Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Brent's The Mandalorian in Full Beskar Armor WIP

• 20 Replies

yadsmood

• The tallest bounty hunter you have ever seen
Brent's The Mandalorian in Full Beskar Armor WIP
« on: Jan 01, 2020, 10:48 PM »
I am starting a build for The Mandalorian in his Beskar Armor from The Mandalorian. I know that since the first season of the show just finished, it might be a while before the CRL is up for this costume. In the mean time I thought I would start this work in progress thread to document my research and progress.

I started by somewhat arbitrarily braking down the costume into 20 parts and naming them as seen below:
  • Helmet
  • Cape
  • Shoulder Pauldrons
  • Flight Suit
  • Chest Plate
  • Bandolier
  • Rifle and Strap
  • Right Gauntlet
  • Left Gauntlet
  • Gloves with Hand Plates
  • Belt and Holster
  • Gun
  • Side Plates
  • But Plate
  • Right Upper Leg Armor
  • Left Upper Leg Armor
  • Right Knee Armor
  • Right Lower Leg Armor
  • Left Lower Leg Armor
  • Boots

Note: Some of these "parts" have multiple things in them. I broke them down/grouped them by what made sense to me.

I then have gone through the entire first season of the show and tried to take the best screenshots I could of all the parts and categorize the images into folders for their parts to create a reference library. I also gathered some reference images from other sources (like Entertainment Weekly and IGN) and added them to the reference library as well. Note I only added images to the parts folders in my reference library if they were from when The Mandalorian was wearing Full Beskar Armor (i.e. I didn't include reference from the armor he had before he got the rest of his Beskar armor in episode 3).  The reference library can be seen here.

I did start a separate folder in my reference library for the non-Beskar armor because some of the parts may be the same (which would be very nice because we have great photos from when the non-Beskar armor costume was on exhibit), but I have yet to scrutinize/compare them thoroughly. I'll be doing that comparison next.

I'd love any feedback you have and if you happen to find any good photos of parts that are not in my reference library, feel free to share it with me and I'll add it.

yadsmood

Re: Brent's The Mandalorian in Full Beskar Armor WIP
« Reply #1 on: Jan 06, 2020, 11:01 PM »
I ended up taking all the reference I could find from D23 of what I am going to call the original costume (i.e. the one from the first few episodes) and catagorized it similarly to what I did for the Beskar armor costume. It can be found here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1aHzczBDmaFaH63fzfhCDb9YT6A2Z5Auo

Now that I have a decent amount of reference I was trying to decide what to work on first. I know there are several 3D modelers working on the armor right now, so I thought it would be best to give them time to work on that, and start that armor later. That mostly leaves the soft parts and leather parts. So I decided to start on the boots.

Unfortunately I don't have a lot of good reference of the boots when he is wearing the Beskar armor as seen in my reference folder for the boots.

From what I can see, it looks like the soles of the boots match the ones identified as the ones worn in the original armor costume (i.e. Skechers Blaine Orsen Ankle Boot) as seen below:

From what detail we can see in the reference I have, it looks the same as seen below:

(Please ignore the colors on the last photo. I heavily messed with them to make the details more visible.)

This leads me to believe that it is reasonable to assume they are the same boots and that I can use the reference of the boots with the original armor as a stand in for reference of these boots until we have better reference of the costume with the Beskar armor.

With that in mind, I ordered the Skechers Blaine Orsen Ankle Boot in my size with plans to cover in leather to match the screen used ones.

Vexos

• Because we must.
  • Awards 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ clan level invasions 15+ invasions in 2018 150 troops Celebration Chicago
« Reply #2 on: Jan 06, 2020, 11:47 PM »
Commenting to follow your build. Good job documenting everything so far, keep it up!

Official Invasions: 260
Official Member #1132
Force Hunter/ Brigade Member #291
Manda'galaar Clan

Erio J'uni

• Trust me. All you are to me is a paycheck!
  • Awards Award for 75 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ clan level invasions 15+ invasions in 2018 Celebration Chicago
« Reply #3 on: Jan 07, 2020, 02:08 AM »
Following.  You've done a great job gathering references.  Don't forget the back plate.  Even though we don't see it 98% of the time it will still be required when the CRLs drop.

MMCC #899 | B.O.M.B. #1 - The Bomb'alor | M.A.J.I.C. #132 | K.O.M.S. #17 | B.O.O.M. #11 | The IT-Mando Society #11 | Grey Brigade #59

Kryamla Redalur

• "Wait...how do you say your name?"
  • Awards Award for 100 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ clan level invasions 15+ invasions in 2018 Celebration Chicago
« Reply #4 on: Jan 07, 2020, 02:46 PM »
Commenting to follow :)

Manda'galaar Clan || MMCC #1278
Custom Armor WIP - Bo-Katan WIP - Bo-Katan Brigade WIP
Bounty hunting is a complicated profession...

yadsmood

« Reply #5 on: Jan 10, 2020, 10:56 PM »
@ Erio J'uni: Thanks for the info, but also boo about having to make a costume piece that will never be seen. haha oh well.

Some Updates:

I REALLY don't want to sew the gloves because of how small the tolerances are when sewing gloves and because they are leather, and leather is not forgiving when it comes to sewing. I ended up ordering these gloves: https://www.etsy.com/listing/750105172/mandalorian-inspired-leather-gloves?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=the+mandalorian+gloves&ref=sr_gallery-1-1&organic_search_click=1&bes=1

They aren't 100% perfect but according to the description, they are fixing the few things that I saw as needing fixing (mostly just the length of the black part of the thumb which even if they didn't, I could just do myself).

As for hand plates that go on the gloves, while I am pretty sure most of the 3D modelers have really accurate versions of these, a lot of them have them as part of armor packs so I am going to wait until I buy the rest of the 3D models for the armor to buy/work on these.

I got my boots but had to send them back because they ran large. I now have the boots in the right size and they fit well.

I decided that one of the biggest blockers for me to start working on a lot of the rest of the costume is the flight suit so I decided to put the boots on hold for a little while to focus on the flight suit.

« Reply #6 on: Jan 10, 2020, 11:59 PM »
Thanks for putting together this awesome reference guide.  At the moment, I'm trying to figure out the vambraces.  Whistling Birds are on the Left and the Flamethrower is on the Right, correct?

Any thoughts on the LED on the flamethrower bracer?

Kryamla Redalur

• Awards Award for 100 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ clan level invasions 15+ invasions in 2018 Celebration Chicago
« Reply #7 on: Jan 11, 2020, 04:06 AM »
Yay progress! I donít blame you for buying gloves, they are not easy to make!

What material are you thinking for the flightsuit?

yadsmood

« Reply #8 on: Jan 11, 2020, 11:44 AM »
@ LaughingRaptor
Unfortunately, if you watch episode 3 and 4, you can notice that he uses the flamethrower on his left arm in episode 3 during his fight with stormtroopers and then the whistling birds also on his left arm when he is again fighting stormtroopers. Then in episode 4 in his fight with Cara Dune he uses the flamethrower on his right arm.  So either he has flamethrowers on both arms or they cheated one of the flamethrower shots for filming reasons.

If you are talking about the red display closest to his elbow on the right bracer, there are people on Facebook who have figured out that it displays text from the Mandalorian language. I canít find the exact thread but here is a photo that supports the idea:

And here is a link the to the Mandalorian alphabet: https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Mandalorian_(writing_system)/Legends?file=Mandalorian_map_%281%29.png

One person on Facebook in one of the Mandalorian groups even has already built out his and has put up a tutorial on how to do it:
https://github.com/breazile/mandoputer?fbclid=IwAR0pozgEMuygrrNFDjdmLmjKLVonaWbbs8vAuIkLskKpI3K0fmOjYa00Nmo

If you scroll down to the bottom of that page you can see the final product.

@ Kryamla Redalur
A lot of people on Facebook are suggesting duck cloth, saying that after a few washes it is a lot softer and will work well. I am a bit skeptical, but I am going down to the fashion district today to get a lot of $1 test fabric because I ran out and and would like to start patterning out the flight suit. Iíll also be keeping an eye out for what could work for any of the soft costume parts including the flight suit fabric. I might also swing by Joanns to look at their duck cloth and see if they have anything I want to use.

« Last Edit: Jan 12, 2020, 05:46 PM by yadsmood » Logged

Kryamla Redalur

« Reply #9 on: Jan 11, 2020, 03:41 PM »
Yeah duck cloth does soften up with washing and use! My custom mando vest is duck cloth and itís much softer now than when I first commissioned it! But I imagine some sort of cotton twill would work too if youíre not feeling duck cloth!

« Reply #10 on: Jan 11, 2020, 05:45 PM »
@ LaughingRaptor
Unfortunately, if you watch episode 3 and 4, you can notice that he uses the flamethrower on his left arm in episode 3 during his fight with stormtroopers and then the whistling birds also on his left arm when he is again fighting stormtroopers. Then in episode 4 in his fight with Cara Dune he uses the flamethrower on his right arm.  So either he has flamethrowers on both arms or they cheated one of the flamethrower shots for filming reasons.

If you are talking about the red display closest to his elbow on the right bracer, there are people on Facebook who have figured out that it displays text from the Mandalorian language. I canít find the exact thread but here is a photo that supports the idea:

And here is a link the to the Mandalorian alphabet: https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Mandalorian_(writing_system)/Legends?file=Mandalorian_map_%281%29.png

One person on Facebook in one of the Mandalorian groups even has already built out his and has put up a tutorial on how to do it:
https://github.com/breazile/mandoputer?fbclid=IwAR0pozgEMuygrrNFDjdmLmjKLVonaWbbs8vAuIkLskKpI3K0fmOjYa00Nmo

If you scroll down to the bottom of that page you can see the final product.

@ Kryamla Redalur
A lot of people on Facebook are suggesting duck cloth, saying that after a few washes it is a lot softer and will work well. I am a bit skeptical, but I am going down to the fashion district today to get a lot of $1 test fabric because I ran out and and would like to start patterning out the flight suit. Iíll also be keeping an eye out for what could work for any of the soft costume parts including the flight suit fabric. I might also swing by Joanns to look at their duck cloth and see if they have anything I want to use.

Thanks!  I'm in that group and the gentleman there responded to my post with that.  It's going to be interesting to build, and I have to edit the STL I have for the vambraces, but both are skills I intend to pick up anyway...

yadsmood

« Reply #11 on: Jan 12, 2020, 04:04 PM »
I am going to start off this post by saying, I now hate the color of this flight suit. It is an odd color between brown, purple, and grey and it seems to slightly change per scene. It is probably because of the color grading and lighting but still. It is making it an interesting time trying to decide on a matching fabric.

In any case, I had an interesting time in the fashion district, I went through about 90% of the fabric stores there. I found really good options of fabric for the original flight suit but not the beskar armor flight suit. I did pick up 17 yards of test fabric for $1 a yard so that was a success. On the way home, I stopped at Mood Fabrics which I had never been to before and I like the store a lot. They had A LOT of fabric and it was well categorized. I found what I thought was pretty good option in their cotton canvas/duck section:

I think it has a nice weight and drape. It was somewhere around $14-16 a yard with a width of 60". The only drawback, and this kills me, is that the other side of the fabric has glitter on it.  :( As far as I can tell, the glitter wouldn't rub off when I rubbed it... but ... yeah ... glitter... *sigh*

They also had a good wool section that I found some really good fabric for the cape at... $30 a yard. *sigh* This is not going to be a cheap costume.

And here is a nice well lit shot of both the flight suit and the cape for comparison:

I was going to start working on drafting the flight suit pattern but after looking at all the reference I have, I am hesitant to do so. I believe, like many others, that the flight suit is the exact same pattern with the exact same topstitching as the original one, except it is a different color. I don't have enough reference to prove that. I can prove that many of the details are the same but not all of them. I also have not found any evidence yet that that disproves this belief. For the day, I have decided to put that aside.

One of the things I have realized recently is that I have a lot of 3D printing I need to do before celebration for this project and other projects I have going on, so I really need to start some of that sooner rather than later. One armor part that I will be 3D printing that does have a HUGE amount of reference and is the same, as far as I can tell, between both versions of the armor, is the helmet. I think people have had enough time to model it accurately so I decided to start looking for an accurate one to print. Of the couple I have compared this is the one that I have liked the most:

Here is the link to it: https://www.myminifactory.com/object/3d-print-mandalorian-helmet-v2-106137

I have overlaid photos of the actual helmet with this one and it is really accurate as far as I can tell. I would love others opinions because I REALLY don't want to have to make multiple helmets if I can avoid it.

« Last Edit: Jan 12, 2020, 05:50 PM by yadsmood » Logged
« Reply #12 on: Jan 12, 2020, 05:25 PM »
I've also been studying the flight suit (and cape) and am finding it frustrating how much the color changes between sources.

Official costume showing a weathered/sandy olive green:

Official costume again but leaning way more towards plain olive green:

Official costume in different lighting (flash?) looking more gray-green:

Episode 4, dark ruddy olive:

Episode 5, totally charcoal gray:

Episode 5, totally brown??:

Promo pic, dark brown (and so is his cape):

Another promo pic, again dark brown:

Episode 6, more dark brown:

So between all these sources I'm having a hell of a time deciding what color both the flight suit and cape are. The promo CRL says the flight suit is off gray and the cloak is black but that seems to be true only some of the time for the flight suit, and the cape is never black but rather gray or brown. Surely he didn't change his flight suit or cape between pre-beskar and beskar armor. But if he didn't, how can lighting account for such drastic changes in color between the official costume and the episodes?

Also just a heads up yadsmood, your google linked pictures aren't showing up.

« Last Edit: Jan 12, 2020, 05:29 PM by Ulrezaj » Logged

Erio J'uni

• Trust me. All you are to me is a paycheck!
  • Awards Award for 75 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ clan level invasions 15+ invasions in 2018 Celebration Chicago
« Reply #13 on: Jan 12, 2020, 05:29 PM »
Check the photos from D23.  Those will have the most natural ambient light and will.probably show the closest to the actual color you'll find.

MMCC #899 | B.O.M.B. #1 - The Bomb'alor | M.A.J.I.C. #132 | K.O.M.S. #17 | B.O.O.M. #11 | The IT-Mando Society #11 | Grey Brigade #59

yadsmood

« Reply #14 on: Jan 12, 2020, 06:22 PM »
@ Ulrezaj

First, thanks for pointing out the missing photos. It's weird because they show up for me correctly. In any case, I uploaded them to flickr instead and fixed the links. They should be working now. If they aren't, let me know. But, back to the costume.

I agree with Erio J'uni. If I was doing the costume from the first 3 episodes that was displayed at D23 (what I call the original costume), I would use the D23 pictures as the "truth" on what the color is. There are enough unfiltered/unedited photos of it that I think it is possible to get something really close to the original fabric.

If you are like me and are doing the costume with full Beskar armor that is introduced late in episode 3 and is worn for the rest of the season, we don't have unaltered close photos so we can't be sure. Though, in my opinion, what reference I have  strongly suggests the colors between the flight suits of the two costumes are different. And as to your comment "Surely he didn't change his flight suit or cape between pre-beskar and beskar armor," while I understand why you would think that, I work in the film industry and trust me when I say something like that is not uncommon. I personally don't think the cape changed color but if I had to guess why they would do any color change to his costume, it is most likely because that is a huge moment in the season where he makes the choice to "do the right thing" and save the baby yoda. That internal change in a character often is represented outwardly in movies through a costume change.

Also, what promo CRL are you referring to? I haven't seen one posted but since I am new to this club I might have missed it.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!