Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Gauntlet WIP (lots of pics)

• 3 Replies
Gauntlet WIP (lots of pics)
« on: Jan 14, 2020, 09:08 PM »
Hello!

This is my first time doing armor of any sort. Pretty happy with how it is shaping up.

Used part of the Boba gauntlet template to get a rough idea of the shape I wanted.

I used 3" PVC schedule 40 pipe and taped the templates. I was able to get both halves on one section by laying them opposing directions.

Here it is cut apart with before any shaping.

There was a bit of extra material between the 2 templates. I ground this off, didn't do it as well as I would have liked.

Used a heat gun to shape the pieces with rigid couplings. Learned it was alot tougher to get something to a small shape than to expand the shape.

after shaping

test fit.

Overall I'm pleased with it. Next step to to get the attachment system together.

I think I'd like a little more material on the top half and could probably just use the bottom half template. This way I would not have any extra material between the two halves. I'm thinking that more than likely this one will be scrapped after finish and I'll use what I learned on a fresh pair.

The shape needs to be refined more and edges/corners trimmed.

Let me know what you all think, feedback and comments welcome! Don't be too harsh, I'm new at this lol  :)

Re: Gauntlet WIP (lots of pics)
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15, 2020, 02:16 PM »
Did some thinking on this last night and made a quick sketch on my phone of changes I want.

translation of poor phone sketch: flatter top with sides that come around better and end up flat on the edge. taper outside of bottom half to allow close to flush overlap.

Since I botched the trimming and either way the new top curve would need more material, I decided to finish up the build and learn what I could.

attached straps with buttons to hold bottom half to arm.

attached buttons to top half along middle and in middle of straps. realized there was no way I'd ever be able to button the middle top one and left it off.

couple of pics of finished prototype build:

Thoughts on build:
using couplings as moulds wasn't bad, but I could probably do better using them in conjunction with pieces of pipe and strut screwed to a board to get straighter edges.
straps worked well on bottom half, not sold on attaching top with buttons. velcro or maybe even magnets might work a bit better.
still extremely happy with how it turned out, pretty excited to start on a more refined build.

« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2020, 12:34 PM »
Was supposed to go to an armor party this weekend and shape my chest. Unfortunately a storm blew out that, so I worked on this a bit instead.

Figured out the shape, curve radius, height.

Made a form with some scrap wood and pieces of pipe.

front

back

Will provide a good base to put something on top of, but feels really bare as is. Need to either reshape or make a new bottom for it.

Jahad Ruusaanyc

• "Life's a business"
« Reply #3 on: Jan 20, 2020, 01:31 PM »
    Hello Selphipie!
Looking good vod! i like how this is going.  :like:

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!