Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Loth-cat WIP

• 103 Replies

Eryn

Re: Loth-cat WIP
« Reply #75 on: May 10, 2020, 01:52 AM »
That looks real slick! I took a more stylized approach with my Loth-Cat design elements. I am excited to see more people and how they interpret the Loth-Cat motif.

« Reply #76 on: May 10, 2020, 01:53 AM »
I have to say this is probably my favorite build I've seen so far the paint is amazing. The Plushie and the Buckle Signet are so cute and I'm honestly jealous of the entire build

Cypher117

« Reply #77 on: May 10, 2020, 01:21 PM »
This is all incredible. I love seeing such creative, intricate work!!

« Reply #78 on: May 18, 2020, 04:51 PM »
Wow, this is amazing. Love the little touches like the belt buckle. Also the teal visor is slick as, love it.

Good tip for weathering without damage is to dilute some bleach - REALLY dilute, like a couple of teaspoons in 500ml/1pint of water - put it in a spray bottle and very lightly mist it over wear points (knees, elbows, hips, shoulders). Leave to dry in the sun, come back an hour or so later, apply another coat. Repeat until it is a) noticeable and b) weathered enough.

Jaa'lir Corvus - Field Medic - Prospective for Vok'Chi
Gar shuk meh kyrayc, ne jare'la osik. (You're no good dead, don't be a stupid POS.)

Racin Kyram

• Mess with the Best, die like the Rest
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #79 on: May 18, 2020, 05:46 PM »
Wow. Impressive. Most impressive.  :boba: :jango:

Reika

« Reply #80 on: May 19, 2020, 05:06 AM »
This looks great! Loving the design

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #81 on: May 19, 2020, 05:24 PM »
Looking great! On weathering black soft parts, I've also had a lot of luck with wearing some nitrile gloves and just hand-smearing on small amounts of grey and brown acrylic paint. Depending on the brand, some might come off in the wash but it usually holds up pretty well over time.

QMU 72| M.A.B.E.L. 77| Cabur Akaata 144

blondebethel

• When it gets strange like this, it's a good thing!
« Reply #82 on: May 23, 2020, 04:12 PM »
Thanks everyone for the advice on weathering the soft parts. I did the acrylic method with a dusting of spray paint. The acrylic washed out, but the spray paint stayed pretty well so I will go over again with the spray.

After looking at some full body photos, I decided I needed something on my shins to break up the black. But I can't decide which I like better, the fur or the shin armor. I plan on kitting up tomorrow to get full body photos of each.

I just realized the shin photo is pre-weathering

Also I finished my gauntlets from April Storm! I included some stripes to match my helmet. I have progress photos but they are pretty standard and won't share them here.

The longer Mando'a is a rough Tolkien quote "little by little one goes far" and the other says "follow the white loth cat"

Lastly I got some more pouches that are larger. One to allow for my speaker and the big one for my phone and wallet!

Naasad Tal

• "Aliit ori'shya tal'din"
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Award for 100 official invasions.
« Reply #83 on: May 23, 2020, 07:17 PM »
Everything looks amazing!!

Chris S. OM# 454 | Shonare Vhekadla Clan | VRCA #20 | Elegant Mando #66 | Desert Ops #2

Kryamla Redalur

• "Wait...how do you say your name?"
  • Awards Award for 100 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ clan level invasions 15+ invasions in 2018 Celebration Chicago
« Reply #84 on: May 23, 2020, 07:30 PM »
Looking great!

jethroskull

• “Ruug'la bal o'r te ara.”
« Reply #85 on: May 23, 2020, 11:24 PM »
After looking at some full body photos, I decided I needed something on my shins to break up the black. But I can't decide which I like better, the fur or the shin armor. I plan on kitting up tomorrow to get full body photos of each.
Both!

Improvise Adapt Overcome

A'denadiik Syngh (Jaro); desert rat, pirate
Wolves of Mandalore Clan
Cabur Akaata #183 - Grey Brigade/OT Guard #74 - F&AMM - Wrangalor #009 - MMRS #54 - QMU

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #86 on: May 25, 2020, 05:39 PM »
I actually agree with Jethro there, both is good :D. I like the shin armor much better than just the fur wraps, but if you added little bands of fur at the top and bottom of the shin plates I think it would be a nice touch.

QMU 72| M.A.B.E.L. 77| Cabur Akaata 144

blondebethel

• When it gets strange like this, it's a good thing!
« Reply #87 on: May 25, 2020, 08:39 PM »
I submitted my photos to my clan for pre-app today, but wanted to share them here too!
I actually took some yesterday but found a lot I wanted to fix. (could see the foam in the gauntlets, needed a balaclava, needed more weathering, and girth belt weirdness). Luckily I was able to make all the changes early this morning and re-took the photos by lunch time.

But here's what I got so far! I went with the fur wraps for now. I don't really want to mess up my chaps with any armor attaching method yet. But I have the shin plates just incase I ever want to switch.

I'm also starting to see peoples frustration with the blacks not showing the weathering in photos!

I need to figure out what to do with my hair under the balaclava. I tried a bun for these photos but it looks weird. I tried having the bun higher in the helmet, but the Ursa helmet model is very tight back there and I almost couldn't get the helmet off!!! Very claustrophobic for a little bit there. I think I might just braid it and shove it down into the collar.

Let me know what ya'll think!

« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 05:11 PM by blondebethel » Logged

Kryamla Redalur

• "Wait...how do you say your name?"
  • Awards Award for 100 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ clan level invasions 15+ invasions in 2018 Celebration Chicago
« Reply #88 on: May 25, 2020, 11:02 PM »
For my custom mando, I typically braid my hair and let it hang out of the back of the helmet. My hair tangled really easily so that helps prevent that lol

This kit looks really amazing, fantastic work :)

OriKad

• The Grizzled Old Sergeant of Mav Oya'la Clan
  • Awards Force Hunter Brigade Member Special Weapons 267th Rapid Assault Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions 40% increase or more
« Reply #89 on: May 26, 2020, 12:06 PM »
They're probably gonna tell you that the side buckles on the vest need to be metal-looking (a rub n buff or silver paint drybrushing would do the trick) and MAYBE to add some dirt to the plates (cause the softs are a little dirtied up and everything has to be the same level).  Other than that you look good to go on CRLs.

I really really like the fade you did on the cape and loincloth!  It's beautiful!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!