Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

First Build - Lots of Q - Voxe Wip

• 7 Replies

Voxe

• The Cat Mando
First Build - Lots of Q - Voxe Wip
« on: Sep 25, 2020, 11:40 PM »
Hello! I知 Q, and currently live in the San Antonio area! (Though I do frequent Spring/The Woodlands area as well :like: )

For starters, I am a long time Star Wars fan, but VERY NEW to all of this. So why not trial by fire and work on a Mando  :porg2:

I知 open to any and all advice, by all means! I値l be using this as a place to post all my kit updates, and maybe drop in some questions from time to time. I hope to see some of you around when this whole thing blows over! I would love to make more friends in the community  :cookie:

My kit is falling under the Modern style! I知 adjusting my soft pieces, so as to not lose the black armor, and it痴 proving difficult! I love a sleek look, but have been warned about having black armor on black flight suits. I知 in a pickle! Also didn稚 consider cod armor. Are those supposed to look a certain way? Like Bo? Or nah?
Black and Gold is my primary color palette!

https://ibb.co/FbYNc4H
https://ibb.co/TTZLRJW

Above is my helmet and original design! Below is some updates I知 working on to make it more personal. Vibroclaws! How will I make those? Still not sure...

Color Options

Urala

• "I'm gonna make a mock-up first..."
Re: First Build - Lots of Q - Voxe Wip
« Reply #1 on: Sep 26, 2020, 03:10 PM »
Love the art, this is going to look so cool!!!

The black and gold armor is going to be a great combo but I see what you mean in the black flight suit making it all very dark. I chose to do a brown flight suit because I too didn't want to draw away from the black parts of my kit.

I think an off-black flight suit would help the plates stand out. You could do charcoal, dark gray, or heavily weather some black fabric so it gets that muted look. Or you could choose a third color to add to the scheme and use either a super dark, almost-black shade of the color or take a black flight suit and tint/dye it slightly.

The vibro-claws sound awesome! Where did you get the idea?

Voxe

• The Cat Mando
« Reply #2 on: Oct 02, 2020, 01:31 AM »
Thank you so much! I知 thinking of going with a dark grey, but maybe making the flak vest a cream color, just to really make it pop!

I really love cats, so since I saw AotC many many years ago, I dreamed of a pet Nexu. So why not both! The vibroclaws are kind of an homage to that, along with the quills I plan to incorporate into the pouldron. Now it痴 a question of how I make them 😅

Ori Dart

• Just some random mir'sheb...
« Reply #3 on: Oct 02, 2020, 01:19 PM »
I think an off-black flight suit would help the plates stand out. You could do charcoal, dark gray, or heavily weather some black fabric so it gets that muted look. Or you could choose a third color to add to the scheme and use either a super dark, almost-black shade of the color or take a black flight suit and tint/dye it slightly.

I'd second this. Making it a slightly lighter colour and/or giving it some texture really makes a difference (matte fabric vs glossy or smooth-looking armour).

Great design so far!

Oya!

Andry         ; )
« Reply #4 on: Oct 07, 2020, 01:03 AM »
Vibroclaws! How will I make those? Still not sure...

I thought the idea of Vibroclaws sounded awesome. I did a quick mock up. I would add a power cell or something to jazz it up. And maybe take out the finger holes and make it one crescent shaped opening so it is less recognizable.

Just an FYI, I'm not stealing your idea. I'm making armor for my daughter and have already printed her blasters and vibroknuckler. I was bored and thought I would do a quick mock up to amuse myself. Looking forward to see what you come up with.

« Reply #5 on: Oct 07, 2020, 03:02 PM »
You can also have vibroclaws mounted directly to the gauntlets, like Vega from Street Fighter 2. Using LEDs, they could even glow.

« Reply #6 on: Oct 08, 2020, 11:45 AM »
You can also have vibroclaws mounted directly to the gauntlets, like Vega from Street Fighter 2. Using LEDs, they could even glow.

Or tiger style claws right on the knuckles of the gloves. That could be cool too.

« Reply #7 on: Oct 08, 2020, 12:20 PM »
Or tiger style claws right on the knuckles of the gloves. That could be cool too.

True. I thought gauntlets would be more stable. Also, glove-mounted claws can interfere with manual dexterity; I would be worried about the claws getting hung up and either getting broken or damaging the wrist.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!