in some area and not so much in others to make it look more realistic but that aside I'm happy with it so far. I would also like to note that the cylinder does spin, but not as free as I would like it to. My skills will only improve and I'm glad I started with this rather than my helmet or armor.

It has been a week or two since I have even touched my blaster. I plan to finish it soon as I have a 4 day weekend right now off from work. My plans are to paint the hand guards to look wooden, apply a wash and add some detail paint to few other areas, all before hitting it with a clear coat.

During the last week I have also taught myself how to make rank ropes. I started with my Cabur Akaata rope. I ended up making two, one for my kit and another for patch jacket I plan to make. I already have a few patches just waiting on the back patch to begin it. I think I am also going to start making my Strongholds rank ropes in preparation for when we again become a clan later this year. (Oya, its going to happen round 3 for Nevada)

Also, Not sure if this is allowed. Can anyone please guide me with any tips on how to tie this end and/or find these tips used? I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks
(Close up pic of the ropes Jorad Werde sells from Iron Phoenix Props)

See you next installment, Oya!

Vode Be Vhekad #11
Ra'z Kortu's WIP
Stampede Nerf WIP

Malakier Vhett

• 'The Craziest Merc'
  • No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 50 official invasions. Award for 75 official invasions. Celebration Anaheim 2022
Re: Ra'z Kortu's WIP (Pic *Heavy*)
« Reply #5 on: Jan 19, 2020, 08:08 PM »
Pistolis looking great! Be careful leaving print lines, as they are very distinctive and often still easily identifiable as print lines

For the rank ropes, there is nothing against making them. And you are completely welcome to wear your Cabur Akaata rope. Just be sure to put it on your left side (official rank ropes go on right, all others go on left).

Armor does not make a Mandalorian. The armor is simply a manifestation of an impenetrable, unassailable heart.
« Reply #6 on: Jan 24, 2020, 12:22 AM »
I think its done...

Like I mentioned before, I wanted to keep a few print lines in the handle to make it look like wood grain. First I coated the handle with a dark brown spray paint.

Then I decided to do some accent painting in a blue metallic color. This color was identical to my reference photo I will post later.

Now came the part I really feared, applying a wash. This has been my first attempt at prop making and this felt like a sin after the hard work I had put into it so far. I attempted a darker brown wash on the handle to draw out the wood grain effect. Then I added a reddish brown wash to just the metallic silver areas to give the effect of rust.

Then to top it all off I added a light tan/brown wash to the entire blaster to give it the effect that I have been scouring the desert for bounties. This part got messy and out of hand quickly since it was a lighter color added to a darker base.

The finale and reference photos!

More to come as soon as my tax return comes in.

Oya!

Vode Be Vhekad #11
Ra'z Kortu's WIP
Stampede Nerf WIP
« Reply #7 on: Apr 07, 2020, 12:50 AM »
I guess its been a bit since I posted to my WIP.

Got a little bit done in my spare time as I got a few commissioned and other items in to work on. First off I got my NME Assassin bucket finally.

I bought the hero cast so it mostly came cleaned up and smooth. I began in on it by cutting out the visor area, back key slots, and ear cap holes and slots.

Next I planned out how to install the visor and make a paper template. The template was hard at first and I had to go through a couple revisions before getting it right. This was mostly because I wanted it to fit a 12"x12" square because my intentions was to buy a visor from Kalevala. It wasn't until I figured out I had to turn it diagonal for it to fit the tear drop areas, that I finally got it right.

Then I basically followed this tutorial to a "T" (Dad jokes on point...) for mounting. (Visor Installation Guide) Shout out to Syper for making this tutorial.

Lastly I cut out off the support bars in the middle and bottom and notched out an area for the visor to rest at the bottom. This way it fits snug but still maintains support for the mandibles to not flex together or apart. I also got the Kalevala visor in from shipping and was easily able to cut it out with my template, punch some holes for the studs and install it. I fits very flush and I was super pleased with the over all outcome.  :8):

Got some sweet Bluetooth LED name tags which I plan to mount on the inside of the ear cap slots I cut out.

Also got some soft goods I ordered a bit ago come in. Sketchers Blaine Orsen Boots, Voodoo Tactical Gloves, and a Blackhawk Balaclava.

Playing around with some heal/toe tap plates to make some noise as I walk. May scratch this idea and go with some kind of spurs that would be somewhat hidden.

(Bonus) Got my 11 inch back patch and started a patch shirt for handling at events.

That's about it this time. Hopefully my next update wont be so long. Till next time.

Oya!

Vode Be Vhekad #11
Ra'z Kortu's WIP
Stampede Nerf WIP
« Reply #8 on: Aug 05, 2020, 01:31 AM »
Been a bit since my last update but I'm still active COVID has really slowed things down with orders coming in and lack of armor parties.

First off I ordered some gauntlet toppers from Kruser a while back. Cleaned them up a bit, drilled holes for lights/buttons etc. Need to work on the other side soon.

Also decided to use a Arduino Nano in one of the gauntlets to program the 3 lights to a random sequence. I never used Arduinos so I used most of the tutorial on the forums here.

Also was able to start on some knees. I'm using 6 mm sintra Boba Fett knees with 6 mm trauma plates but I may change the trauma to 3mm. Also using the knee kit from Kruser in the above pic.

Picked up a free metal canteen from a local thrift store I plan to use for desert brigade.

Playing around with some greeblies I pulled from a breast pump and some Nerf gun innards. May add a hose attachment if I can find something that works.

Also picked up a warn out canteen holder from a local army surplus store. If not approved I will likely go with one of the other two holders shown below.

Grabbed some horse riding half chaps as well. Wearing them on oposite legs then intended so the zipper is on the inside of my legs. Plan is to attach shin armor to these. I have no plan to add thigh plates. This way I can stay in the light armor category and join some brigades.

Lastly I was finally able to get my custom vest in from Aria. The flightsuit and vest are a bit tight in the mid section because I have grew some due to COVID... So I plan to hit the gym a bit and diet some to make it fit better. If not I may get a new flight suit all together and alter the vest.

*Notes*
- Flightsuit arms and legs need to be taken in
- Helmet has no padding
- Nothing weathered or painted

That's about all for now! Excited to start working on plates finally now that I have a vest. Till next time.

« Last Edit: Aug 05, 2020, 10:13 AM by Ra'z Kortu » Logged
Vode Be Vhekad #11
Ra'z Kortu's WIP
Stampede Nerf WIP
« Reply #9 on: Aug 06, 2020, 05:08 PM »
The progress looks great brother. I can't wait till the armor starts happening :-)

I look forward to seeing what comes next.

« Reply #10 on: Oct 06, 2020, 12:10 AM »
Been a couple of months but I'm still slowly working at this build.

First off I started on a Cod and set of shins after Kruser posted how he makes Cods on the FB builders group. I followed his tutorial almost to the letter and also reached out to him for suggestions/advice. Pretty happy with the outcome.

Started with a few custom/standard Jango templates.

Then moved on to transfering them to 6mm Sintra and forming plates.

The filler piece between the plates proved to be the most difficult. I was able to trace the gap on some wax paper and transfer it to sintra. then sanded it to fit the gap better.

Glued everything up using B&S CA glue.

Then I used Apoxie Sculpt to fill the rest of the big gaps.

24 Hrs past and I was able to sand it all smooth.

Still some minor work needed on these pieces I want to do such as bondo spot putty and primer to fill the small cracks where I bonded the sintra together.

After those pieces where done I ordered some Yugoslavian M48 Mauser 2-cell leather ammo pouches off Ebay. These I feel will fit my desert kit nicely.

I was then able to get a great visual of the current state of my kit. I suited up with everything I had on hand and laid out on the floor. Nothing is currently attached.

Continuing on I decided to give my gauntlets some love! I started out with forming the bottom halves.

My idea for a closure devise was to add a piano hinge down both sides of each gauntlet. One side as the pivot point for opening and closing with a rod that is not removable. The other side as the closure device with a removable rod. The rod is bent at one end and tucks away on the inside of the gauntlet near my forearm.

That's about all for this installation. Moving further my plan is to finish my gauntlets, design and make a custom back plate, add a mohair girth belt, add a side shoulder cape and now I have decided to add a kama to cover my rear flank... Someone shared with me this image of the kama design I now have in mind. I like how it is slightly pulled around further on one side more than the other. Eventually I would like to add a drop holster that is belted to my right thigh and I feel this design would help with movement while in kit. Also lets face it, it looks bad a** too!

Till next time!

Vode Be Vhekad #11
Ra'z Kortu's WIP
Stampede Nerf WIP
« Reply #11 on: Oct 26, 2020, 06:54 PM »
 :like: nice, i am interested to see the progress

spesso sei come una foglia in balia degli elementi, ti muovi seguendo il vento ma non sai mai che succede, e perché succede, segui solo il vento.

The child who plays grows, the adult who stops playing ages (E. Montale)

J'Khara Vontess

• Ever heard of shock and awe? You're looking at it
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 Special Operations Brigade Member 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
« Reply #12 on: Nov 21, 2020, 12:28 PM »
The pistols are epic and really digging the lighting on the helmet and gauntlets. Great progress so far  :like:

The cod turned out great, kruser has awesome tutorials. He did one on weathering for Mercscon Online and I will use that for my newest build.

You've got some great building skills. Looking forward to seeing more!

« Reply #13 on: Nov 21, 2020, 08:39 PM »
The pistols are epic and really digging the lighting on the helmet and gauntlets. Great progress so far  :like:

The cod turned out great, kruser has awesome tutorials. He did one on weathering for Mercscon Online and I will use that for my newest build.

You've got some great building skills. Looking forward to seeing more!

Thanks! I have tried to do my homework for this build and have gotten much of my inspiration from fellow mercs. Kruser and your husband just to name a few! Thank you so much for seeking out our Strongholds WIPs and leaving comments.

Vode Be Vhekad #11
Ra'z Kortu's WIP
Stampede Nerf WIP
« Reply #14 on: Jan 09, 2022, 05:04 PM »
Ok so its been well over a year since I last posted...life kind of happened. Bought my first house and moved, hosted a few armor parties, worked a lot, continued to build, then the military felt it was time to deploy me for 6 months. I'm still currently deployed but set to be back soon. It definitely stopped my ability to work on my Merc, but gave me a chance to save up to start a new cosplay. I decided to build a OT Tie Pilot and enlist with the 501st Jolly Roger's Squadron. Currently I have all the soft parts for that base costume and the hat to wear for the Tie Reserve Pilot. Hopefully I will be able to submit that costume as soon as I get home and make minor alterations. Anyways enough of that, I have quite a back log of photos and updates on my Merc!

First up I had help to build a simple shoulder cape. I wanted to make it 2 tones of grey with a grey edging using bias tape. It was my first time using a sewing machine and I had a ton of help from my friend and clan mate Driggs. It was his first time using bias tape so we resorted to YouTube.

Finished shoulder cape... for now!

Driggs also helped me make a kama using the same design principles. Yay, more supervised practice with a sewing machine!

May decide to wear it off set to one side. Still haven't decided. Eventually I want to make a drop holster that will attach to my leg with a strap and I don't want the kama in the way of my draw. didn't make a slit up the back for this reason. May change my mind later. Just a though!

Next up I began work on my back plate. I wanted to go with a segmented look tapering down my back in 3 different segments. The best way I could come up with a unique design was to draw out what I liked over an existing Boba/Jango back plate template and cut it out. This is what I came up with.

Transferred that to 6mm sintra and cut it out and molded it to my back.

That's when I realized I had a bit of a problem with my collar and top back plate not aligning properly. The inner edge near my neck was fine but the outer edge was a bit too long.

Used some painters tape to make new lines...

...and made the cuts needed to align properly. May still need some tweaking to fit right but its close.

Salvaged and found some desert trophies (still in work of course).

Bought a mohair horse belt and attached some nylon black straps I salvaged off of an old back pack. Used a soldering iron to make holes for the buckles. Eventually I want to die this burgundy/brick red. Looking into Rit dyes or even wood stains. Reading up on how some people make Boba's belt and oddly enough some use wood stains. I'm just afraid something will transfer to my other soft parts over time. Does anyone have experience or suggestions?

Decided I wanted some more layers with my waist items so started planning out a simple sash . This was to go over my kama and cod but under my mohair and ammo belts. Also using the left over materials I had from my kama and cape.

This time I used my own sewing machine with no assistance to make the sash. Sewed a couple of strips of velcro to attach and done!

Some time during all this costume madness I bought a 3d printer (CR-10 v3) and began learning the ropes for that as well. Hope to make some nice weapons and trophies to start off with then move up to bigger items like helmets etc.

Took a long break from my armor so decided it was time to retackle something. Why not start small... knees! Following how Kruser made his knees, I made a top plate out of 3mm sintra and used his resin knee accessory kit he sells.

Glued the top plate on and filled the bottom gap with Apoxie Sculpt to be sanded to to a curve later.

Screwed and Glued on accessories.

(Not shown) Sanded a curve to the bottom edge and filled all gaps with Bondo Spot Putty.
A couple of light layers of filler primer for anything I missed and sanded smooth.

Really hated the way my vest from Aria was fitting me, as it was too tight even with loosing weight. The material was also rather thick to be trooping in Vegas with. My friend Driggs let me try on his new vest and it fit perfectly. I just knew I had to have one of my own but in brown.

Also decided to make a duct tape mannequin to make it easier to do my own alterations without as much help.

After a very short wait my vest arrived from K'raam Xrati. I requested him to make a neck cut out for my chin and no half circle cut out on the back bottom area. Keeping with the brown colored vest, not 2 toned this time. This should match my boots and gloves well.

First try on... a bit too big mostly in the neck and torso.

Decided to bring in the torso by seam ripping up the back seam and bringing it in about a half an inch or so. Also reworking the back neck closure to tighten it up as well.

And that's about all I got to before I deployed. Shouldn't be much longer and I will be back at this build hopefully with more often updates and goodies to share. Let me know what you guys think. See you soon!

Oya!

« Last Edit: Jan 09, 2022, 05:10 PM by Ra'z Kortu » Logged
Vode Be Vhekad #11
Ra'z Kortu's WIP
Stampede Nerf WIP
« Reply #15 on: Jan 10, 2022, 11:21 PM »
This is such a great build log, your pictures are great.  It's very inspiring.

« Reply #16 on: Jan 11, 2022, 02:08 AM »
This is such a great build log, your pictures are great.  It's very inspiring.

Thank you! I've tried to stay active with it as much as possible. Even if I miss a few months of work I always have pics to look back on. Being in a Stronghold is difficult to get proper feedback, our leadership is quite spread out. I figured a WIP is the best way to share where I am currently at. If it helps others along the way thats great too. Look for more updates in the coming months hopefully.

Vode Be Vhekad #11
Ra'z Kortu's WIP
Stampede Nerf WIP
« Reply #17 on: Jan 11, 2022, 01:58 PM »
I guess I never posted my concept I did a while back on MandoCreator. I decided to recreate it with all the new features they have added. There is a few things it wouldn't let me do  but it should be pretty much on par. I'm no artist so this is the best I will probably get for a concept. Let me know what you think and if I'm on the right track so far!

« Last Edit: Jan 15, 2022, 08:46 AM by Ra'z Kortu » Logged
Vode Be Vhekad #11
Ra'z Kortu's WIP
Stampede Nerf WIP

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!