Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Dhatracyn's Ahsoka-Mando Bucket Build WIP

• 11 Replies

Dhatracyn

• Ahsoka-Mando
Dhatracyn's Ahsoka-Mando Bucket Build WIP
« on: Jan 17, 2020, 01:46 AM »
I know it's highly recommended to get a first bucket from a vendor, but I have a big head (23.5" circumference), plus I wear glasses, and I'm stubborn about doing as much as possible myself, so even when I first started working on the kit in 2017 before shelving it for a while I planned on building the helmet. I couldn't find the first helmet I bought (probably in a box somewhere), so I went with the largest skate helmet I could find. I've taken out the liner already since I'll need the extra room, I put a thin foam pad in before taking the pics so it's not sitting at the right height yet, or level, but are there any issues standing out that need to be addressed before I start actually cutting and gluing? My main concern is the height of the dome being proportionally correct, to my eye it appears it is but I don't want to get 15 steps down the line and find out I should've cut it down. Length-wise for the face I'm aiming for along the lines of Clone Wars Deathwatch or the Chimera 2.0 helmet, I'll be shortening it tonight to get it in line with where it should be. Helmet concept art also attached.

« Last Edit: Jan 17, 2020, 12:49 PM by Dhatracyn » Logged

Grimstuff

• Ayyy
Re: Dhatracyn's Ahsoka-Mando Bucket Build WIP
« Reply #1 on: Jan 17, 2020, 02:59 PM »
The height seems proportional enough as is, but yeah that mandible length seems quite excessive and will really limit head movement as is. Of course though once you shorten that it may affect how the dome looks proportionately, so it'll probably be best to really examine it once you get the faceplate exactly how you want it.

Also as a whole you may be overestimating how large of a helmet you need. Designs based off of Fett dimensions will have plenty of room in them, since they were all designed to be work with a full suspension harness rig in em. I have almost exactly the same hat size as you and I've got plenty of room inside screen-accurate helmets, though smaller designs like GMH are too small.

Also also, something that may help for just sizing and proportion reference as a whole can be to go ahead and make up a screen-size accurate Fett helm pepakura model. Not to finish, unless you want to, but just so you can have the practical thing with you in real life to compare against for various things. Reference is oh so important, especially when you can actually touch and measure it.

Also also also, aksoka best girl. Great design.

Kurshi BeJahaal

• I don't roll on Shabbos. ב"ה
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #2 on: Jan 19, 2020, 10:32 AM »
I don't think it looks too bad where your eyes are right now. Maybe if you raised the brow ridge just a little bit? Slide everything up just a little bit?

But you'll definitely want to shorten up the front of the mandibles. As stated, that may change the proportions of the dome though.

I had a lot of fun building my first helmet, so I hope you enjoy it. I've since bought a new one and modded it to fit my kit. I've got a big head too because of my dreads, but I used a Rubies Boba Helmet from Amazon for my second helmet. It fits perfect but I've barely had to pad it since it's so light too.

I'll keep an eye on this thread and try to help where I can!

MMCC #1484¦¦64 Career Invasions¦¦Rancor Clan
Helmet Scratch Build||Beskar||Privateer||Protector

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #3 on: Jan 20, 2020, 04:23 AM »
That’s a good start, I’d say you could raise the faceplate up higher even to the middle of that logo and still be good on the dome. I’d split the difference myself that way you don’t have to trim off nearly as much as I’d say the mandibles are likely about 1-2 inches longer than suitable; however Demagol in the Crusader era had quite a long set of mandibles on his helmet.

That paint mock up is gorgeous! Can’t wait to see it!

It is not who you are but the service you do for others that defines you.
QMU#084

Dhatracyn

• Ahsoka-Mando
« Reply #4 on: Jan 20, 2020, 06:05 PM »
Thanks Grim, Kurshi, and Bowfanny! All incredibly helpful advice, especially about mocking up one for size comparison. It reminded me my son's J2P was in a box (my Big Giant Head meant it ended up with my nose pressed against the visor), so that's been useful for getting the mandibles the right length. I kept the brow at the same height just to keep the reference point the same, I'll probably trim off a bit when I take off the rest of the sides though. Here's the reworked version:

Also a reworked concept to take into account the adjustments, because I didn't want to mess with it the hex pattern on the white isn't included (white metallic on matte white, most likely, haven't settled on the exact paints yet):

The orange-blue area on the earcaps is going to be a NeoPixel Stick, I'm planning on having one in each earcap, a third in the keyslot, and a NeoPixel strip for visor lights. Lots of glowy bits, and I've figured out the hardware components I'll need to have the LEDs, fans, servos, rangefinder display, audio amp, and voice amp controlled by Arduino. The Arduino Feather M0 should be powerful enough on its own to run it, and I'm planning on using the packet radio version so it'll have gauntlet controls.

Also, your vest tutorial was really handy Bowfanny, I'll probably have the test fit pics up later tonight.

Also also, Grim, Ahsoka is awesome. Looking forward to her return next month in the Siege of Mandalore arc, hopefully they include her duel with Maul that's mentioned in the Ahsoka standalone novel.

Bowfanny

• Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #5 on: Jan 20, 2020, 08:48 PM »
Glad the humor was useful!

Side note. I’m not completely current on all of my mandoa alphabet, what does all of your text say?

QMU#084

Dhatracyn

• Ahsoka-Mando
« Reply #6 on: Jan 21, 2020, 08:44 AM »
Side note. I’m not completely current on all of my mandoa alphabet, what does all of your text say?

The brow is "ibic cuyir te ara", direct translation of "this is the way" (not sure if the word order should be different, though)
The right earcap is "mando'ad draar digu" - a Mandalorian never forgets
The left earcap is "Haat, ijaa, haa'it" - truth, honor, vision
The back of the helmet is "Ne shab'rud'ni" - don't mess with me

Besides those I'll probably have more on the chest, back, and gauntlets, plus each of the weapons.

Bowfanny

« Reply #7 on: Jan 21, 2020, 01:00 PM »
Very nice! My original Vambraces had text on them as well. Can’t for the life of me remember what it said though lol

QMU#084

Kurshi BeJahaal

• Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #8 on: Jan 21, 2020, 07:08 PM »
I'm definitely a fan of Mando'a on a bucket. I put mine right on my face, prison tatt style.  :laugh:

Dhatracyn

• Ahsoka-Mando
« Reply #9 on: Jan 22, 2020, 02:46 PM »
Very nice! My original Vambraces had text on them as well. Can’t for the life of me remember what it said though lol

I was going to track down a pic try to translate it but Photobucket is crap :rolleyes:

I'm definitely a fan of Mando'a on a bucket. I put mine right on my face, prison tatt style.  :laugh:

Prison tat Mandos rock!  :like: And Cara has the starbird one too. What does yours say?

Hopefully I'll make progress on it this weekend, busy season's started at work. Got a bit done on the vest last night and I'm hoping to have trial pics of it tonight.

Bowfanny

« Reply #10 on: Jan 22, 2020, 03:10 PM »
I was going to track down a pic try to translate it but Photobucket is crap :rolleyes:
I’ve got them on my FB buried in my Mobil uploads.
I lost 3k photos to Photobucket.

QMU#084

Kurshi BeJahaal

« Reply #11 on: Jan 22, 2020, 04:40 PM »
Prison tat Mandos rock!  :like: And Cara has the starbird one too. What does yours say?

My mando'a says "Salvation"  :)

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!