Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Loth-cat WIP- Approved

• 129 Replies

Evren Jaira

• She/They
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023.
Re: Loth-cat WIP
« Reply #25 on: Mar 31, 2020, 01:22 AM »
More loth-cat sigil people! Yay!!

Bethel, I've recently acquired a vinyl cutter - I'm in Australia though, so I dont know how easy it would be to get you some decals & potentially a paint stencil, but I'm absolutely happy to make some for you! I love this kit so much!

OM #2745|QMU #025|MA #146 - 24er|House Nelvaan #32

CaTra Dral

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Clan Growth Force Hunter Brigade Member 267th Rapid Assault
« Reply #26 on: Mar 31, 2020, 07:38 AM »
This is such a neat concept and you are doing an amazing job. Can’t wait to see this finished!

Brigades Member:
Force Hunter/ Demolitions

Bo-Katan Rebels Season 4 WIP

Bo-Katan Live Action WIP

Raeza

« Reply #27 on: Mar 31, 2020, 09:38 AM »
I never thought to use star wars animals as inspiration. I actually started looking at my favorite creature, a varactyl, and seeing what a build based off one would look like. I think it could be an interesting build!

« Reply #28 on: Mar 31, 2020, 05:04 PM »
This is so good! I hope my build comes out even just half as good as this. I love the ombre effect! I was thinking of doing something similar with my cape. How did you do this?

Can't wait to see it all come together. It is going to be awesome.

Nadala Haast

• When it gets strange like this, it's a good thing!
  • Awards Beastmaster Brigade Member 15+ clan level invasions Family events
« Reply #29 on: Mar 31, 2020, 10:28 PM »
This is so good! I hope my build comes out even just half as good as this. I love the ombre effect! I was thinking of doing something similar with my cape. How did you do this?

Can't wait to see it all come together. It is going to be awesome.

Thank you! I followed the ombre tutorial on the Rit Dye website, I also watched a few other youtube videos to gain confidence.

Nadala Haast

« Reply #30 on: Mar 31, 2020, 10:29 PM »
More loth-cat sigil people! Yay!!

Bethel, I've recently acquired a vinyl cutter - I'm in Australia though, so I dont know how easy it would be to get you some decals & potentially a paint stencil, but I'm absolutely happy to make some for you! I love this kit so much!
I love your sigil. I might have to hit you up on the decal. I've been debating if I want a cricut for a while to make stickers, decals, and such. But I'm right on the cusp of it not being worth it.

Nadala Haast

« Reply #31 on: Mar 31, 2020, 10:40 PM »
Paint Update!
I think I'm done with the plates!
I kept the design fairly simple and abstract. I didn't want to stray into looking like a Cats costume  ;)

Freshly painted:

It was a struggle getting the toothpaste mask off. But my bottle of masking fluid came today so I will experiment with that on some scraps and probably switch to that for the rest of the build.

Paste removed:

Then I went over the whole thing with several washes of brown paint that I wiped off, as well as some Rub and Buff around the weathered edges. It's hard to tell in the photo but it made the cream parts look much more worn and weathered.

Weathered:

For my first time painting armor, I'm pretty happy how these turned out! I'm leaving the shoulder bells blank for future sigils and art.

I would like to say thank you everyone for your kind words and support. It's been keeping me motivated and excited to work on this kit in a time where there are no armor parties. Lots of Loth Cat love to you all!

Karl Dha'Werda

• MMCC Karl & Rex Dha'Werda &RL/TDE Karl Darklighter
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Donated four quarters of 2023. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #32 on: Apr 01, 2020, 07:55 AM »
Oh Wow!  This is looking great.

Fair warning I like to take pictures and I've written a novel, so be prepared for both.
Karl Dha'Werda Facebook
Oyu'baat Clan
OM Troops: 84
Mandalorian WIP
Late Crusader kit
B.E.A.R.D.S#137|Mando Rider#038|ALUMINATI#036 FMM|MLCS#026|Oribru Akaata#54|MVS#100

Raeza

« Reply #33 on: Apr 02, 2020, 07:53 AM »
Are you thinking about going for Beast Master Brigade?

Nadala Haast

« Reply #34 on: Apr 04, 2020, 08:00 PM »
As I wait for more industrial velcro to come, I focused on accessories. I didn't document the process so I don't think they need their own WIP post.

First, my vibro axe. I might add a few details and will change the cloth wrap, but it is basically done!

Next I found an old super 8 camera that was in The Mandalorian as binoculars. With a few additions and different paint job think they can work. It also came with a beautiful bag, that I might use for another costume. I would cover the design with a greeblie or something.

Lastly, I made my first trophy. It's made up of left over pieces from my Enfys Nest build. I think it would be neat to make a trophy that represents each of my Star Wars costumes.

« Reply #35 on: Apr 05, 2020, 04:08 PM »
This has come out awesome so far! I can't wait to see it on!

GoldenCat

• Honorable Fighter
« Reply #36 on: Apr 07, 2020, 05:58 AM »
Looks amazing - love the design and all the work  :like: :like:

Kryamla Redalur

• "Wait...how do you say your name?"
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 100 official invasions.
« Reply #37 on: Apr 07, 2020, 05:37 PM »
Great progress :)

Manda'galaar Clan || MMCC #1278
Bo-Katan WIP - Bo-Katan Brigade WIP
- S7 Bo-Katan WIP

Nadala Haast

« Reply #38 on: Apr 16, 2020, 12:55 AM »
About 10 days ago (what is time these days?!) I tried on what I had so far and it gave me a lot of confidence. I've already fixed and added a lot since then so hopefully I can get better photos soon. But enjoy this one of me with my own loth-cat for now!

I'm checking things off my list, but I still need my helmet (a long debacle), black leather belt pouches (being made), and permanent gauntlets (from April Storm).
In the meantime I made some half bracers just for fun. I probably won't app with them, but I'm not sure how long my gauntlets will take to get here so I can play with these until they do.

As I've been waiting for the bigs things to arrive I've worked on a lot of little details.
  • sewed knee velcro onto my leggings, very stressful
  • sewed the raw fur edge under so you can't see the plastic
  • painted the faux fur to look more real
  • added buckles to cape and vest for secure hold
  • started to weather the soft parts
  • tightened up the girth belt and sash
  • added my sigil the to shoulder!

I've also been working on a canteen holder and two knives. Here is the smaller of the two knives. The handle is a saguaro rib that I found in a neighbor's trash.

I feel like I'm getting so close to a full kit I can't wait!

Naasad Tal

• "Aliit ori'shya tal'din"
  • Awards 150 troops 15+ clan level invasions Family events 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
« Reply #39 on: Apr 16, 2020, 01:08 AM »
So so awesome! The trophies & knife are amazing!!

Chris S. OM# 454
Shonare Vhekadla Clan #33
Brigades: Desert Ops #2
Societies: VRCA #20, Elegant Mando #66, Cabur Akaata #72, Vode Be Vhekad #2

Kiru Setu

• Mandorable
  • Awards Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Award for 100 official invasions. Award for 75 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions Family events
« Reply #40 on: Apr 16, 2020, 01:35 AM »
Really amazing work!

Kiru Setu, Mandorable
Shonare Vhekadla Clan
MMCC#1926

Karl Dha'Werda

• MMCC Karl & Rex Dha'Werda &RL/TDE Karl Darklighter
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Donated four quarters of 2023. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #41 on: Apr 16, 2020, 08:18 AM »
Amazing. Be sure to add weathering to your sigil on the shoulder bell to match the rest of your armour.  You'll also want to add weathering to all that black (flak vest, belt, flightsuit, and when you make you leather pouches).  I'd recommend some light mists from a spray can of tans, browns, and maybe whites on the material.  This will make your weathering pop on the black and match the rest of your kit.

Fair warning I like to take pictures and I've written a novel, so be prepared for both.
Karl Dha'Werda Facebook
Oyu'baat Clan
OM Troops: 84
Mandalorian WIP
Late Crusader kit
B.E.A.R.D.S#137|Mando Rider#038|ALUMINATI#036 FMM|MLCS#026|Oribru Akaata#54|MVS#100

jethroskull

• Awards Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023.
« Reply #42 on: Apr 17, 2020, 11:12 AM »
Tabby love! 😻

Padawan

• For a dreamer, night's the only time of day
« Reply #43 on: Apr 17, 2020, 01:38 PM »
That is looking awesome, vod! I can't wait to see how the macrobinoculars turn out

-Sofia C
Nerf mod
Kuvira WIP
Because I love the adrenaline in my veins, I do whatever it takes

Jaa'lir Corvus

• pronouns: they/them/theirs
« Reply #44 on: Apr 19, 2020, 02:14 PM »
I am positively green with envy over this, vod. Amazing work with the paint, and the ombre is awesome. Watching with interest!

Jaa'lir Corvus - Field Medic - OM 2933 - Vok'Chi Clan (UK)
Gar shuk meh kyrayc, ne'cuy jare'la osik. (You're no good dead, don't be a stupid POS.)
« Reply #45 on: Apr 19, 2020, 06:40 PM »
Hello new to the forum and I love this design.  Would a concept like this be accepted as an official armor into the club?  Or are the regulations more about the construction?

« Reply #46 on: Apr 20, 2020, 06:49 PM »

The handle is a saguaro rib that I found in a neighbor's trash.

I feel so at home in a group where trash picking makes beauty like this a reality.  :like:

I love this kit, so cool and inspiring! One of the concepts I'm working on is a Loth Wolf inspired kit. I'm pretty sure I'm going to start with something a bit more subdued for my first build but why stop with one, right?

« Last Edit: Apr 20, 2020, 09:15 PM by Gemma » Logged

Nadala Haast

« Reply #47 on: Apr 22, 2020, 08:26 PM »
Update! Knives and Bucket Time

First I finished my saguaro daggers last week, the leather and tools for the sheaths are in the mail now. I'm thinking about making a drop-down sheath for the larger one so I can have it strapped to my thigh. Or it will go on my belt. For the little one I think I might attach it to my half-chaps using a detachable sheath.

My first helmet was WAY too big and was able to work it out with the original seller. But I was able to find a semi-local maker and he printed me a new one. It's as small as we could make it while still being able to get my head inside. The helmet is much more triangular than it looks!
He ran out of his regular filament and with all the shipping delays he had to use what he had around the house. So I get the amazing technicolor helmet!
I almost feel bad painting over it.

While I was waiting for it to be printed, I sketched out my final concept for the helmet. It might change as I'm actually painting it, but this will serve as a good reference. I did 3 or 4 versions of the design, each time making it more and more simple while maintaining the feline element.

The big thing with this costume is that I didn't want to look like I am in CATS  :P. So I'm more alluding to loth-cats than directly using their patterns.

It's starting to get hot here in Arizona so I want to get the outside sanding work done quickly before May rolls around.

Naasad Tal

• "Aliit ori'shya tal'din"
  • Awards 150 troops 15+ clan level invasions Family events 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
« Reply #48 on: Apr 22, 2020, 08:29 PM »
Great progress! Glad you were able to get the helmet sorted out

Chris S. OM# 454
Shonare Vhekadla Clan #33
Brigades: Desert Ops #2
Societies: VRCA #20, Elegant Mando #66, Cabur Akaata #72, Vode Be Vhekad #2

Kryamla Redalur

• "Wait...how do you say your name?"
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 100 official invasions.
« Reply #49 on: Apr 22, 2020, 10:14 PM »
The filament turned out really cool on that helmet! My friend has a 3D printed ursa helmet (for her ursa wren lol) and I know hers was pretty fragile so I’d recommend reinforcing the seams on the inside!

I really like your helmet design, can’t wait to see it painted :)

Manda'galaar Clan || MMCC #1278
Bo-Katan WIP - Bo-Katan Brigade WIP
- S7 Bo-Katan WIP

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!