Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Brent's The Mandalorian in Full Beskar Armor WIP

• 23 Replies

Kryamla Redalur

• "Wait...how do you say your name?"
  • Awards Award for 100 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ clan level invasions 15+ invasions in 2018 Celebration Chicago
Re: Brent's The Mandalorian in Full Beskar Armor WIP
« Reply #15 on: Jan 12, 2020, 07:26 PM »
I think this is the one! I believe it Is the pre beskar armor.

http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=177589.0

« Reply #16 on: Jan 12, 2020, 08:35 PM »
@yadsmood

If we go by the assumption that for whatever film reasons they did change his flight suit and cloak after episode 3, I would then be inclined to say that the "correct" color is dark brown for both his flight suit and cape, just because that's the color that it appears on screen the majority of the time.

« Reply #17 on: Feb 05, 2020, 09:50 AM »
With all the effort and dedication to authenticity that this group promotes, I can’t help to wonder if the costume makers/designers for the actual show might simply help by releasing some key, important information to help keep all those Mandos looking proper.

Even just releasing the flightsuit fabric used for the show would be tremendously helpful, and certainly couldn’t damage the show at all. Has anyone from Mandalorian Mercs ever approached the show’s costume designer with such a request?

Something else just occurred to me. Why wouldn't Din Djarin have many flightsuits to wear under his armor? Surely in the Star Wars universe people had changes of clothes to wear while one flightsuit was at the local dry cleaners or during laundry day? Maybe the producers/writers/costumers made a brown, a charcoal and a sage green flightsuit? It presents a continuity issue, certainly, for the show, but it kind of makes sense to me that there might easily be differently colored ones.

If I find a shirt that I like and it fits me well, I'll usually buy every color of that shirt on the rack. I can see Din Djarin doing the same at his local "Mandalorian Men's Warehouse".

« Last Edit: Feb 05, 2020, 11:15 AM by BearCubsTeacher » Logged

yadsmood

• The tallest bounty hunter you have ever seen
« Reply #18 on: Feb 05, 2020, 11:55 AM »
Has anyone from Mandalorian Mercs ever approached the show’s costume designer with such a request?

That is a good idea that I have unfortunately already tried. I have had some friends in the past be fortunate enough to get replies from costume designers on costume related questions so I thought to do the same. I looked up the costume designer for the show (Joseph Porro) and the only social media I could find him on was instagram. I direct messaged him saying that I really enjoyed his work on the Mandalorian and asked if the full beskar version of the flightsuit was the same pattern with the same details as the pre-beskar flightsuit. Unfortunately I didn't get an answer. But I totally understand him not answering. He has nothing to gain from answering and could only get in trouble from doing it.

Something else just occurred to me. Why wouldn't Din Djarin have many flightsuits to wear under his armor? Surely in the Star Wars universe people had changes of clothes to wear while one flightsuit was at the local dry cleaners or during laundry day? Maybe the producers/writers/costumers made a brown, a charcoal and a sage green flightsuit? It presents a continuity issue, certainly, for the show, but it kind of makes sense to me that there might easily be differently colored ones.

If I find a shirt that I like and it fits me well, I'll usually buy every color of that shirt on the rack. I can see Din Djarin doing the same at his local "Mandalorian Men's Warehouse".

While I can see how you would think that, I have a different opinion. Making these TV shows is expensive. For every costume they make for the main character, they generally have to do at least in triplicate: one as the hero one worn by the main actor, one worn by their stunt double, and one backup. Having multiple different versions of the flight suits in different colors would get expensive and from what I heard, even though Disney has lots of money, this show was on a tight budget.  I believe that most costume changes that you see in movies, especially in fantasy/science fiction where most of the clothing has to be custom made, generally have a purpose that is plot or character driven. I am having a hard time coming up with plot or character driven reasons why the Mandalorian would need to change his flightsuit between most of the episodes. It is more likely to me that these are all the same under different lighting conditions and/or color grading.

Some updates on my progress, I have been struggling with my 3d printer and the enclosure that I built for it for the last two weeks. I have some more modifications to do but I finally got it printing again and will have more parts to show soon. I did go to a build day with my local chapter and got a lot of sanding and filling done on my hand plates. I'll try to show their progress in a future post. I also acquired some tools that will help me with the rest of the costume. I bought an air compressor in order to be able to use automotive paint, primer, and filler on my hard parts. I bought a new airbrush to help me paint the finer details. I bought a hand crank leather sewing machine that will help me with all the leather parts. Lastly I bought a Elegoo Mars UV photcuring printer which should help me print all the small parts with really good detail and avoid a lot of sanding.

Kryamla Redalur

• "Wait...how do you say your name?"
  • Awards Award for 100 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ clan level invasions 15+ invasions in 2018 Celebration Chicago
« Reply #19 on: Feb 05, 2020, 01:01 PM »
Can’t wait to see your progress! :D

« Reply #20 on: Feb 05, 2020, 02:35 PM »
Yadsmood,

I am VERY impressed with your dedication and acquisition of tools/knowledge to build this kit! I suspect your final kit will very closely match the show's quality and appearance.

Where are you finding your STL files for printing? I just started printing a shoulder pauldron today, but about two hours into it I realized that some important details were missing from the element. I'm learning to look for those small details in models people post online. Many seem to get proportions right, but miss very obvious details. I think I got lucky and picked a good helmet, and I'm happy with it so far, but in looking at pictures of Din Djarin, I can see some changes I would make to make the helmet even better. Oh well! Next time!

I've found a site that seems to offer quality made models, but they don't list pricing. My hunch is, based on their description, they want a lot for their STL file use. https://do3d.com/product/3d-printable-model-mandalorian-beskar-steel-armor-helmet-bounty-hunter-sensor-rifle-star-wars-print-file-format-stl/

Update: Their pricing wasn't too bad actually! All the bundles had a helmet in them, which I don't need, so I'm seeing if they can bundle what I do.

Update: I didn't like some of the detailing I saw on the above site. And when I looked at the other offerings in the digital offerings, I wasn't impressed with the quality of what I saw and fidelity of the designs. So, I'm now going to order from this Etsy designer, who really seems to pay attention to detail and gets it right, at least to my eyes. Here's the link to his website:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/GreatApeStudioArt?ref=simple-shop-header-name&listing_id=759626308
The only thing I don't like about it (but it may actually be better!) is that the models are very "thin" for the thickness of the plating for the armor. This will, of course, save filament costs when printing and weight- which is great. It may also will give me the ability to add a layer or two of reinforcing fiberglass to the underside of the components without adding too much overall thickness to them, so maybe it's a "win-win" in having them designed thinner.
Another great thing about this particular designer is he's clearly an artist, in looking at his Star Wars busts- so I trust his discerning eye for proportions and size.
And another is that he sells the parts individually. When I was looking at the earlier source, they wanted to sell bundles only and that's a lot of investment at one time for models that I may not be entirely happy about.

« Last Edit: Feb 07, 2020, 11:45 AM by BearCubsTeacher » Logged
« Reply #21 on: Jun 26, 2020, 11:44 AM »
Any updates to your kit?

I've not been able to find the Blaine Orsen 62929-CDB boots in my size. According to one rep I spoke with, they were last manufactured in 2015 and are now discontinued. However, the black version are still available in may stores online, so I ordered a pair in my size for only $54 from Walmart. :) I guess one nice thing about discontinued items is they go down in price when they don't move off the shelves. I'll be totally covering them in leather anyway, however, the soles have grey elements on them that the brown version do not- but otherwise I think they'll do fine.

So, if anyone is planning on getting the right boots, you might want to order the black version before they're all gone too!

I've been sending away for grey cotton duck samples and I'm awaiting another two today. Hard to tell which would match the color from the show the best as the lighting in different scenes makes the flightsuit appear to be anything from a purplish-grey, to mud brown, to olive drab. I guess that suggests that a grey would be best as it would likely have a broader ability to appear as different colors depending on the lighting, given its neutral color.

Right now I'm using your images (thanks!) to research gloves. Would be wonderful to find the actual black/butterscotch gloves that were used on the show.

Khorkhe Ori'tor

• Gent’alor
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Award for 25 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ invasions in 2017
« Reply #22 on: Jul 16, 2020, 09:32 AM »
Hello Vode:

These are the CRLs for version 2 of Din Djarin, it is important to follow guidelines so as not to get confused and that there are no problems when applying.:

http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=188204.0

I hope it helps you in the crafting guide as he is a Canon character that is thoroughly evaluated.

Regards,

« Reply #23 on: Jul 17, 2020, 11:41 AM »
Hello Vode:

These are the CRLs for version 2 of Din Djarin, it is important to follow guidelines so as not to get confused and that there are no problems when applying.:

http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=188204.0

I hope it helps you in the crafting guide as he is a Canon character that is thoroughly evaluated.

Regards,

Khorkhe Ori'tor, thank you. Is it possible to get advise/recommendations from any Ruus'alors before getting the kit done for the submittal app? Is that done entirely on the clan level and just through our WIP posts?

It seems it would be easier to fix a piece of armor in the earlier stages of work than to work for a while on it and have it go in the wrong direction.

If so, how does one flag down and solicit the opinions of a Ruus'alor?

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!