Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Loth-cat WIP

• 91 Replies

Kryamla Redalur

• "Wait...how do you say your name?"
  • Awards Award for 100 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ clan level invasions 15+ invasions in 2018 Celebration Chicago
Re: Loth-cat WIP
« Reply #15 on: Mar 24, 2020, 03:04 PM »
Love the concept and your tooka doll! Following with interest :)

« Reply #16 on: Mar 24, 2020, 04:43 PM »
I like the others love this concept :D
I look forward to seeing it progress :D

blondebethel

• When it gets strange like this, it's a good thing!
« Reply #17 on: Mar 25, 2020, 11:00 PM »
Thank you everyone for the support! Since I'm working from home now, I'm making good progress on my armor during breaks.

I worked on filling in and sanding the breast darts today. It was much easier than I though it would be!
I started to look at placement and fine tuning, but I had such a hard time seeing the black plates against my black flak vest! I gave a light coat of primer so I can see now!

I've also been working on my vibro axe/glaive as well. I still have a lot more to work on, but I like how it's turning out so far.

Hopefully tomorrow I can get my sister's help with the spacing of the plates.

« Reply #18 on: Mar 26, 2020, 05:55 AM »
Looking really great!  I'm going for a Tooka theme myself.  This was my original idea for a Tooka sigil:

And this is the revamp/final design:

jethroskull

• “Ruug'la bal o'r te ara.”
« Reply #19 on: Mar 29, 2020, 11:53 AM »
A few weeks ago I made my first trophy and guiding star for this build. A tooka doll! I named him Boonta. I will use the same teal duck cloth for my girth belt and other fabric accessories for my kit.

Okay, now I absolutely need one of these for my vaporator backpack.

Improvise Adapt Overcome

A'denadiik Syngh (Jaro); desert rat, pirate
Wolves of Mandalore Clan
Cabur Akaata #183 - Grey Brigade/OT Guard #74 - F&AMM - Wrangalor #009

blondebethel

« Reply #20 on: Mar 30, 2020, 08:20 PM »
Looking really great!  I'm going for a Tooka theme myself.  This was my original idea for a Tooka sigil:

And this is the revamp/final design:

I love it! I plan to paint whatever my final design on my shoulder as well. I did one design I think would look cool as a decal. I just have to find someone to make one. 

blondebethel

« Reply #21 on: Mar 30, 2020, 08:48 PM »
I got a lot done this weekend!

First I started painting my armor. After a few primer coats, I did a layer of silver, followed by a clear coat to protect the silver paint from future abuse. Then I masked the edges and a few mistakes I made when shaping with toothpaste. I've never done this type of weathering before, but I tested it on a scrap piece and I like how it looks! I did buy real masking fluid but it hasn't arrived yet.
Then I started putting down paint! Going from light to dark colors

I waited 24 hours for my first base color to dry completely before moving to masking.  Just to be safe.

I also ombre dyed my cape and loincloth made of white denim. I like how they turned out!
I still have to finish my girth belt but I stuck it on just to see the colors together. I have a black turtleneck and leggings so the colors should hopefully pop.

I still have to weather all my soft parts but I'm always loathed to rough up something thats new/handmade at first.

Naasad Tal

• "Aliit ori'shya tal'din"
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Award for 100 official invasions.
« Reply #22 on: Mar 30, 2020, 08:51 PM »
Nice work! The dye on the cape & loin cloth is beautiful!

Chris S. OM# 454 | Shonare Vhekadla Clan | VRCA #20 | Elegant Mando #66 | Desert Ops #2

Raeza

« Reply #23 on: Mar 30, 2020, 09:18 PM »
This is like my favorite build right now!

jethroskull

• “Ruug'la bal o'r te ara.”
« Reply #24 on: Mar 30, 2020, 10:12 PM »
Just wow! That dye job is incredible. This is going to be so cool...

Improvise Adapt Overcome

A'denadiik Syngh (Jaro); desert rat, pirate
Wolves of Mandalore Clan
Cabur Akaata #183 - Grey Brigade/OT Guard #74 - F&AMM - Wrangalor #009
« Reply #25 on: Mar 31, 2020, 01:22 AM »
More loth-cat sigil people! Yay!!

Bethel, I've recently acquired a vinyl cutter - I'm in Australia though, so I dont know how easy it would be to get you some decals & potentially a paint stencil, but I'm absolutely happy to make some for you! I love this kit so much!

QMU #025 | Y.K.O.M.S #02/K.O.M.S #046 |MA #146 - 24er |Writer's Bloc #017
« Reply #26 on: Mar 31, 2020, 07:38 AM »
This is such a neat concept and you are doing an amazing job. Can’t wait to see this finished!

Raeza

« Reply #27 on: Mar 31, 2020, 09:38 AM »
I never thought to use star wars animals as inspiration. I actually started looking at my favorite creature, a varactyl, and seeing what a build based off one would look like. I think it could be an interesting build!

« Reply #28 on: Mar 31, 2020, 05:04 PM »
This is so good! I hope my build comes out even just half as good as this. I love the ombre effect! I was thinking of doing something similar with my cape. How did you do this?

Can't wait to see it all come together. It is going to be awesome.

blondebethel

« Reply #29 on: Mar 31, 2020, 10:28 PM »
This is so good! I hope my build comes out even just half as good as this. I love the ombre effect! I was thinking of doing something similar with my cape. How did you do this?

Can't wait to see it all come together. It is going to be awesome.

Thank you! I followed the ombre tutorial on the Rit Dye website, I also watched a few other youtube videos to gain confidence.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!