Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

An Apprentices first step into Gauntlets. A WIP

• 12 Replies
An Apprentices first step into Gauntlets. A WIP
« on: Jan 18, 2020, 12:43 PM »
Hello everyone!

Since I do not have all of my soft parts to test the size of my armor printouts yet (just ordered my flak vest from K'raam Xrati (yay). I thought I would tackle a piece that did not really need the soft parts in order to size. Enter the gauntlets! I am currently working on the right gauntlet, but I am planning on mirroring them for the left as well. I am using the WOF templates, and found the following links very helpful:

Warmaster’s Workshop: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CliYqIE0eEY&t=1973s
Hinged Gauntlet Tutorial: https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=166047.0

Let me throw this caveat in here, I have NEVER worked with PVC foam, or any type of foam (unless you count Great Stuff hole fillter lol). This is all new to me and I am very much learning as I go and trying to glean as much knowledge as I can from here and other websites.

Now here is where you guys can laugh at me. By watching and reading, I didn’t get how everyone was easily getting these four parts together. Needless to say, I was even confused watching Warmaster’s video. “Oh well! I’ll be able to figure it out”. Needless to say, I cut four pieces of board for one gauntlet. After more research, I then realized that some use the WOF template  taped together and then used as a template for only two pieces out of the board to shape. Whoops!

Being the stubborn being I am. I decided to continue and see if I could use the four pieces to add ‘depth’ to the project and make a more substantial armor piece. I used 3mm pvc board for all cuts except the jigs.

I increased the size of the templates approximately 10%, which in turn on the outer shell, I had to increase the small tapered end for 5/32” and the larger end for ⅜” on the outer shell to accommodate the wrap effect.

So first I decided to cut out the jigs out of 6mm PVC foam board. Using #11 blades, this was tedious, I am glad I have a dremel showing up tomorrow.

Warmaster made using the jigs seem so easy. I tried and my finished product was not nearly as nice (I do not have pictures). On top of having to shape four pieces instead of two, everything was just out of whack.

Note: I am procedure oriented. Something about not getting killed in my career has made this ingrained. So! I had to revert back approximately two decades to use my imagination on how to get things done!

So! Off to Lowes I go looking for something I can use. I was thinking traffic cone, PVC, something! Urequa! In another life I was an apprentice carpenter, so what is tapered from small to large? Banisters and table legs! I found my anvil!

This made things so much easier, it is hard to describe. The taper once measured darn near matched my wrist to forearm, so it was easy to place the inner shell closer to the smaller taper, then the outer shell 1.5” above that taper to allow the roundness to go over the outer shell.

I’ll be updating when I get my rotary tool to sand down the edges, gluing the shells together, and adding the piano hinges when they get here. I am adding a the custom box Warmaster linked in his youtube video, in which I am going to need to figure out how I am going to ‘Mando’ it up.

Until next time!

PS. I am trying to link from an open Goggle Photo account, but it does not seem to by showing pictures. Any recommendations? the IMG tags were not working, so I had to remove them in order for the links to show up.

« Last Edit: Jan 20, 2020, 09:05 PM by Apprentice_of_Foam » Logged
Re: An Apprentices first step into Gauntlets. A WIP
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2020, 09:02 PM »
Hello everyone!

More parts came in so I was able to visualize how I wanted my piano hinges to go, and I also glued the shells together! I still have a lot of sanding to go, and maybe add an edge of scrap PVC to even out an edge or two, but for my first foray into things, I am quite happy with how things went.

I am going to need more super glue! Little bottles do not go far when I am very liberally applying it. I hope to do some sanding/finishing tomorrow so that I can attached the first piano hinge.

« Last Edit: Jan 20, 2020, 09:06 PM by Apprentice_of_Foam » Logged
« Reply #2 on: Jan 21, 2020, 09:07 PM »
Well. Got home and decided to play around somewhat.

I attached the piano hinges to both sides. I left the outside hinge permanent while the inside hinge will be my open/close in the clam shell.

I am pretty happy with my results. They'll end up in the 'use them' category even though I learned a few things. I did not account for the 1/2" that I would gain by adding the hinges. So the wide side is a bit wider than I would have liked, however, it will be very easy to add some foam to seal up and to add some friction to keep them from moving.

jett drexel

• a long time ago in a living room far far away...
« Reply #3 on: Jan 21, 2020, 09:09 PM »
your making a nice job of that so far. :like:

Kyramud Cabur

• We are born to die. We live to be remembered.
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #4 on: Jan 23, 2020, 06:52 AM »
Really nice job... Keep it going!

Kyramud Cabur
« Reply #5 on: Jan 24, 2020, 01:39 PM »
Thank you to those who gave me some positive feedback, I really appreciate it!

I had the box precut and semi-molded. I finished shaping it to what I thought was okay and attached it. I need to sand down the front cap of the box as I left it a little bigger to allow for sanding.

I will probably start working on the other one this weekend. I expect it to go much faster since I kind of know what to do after putting this one together!

« Reply #6 on: Feb 07, 2020, 03:33 PM »
Hello everyone!

Let us start this topic off with a safety moment. Use Kevlar gloves (or cut resistant gloves) when you are cutting. Also, if you are getting aggravated at cutting, walk away. After cutting through the finger nail, and 1/3 of the way into my finger two weeks ago, I now have the proper PPE to use.

With that out of the way!

I mirrored the other gauntlet, glued, filled, and sanded. 

At this point, until I figure out what type of weapons/accessories/paint scheme I will go, I am kinda done for now.

I will also be posting my WIP chest and back plates in the other form to get some cutting into 6mm PVC board.

Until next time!

Atin'la Bral

• "Live free or die."
« Reply #7 on: Feb 07, 2020, 04:54 PM »
This is really cool to see it coming together I look forward to the final pics

Clan up 2020! oops. 2021?  Covid.  2022?  Cancer... We shall keep marching, Vod!  2023!!
« Reply #8 on: Mar 01, 2020, 05:58 PM »
Hello everyone!

I keep bouncing between projects between the rest of my armor and gauntlets, but today felt like a gauntlet day. I raided Lowe's plumbing section today.

Here is my flamethrower WIP:

I plan to box it in with 3mm pvc and mount it with a spacer to my gauntlet. I will of course show pictures when done!

I plant on adding some sort of red light/flickering light to it so it can be seen down the tube:

Here are my rockets (YAY!):

A lot of work to go (I tacked them with hot glue instead of superglue):

I need more sanding, gluing, and finishing, but they are slowing coming together!

« Reply #9 on: Mar 07, 2020, 05:01 PM »
Hello!

I just keep adjusting, and changing things, but most of it is CA glued together, so no going back unless I want to completely destroy parts of my gauntlets. The darts are not yet glued in, just drilled and set in place.

I think the next item I add may be a grappling hook + spool of cable, but that may be for another day.

Thanks for stopping in!

Kurshi BeJahaal

• I don't roll on Shabbos. ב"ה
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #10 on: Mar 09, 2020, 03:06 PM »
These have turned out absolutely awesome so far! Really great job!

MMCC #1484¦¦64 Career Invasions¦¦Rancor Clan
Helmet Scratch Build||Beskar||Privateer||Protector
« Reply #11 on: Mar 09, 2020, 10:53 PM »
Wow these look amazing! Keep up the great work

Avior Braisa

• Bobble-Fett
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #12 on: Mar 30, 2020, 03:49 PM »
Those are looking really good!

Aiwha Riders Clan
OM #2296 A & B
T.P.S. #7
O.O.P.S. #67
M.A.J.I.C. #186
Q.M.U. #92 <-Hey, it rhymes!
House Nelvaan Armored Squirrel #10

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!