Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

RC-3141's Weapon WIP Thread

• 23 Replies

RC-3141

• Probably putting off post-processing my 3D prints
RC-3141's Weapon WIP Thread
« on: Dec 29, 2019, 12:14 PM »
Hello,
I have a Hasbro DC-15 that I am looking to mod to be up to the CRLs. I'm looking it dismantling it, taking out interior workings, filling screw holes and attachment holes, and then painting/weathering it. Is this the correct setup for the DC-15 rifle? It looks like I may have to adjust the top part of the end of the barrel to match what is seen in the movies/TV shows.

« Last Edit: Dec 31, 2019, 11:56 AM by RC-3141 » Logged
Weapons WIP Thread
Armor WIP Thread
Soft Goods WIP Thread

"Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one receives the prize? Run in such a way as to take the prize." 1 Corinthians 9:24

RC-3141

Re: Hasbro DC-15 Modifications Needed
« Reply #1 on: Dec 31, 2019, 11:55 AM »
(Updating this to be my Weapons WIP Thread)
3D printed a DC-17 pistol using April Storm's Thingiverse model https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:85569. Started out heavy on the print lines, sanded it down and used Rustoleum Primer-Filler based on suggestions on 3D printer forums. Currently waiting for the current coat of black paint to dry.

Fresh off the printer (minus supports)

After priming. The filler in the primer did less to fill in the print lines than I thought it would (this is after 3 coats of primer), next time I'm probably going to do a bit more sanding before priming so that the print lines are less of an issue.

After sanding. Most of the print lines are gone now

Weapons WIP Thread
Armor WIP Thread
Soft Goods WIP Thread

"Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one receives the prize? Run in such a way as to take the prize." 1 Corinthians 9:24

RC-3141

Re: RC-3141's Weapon WIP Thread
« Reply #2 on: Jan 02, 2020, 03:04 PM »
Painted DC-17 with Rustoleum Flat Black spray paint, then weathered with sandpaper. Washed, dried, and spraying a clear coat on now.

Weapons WIP Thread
Armor WIP Thread
Soft Goods WIP Thread

RC-3141

« Reply #3 on: Feb 01, 2020, 07:54 PM »
I decided that the DC-15 would be too much work to turn into a primary weapon (it's too small and is not actually completely DC-15), so I went for the Westar Carbine seen used by Death Watch. I printed it from a file by someone in the forums (can't remember who) that I found on Thingiverse. I cut this and printed it, drilled a hole in the two cuts (should've taken a picture but didn't) and glued it all with super glue (and then gorilla glue when I ran out of super glue). This also marked my first use of my dremel tool, which I wasn't super impressed with for detail sanding

Before and after sanding on this part that had some print drooping (accidentally only supported the part on the build plate)

Assembled

Applying Primer

Weapons WIP Thread
Armor WIP Thread
Soft Goods WIP Thread

Anansi

• Ratiin Am Jate'Kara
  • Awards Donated one quarter of 2023. Award for 10 official invasions. Special Weapons 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
« Reply #4 on: Feb 01, 2020, 11:29 PM »
Excellent work on the prints. I think you made the right decision on the DC-15. It is scaled a little small, for younger hands, although you *could* reason it was a variant made for smaller races...no nevermind, forget I said that. The Westar Carbine is looking great and it's a much better fit. Your 17s came out really well too.

May Hod Ha'ran guide my tongue, may Kad Ha'rangir guide my gun, and may Arasuum guide you to your final slumber.

MMCC #2010 - Nevik Marev
Cabur Akaata Member 139 | O.S.B.A. 007
Gunslinger - Special Weapons Brigade
Anansi's Longstrike Carbine
Another Anansi Nerf Mod
Anansi's Armor WIP

RC-3141

« Reply #5 on: Feb 02, 2020, 10:25 AM »
Primered annnddd it looks like I have to sand it. Again.
I'll probably be hand painting this one and possibly experimenting with blackwashing it or similar process, I believe the concept art said that the effect on it was a brushed steel look.

Weapons WIP Thread
Armor WIP Thread
Soft Goods WIP Thread

Anansi

• Ratiin Am Jate'Kara
  • Awards Donated one quarter of 2023. Award for 10 official invasions. Special Weapons 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
« Reply #6 on: Feb 02, 2020, 03:54 PM »
It's always a pain in the shebse. You can also use a little bondo spot putty to help fill in some of the lines.

May Hod Ha'ran guide my tongue, may Kad Ha'rangir guide my gun, and may Arasuum guide you to your final slumber.

MMCC #2010 - Nevik Marev
Another Anansi Nerf Mod
Anansi's Armor WIP

RC-3141

« Reply #7 on: Feb 15, 2020, 06:37 PM »
It's been two weeks, here's an update:
Got some bondo spot putty, worked out rather nicely and I actually kinda like the red. If I wasn't already somewhat committed to blue, I might have kept it red.

Got to painting it, the gray paint is actually a bit more silver than I thought, but it seems to be working out ok

A couple reference photos for coloration:
https://imgur.com/3gAbrcH
https://imgur.com/eWbTPka

More painted progress pictures:

Masked for painting the darker portions:

Thought I'd try experimenting with toothpaste for this second layer of paint on this one:

And it's drying right now:

I've definitely learned a lot in the hours I've spent working on this print, and after some careful examination I figured out that print lines come back not because the outside surface isn't smooth, but because the various layers start to poke through in various thicknesses which makes the print lines more visible than when the piece came out of the printer.

Weapons WIP Thread
Armor WIP Thread
Soft Goods WIP Thread

Anansi

• Ratiin Am Jate'Kara
« Reply #8 on: Feb 16, 2020, 02:58 PM »
Print lines are such a challenge. I hope you're able to get them filled in, otherwise, a few more rounds of primer and light sanding in between can work wonders.

MMCC #2010 - Nevik Marev
Another Anansi Nerf Mod
Anansi's Armor WIP

RC-3141

« Reply #9 on: Feb 27, 2020, 06:02 PM »
After my last post, I decided to try to rinse off the paint over the toothpaste I had put down. This resulted in the acrylic washing off at the end of the gun, and my being completely done for the day.

Fast forward to the next week, I finish up the gun after having painted over the areas that washed off.

I then tried blackwashing it with acrylic mixed with water, and whaddya know, water and acrylic don't mix.

tl;dr: Don't let acrylic touch water

Uncertain on whether I want to completely remove the paint at this point, put down some more primer, and try again, or attempt to clean up and paint over the errors in this piece. I don't think that the spot putty underneath looks like weathering or scratched off paint, so I do believe I'll be covering that up better.

Weapons WIP Thread
Armor WIP Thread
Soft Goods WIP Thread

Anansi

• Ratiin Am Jate'Kara
« Reply #10 on: Feb 28, 2020, 09:03 AM »
You *should* be able to use acrylic and water just fine as long as the layer below has cured. In this weather, that might take a little longer than expected.

MMCC #2010 - Nevik Marev
Another Anansi Nerf Mod
Anansi's Armor WIP

RC-3141

« Reply #11 on: Feb 28, 2020, 07:33 PM »
Now that it should be dry, I'm going to test it to see if the paint will rub off with water, if it doesn't I'll do some light sanding and touch up the paint job, otherwise I'll probably be trying to get all of the paint off, primer it again, and possibly do the base layer in spray paint before applying the darker paint second.

Update:

The cheap acrylic is not very water resistant. I'll be sanding down what I can and repainting, but the non-water-resistant nature of this has given me some weathering ideas that I might explore.

« Last Edit: Feb 29, 2020, 11:48 AM by RC-3141 » Logged
Weapons WIP Thread
Armor WIP Thread
Soft Goods WIP Thread

RC-3141

« Reply #12 on: Mar 19, 2020, 05:41 PM »
Repainted with rustoleum metallic spray paint (I believe it was satin nickel but I can't remember) which is for sure water resistant. Blackwashed it using a roughly 1/10 paint-water mix, and then masked it and applied the darker paint. I'll be doing a bit more weathering and touching up of the bits I missed, but I'm feeling really good about how this turned out and I'll be putting some matte clear coat on it once I've wrapped up the weathering. One concern with this is that the weathering is not super consistent with the weathering on my DC-17, so I may have to revisit the DC-17, or it could be explained by the fact that the carbine may have been my given weapon that I took care of, while the DC-17 is something that I inherited or scavenged and so it was a bit beaten up.

Expect updates to my armor WIP thread soon, I got supplies (for those of you looking for sintra, check at local sign stores) and should be starting on my buy'ce over the break from college.

Weapons WIP Thread
Armor WIP Thread
Soft Goods WIP Thread

RC-3141

« Reply #13 on: Aug 17, 2020, 05:38 PM »
And I'm back with more guns and a knife

First off, I reweathered this one because I didn't like how it was and there were still visible print lines, I don't currently have a picture of the finished product

PLAs brittleness made it difficult to properly weather this in gravel, I don't know that I would do that again the way I did it this time

New additions to my collection:

Working on Wood handles for a second april storm style deece (gotta have two if I have a kama)

And that's all for weapons for now, be sure to check out my other WIP threads to see related progress

Weapons WIP Thread
Armor WIP Thread
Soft Goods WIP Thread

Anansi

• Ratiin Am Jate'Kara
« Reply #14 on: Aug 17, 2020, 06:57 PM »
REALLY like that wooden grip. You definitely do have to be a little careful with PLA prints. I'd definitely keep the physical damage to a bare minimum and focus on more masking, washing and drybrushing to weather.

MMCC #2010 - Nevik Marev
Another Anansi Nerf Mod
Anansi's Armor WIP

RC-3141

« Reply #15 on: Oct 08, 2020, 06:35 PM »
And I'm back! Not 100% satisfied with this as-is (still a few evidences of printing on it), but it's passable for the time being. Check out my armor thread to see the holster I just printed for it and helmet updates

Weapons WIP Thread
Armor WIP Thread
Soft Goods WIP Thread

Anansi

• Ratiin Am Jate'Kara
« Reply #16 on: Oct 08, 2020, 07:10 PM »
Beautiful! The wooden grips really work!

MMCC #2010 - Nevik Marev
Another Anansi Nerf Mod
Anansi's Armor WIP

Cdeal

« Reply #17 on: Oct 09, 2020, 11:37 AM »
im loving the wood grips on those westars!  :like:

RC-3141

« Reply #18 on: Jul 18, 2021, 10:25 PM »
In an attempt to get myself moving again, I'm going to make the goal of:
  • Spending ~10 minutes every day on stuff for my kit, which at this point is going to look like sharpening up my CAD skills again and going at it with weapons and gauntlets
  • Making a post roughly once a week or so with updates on progress
So, in light of that, my current goal is to make a Westar Carbine variant that I'll be a bit happier with (because it's never too late to completely revise extraneous pieces of your kit), I think this will help get me back in the flow of things before I start on CADing up some new gauntletsMy goals for this Westar Carbine Variant are: (concept pics below)
  • WOOD GRIPS! WOOD GRIPS ON EVERYTHING! But specifically, designed in such a way that you can easily manufacture wood parts for it, or can use 3D printed parts
  • Design it to print in pieces that are easy to sand and have logical seam locations so that you can glue it all together with minimal work (this may be expedited by wood furniture, which would already have seam locations)
  • Add a stock and optics so that I can actually shoulder something, and place the optics farther down the barrel so I'm not bumping my visor on them all the time
This'll probably end up similar to the Rebels variant of the carbine but I think the stock on that one looks dorky and the scope looks too close to the action

And my concept art, brought to you by MS Paint 3D. I still haven't figured out how to make the stock not look dorky, but that's a work in progress, the taller DC-15 style stock would be fun but possibly difficult to shoulder with a helmet on

Weapons WIP Thread
Armor WIP Thread
Soft Goods WIP Thread

Rilal Birom

• Digur haar shupur, draar digur haar bajur.
« Reply #19 on: Jul 19, 2021, 01:42 PM »
I am LOVING those wood grips!  So beautiful!  I'm hoping to do something similar.

Cabur Akaata #217     Vode Be Vhekad #22     House Nelvaan #7    

Post-Imp WIP

Facebook
Instagram
« Reply #20 on: Jul 19, 2021, 02:12 PM »

And my concept art, brought to you by MS Paint 3D. I still haven't figured out how to make the stock not look dorky, but that's a work in progress, the taller DC-15 style stock would be fun but possibly difficult to shoulder with a helmet on

I like what you are doing with that file. I made my own carbine for fun a while back. This was a kitbash with a stock I found on thinigiverse.

RC-3141

« Reply #21 on: Jul 20, 2021, 09:30 PM »
Because there was some interest in how I do CAD, I'll post today with how I'm getting started on all of this with info to help newcomer's along. I'm thinking I'll use Solidworks for this project so I have access to the actual files, but Fusion 360 is free and a very similar experience

This is my starting concept, with cut lines added in for how I plan to split this up into pieces and areas denoted for wood work. I'll have to do some tracing and cutting

This is new ground for me in solidworks because I have to figure out how to make multiple bodies/1 assembly starting from scratch. Following some advice from a buddy, I'm going to start it as an Assembly (this isn't something Fusion users would have to deal with, you can just make new bodies in one fusion file however you like)
I don't have a good idea of how long this part should be overall, so that will also be the subject of some guesswork, but it looks like there aren't a ton of great reference images out there anyway so nobody will know if I get it wrong. It looks like the one that I printed before is about 17" long barrel crown to butt, so I'll roll with that as a starting number.Started throwing together some construction lines and other nonsense

And it's a start, ended up having to do some planning and talking with people during my time I planned to work on this

Weapons WIP Thread
Armor WIP Thread
Soft Goods WIP Thread

« Reply #22 on: Jul 21, 2021, 02:42 AM »
Want to compare notes? I 'm learning too and was also working on a carbine from scratch. Mine is shorter, but I think 17" is about right. Making it longer will be an easy fix. Honestly, looking at the screen and getting an accurate idea of the size isn't easy for me. I keep comparing it to things I have printed before so I can see it in my hand.

I also put a space in the top for a rare earth magnet so I can swap scopes out. I have scopes I like from previous builds and might as well use them.

I made a stock for it and a little forward grip. Not totally happy with it so I think I am going to make some adjustments to it. But it is a learning process.

Hit me up if you want to.

RC-3141

« Reply #23 on: Jul 21, 2021, 09:33 PM »
I was personally considering doing rails for scopes (because I hate myself and want to sand more) but I'll have to look into swarzy rail designs. I'll see if I can't find a good way to do two scopes as well  :P
Now, this is the fun part:when you start chucking dimensions on things they get angryKinda wishing there was an option to say "this line will always be to the right of this line" but I guess that's not how Solidworks likes to do things

Lesson learned from today: don't define too many things using angles, sometimes it is really better just to manually set things to dimensions
this leaves me with quite a bit to figure out about the handle, but I'm happy so far, I'll have to do LOTS of prototyping and breaking things though, I think.

Weapons WIP Thread
Armor WIP Thread
Soft Goods WIP Thread

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!