Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Hydra's Armorer Build

• 31 Replies

Hydra

• Awards Leap into Action is the award for the best mid air action picture. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
Hydra's Armorer Build
« on: Jan 18, 2020, 07:18 PM »
Maybe it doesn't need to be disclosed, but of course if you haven't seen The Mandalorian TV show yet, there are bound to be spoilers in this thread.

Anyways, like many (I'm sure) - I had a "squirrel!" moment upon watching the show and knew I had to make the Armorer's kit. Am I neglecting other projects? Yes. Am I very excited? Yes. Is my completion date overly ambitious? Yes.

I plan on sewing/crafting the soft parts from scratch. Armor will be 3D printed for time conservation (and because there are so few pieces).
I will be making at least her hammer, if not the small "welding" torch she uses to attach Din's signet.

Here I've shown how I come up with proportions using a sample image. I am 5'4" or approx 162cm, using the image for scale (25cm) I can calculate the size range of her accessories.

The helmet I want to scale a little but smaller than how it sat on the actress' head in the show. What you see is a 3D scan of my noggin in the accurate dimensions of my head - that way I know exactly how big or small it needs to be when we move onto the printing process. (The base model is from Do3D, although we are modifying details/scewing some lines.)

The beginnings of the hammer! This guy will be birthed in the resin printer.

Hydra

• Awards Leap into Action is the award for the best mid air action picture. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
Re: Hydra's Armorer Build
« Reply #1 on: Jan 25, 2020, 08:32 PM »
Very lucky to have friends working on similar projects. Shawn of Thorsson & Associates Workshop sent me a bucket in exchange for a trade we had done a couple years ago and I promptly forgot about. He will be making a lot of items from The Mandalorian, please support him! https://www.tandaworkshop.com/

Not making the bucket and back/chest armor is going to save a lot of time, which is good because I may be (no, I am) aiming to have this project done by the middle of next month.

Hello there. Thank goodness she made it.

Quick proportion check with helmet and the hammer. The hammer is resin printed from the model I had posted above.

I am currently working on the flight suit and have acquired a sheepskin that I will need to dye and condition.

Aden Banto

• Out of my entire arsenal, fear is my best weapon.
« Reply #2 on: Jan 26, 2020, 08:56 AM »
That helmet is pretty awesome. How will you make the chest armor? You thinking of the 3D printed route or scratch built?

Aden  :vizsla:

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #3 on: Jan 26, 2020, 11:18 AM »
I can't wait to see more!

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Hydra

« Reply #4 on: Jan 26, 2020, 11:29 AM »
That helmet is pretty awesome. How will you make the chest armor? You thinking of the 3D printed route or scratch built?

The chest and back armor will also be provided by T&A Workshop, shoot if isn't something I have to do, I'm not going to complain. Haha.
 I am also accepting that this is v1 of this costume and I'm sure I will have plenty of items to remake once more references are available.

Aden Banto

• Out of my entire arsenal, fear is my best weapon.
« Reply #5 on: Jan 27, 2020, 12:32 AM »
Very cool! Watching with interest

Pyro

• I am the salsa verde!
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #6 on: Jan 27, 2020, 01:04 AM »
As always I eagerly await progress on your kit! :mtu: :jango: :sabine: :boba: :<3: :like:

1st OM in NM #216
TK/SL/TI -6353
Early Crusader WIP
Live Action Death Watch
Mandalorian Pilot WIP

Mark 9:23 "Everything is possible for him who believes."

Hydra

« Reply #7 on: Jan 29, 2020, 06:55 AM »
Iíve been working on the flight suit/base layer. Iím using a grey/green stretch suiting (more on that later). Some funky details to work through, so I started with the sleeves.

Even with high resolution screen grabs itís hard to see exactly whatís going on with the details. Got to hope that at some point the costume will go on display somewhere.

My guess thus far is that these are folded and top-stitched details.

I started by hot pressing my cut fabric pieces into shape. Using a temporary adhesive I fixed them to their places and sewed down using a very small margin.

Not a perfect match, but ignorance is bliss... for now, haha.

« Reply #8 on: Jan 29, 2020, 10:31 AM »
I think those look really great! Like you said, its pretty hard to figure out exactly whats going on from screengrabs. This is what we ended up doing :

We went back and forth several times on whether it was 2 or 3 layers and we still aren't sure because depending on the screen gtab we could go either way :D

Co-owner of Sionnach Studios - a design and fabrication studio for sets, costumes, and props.

Hydra

« Reply #9 on: Jan 29, 2020, 02:00 PM »
We went back and forth several times on whether it was 2 or 3 layers and we still aren't sure because depending on the screen gtab we could go either way :D

Yeah Iím not going to agonize over it until better reference comes out. Iíve had friends who worked on the show but no one that was around for her episodes!

Hydra

« Reply #10 on: Feb 02, 2020, 03:37 AM »
Quick update on the base layer.

I used a polyester/spandex suiting blend in more of a green color. I intend to do some dying/airbrushing towards the end of the project to bring the vivid tone down a little bit more.

Started with McCall's M2054 as a base, with a lot of modifications. At 5'4", average build, the small was still considerably baggy, If anyone decides to give this pattern a go, I  recommend mocking this pattern to dial it in.

Again, addressing the lack reference material for the armorer, I'm going to try my best with the details, as how they can be interpreted from grainy/dark screen grabs.

Like, what on earth is going on with her pant legs?

I believe there's some kind of spacer on the outside seam of the pant leg? Beats me. Blame it on the v1 iteration.

Flightsuit v1

Pant... leg... opening detail? Haha.

I also replaced the inside double sleeve with wicking performance wear fabric for a little airflow.

Kryamla Redalur

• "Wait...how do you say your name?"
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ invasions in 2018 Award for 100 official invasions. Celebration Chicago
« Reply #11 on: Feb 02, 2020, 09:37 PM »
Thatís looking really great!

Hydra

« Reply #12 on: Feb 04, 2020, 10:33 PM »
Thatís looking really great!

Thank you! Trying to go fast, but at least make the outside look nice.  :like:

Hydra

« Reply #13 on: Feb 04, 2020, 10:34 PM »
Tonight I made a balaclava and neck seal. Glimpses of her neck seal are even more limited than other details. (The helmet is huge on Emilyís head, lol.)

From what Iím assuming, it looks like production cranked out a ton of these in the same style. I thought it looked like Dinís grey color, so that the shade I went with.

For the balaclava I followed the Rebelís style, first mocking it out in tape.

The neckseal was whipped up from pattern by SionnachStudios.

The grey fabric is a cotton/spandex blend, the black is a thin activewear blend.

Hydra

« Reply #14 on: Feb 08, 2020, 06:50 PM »
Ah, yes. My first speed bump on this build.

Upon seeing how much some builders have been spending on their sheepskins (~$100 USD and up) for her fur cape so far. I thought, thereís got to be a better way to get something accurate.

I acquired a small sheepskin from my local IKEA. ($30.00)

The unsuspecting pelt.

Having worked with faux fur and a few applications of real fur, I know that the protein fibers of the fur need an appropriate dye application, like hair dye.

The store had these guys on sale for $3.00 a box.

In theory this worked, but sheepskin has a lot of fleece down on the nape, the dye wasnít enough to penetrate all the way down.

Please note that if you apply water to any kind of animal hide, itís important to keep the leather conditioned, or you will end up with a furry frisbee.

The fleece.

I plan to solve this by first combing and airbrushing to coat the fibers, then finishing with a rit dye bath to tint the left over fleece and skin.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!