Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Hydra's Armorer Build

• 39 Replies

Hydra

• Awards Leap into Action is the award for the best mid air action picture. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
Hydra's Armorer Build
« on: Jan 18, 2020, 07:18 PM »
Maybe it doesn't need to be disclosed, but of course if you haven't seen The Mandalorian TV show yet, there are bound to be spoilers in this thread.

Anyways, like many (I'm sure) - I had a "squirrel!" moment upon watching the show and knew I had to make the Armorer's kit. Am I neglecting other projects? Yes. Am I very excited? Yes. Is my completion date overly ambitious? Yes.

I plan on sewing/crafting the soft parts from scratch. Armor will be 3D printed for time conservation (and because there are so few pieces).
I will be making at least her hammer, if not the small "welding" torch she uses to attach Din's signet.

Here I've shown how I come up with proportions using a sample image. I am 5'4" or approx 162cm, using the image for scale (25cm) I can calculate the size range of her accessories.

The helmet I want to scale a little but smaller than how it sat on the actress' head in the show. What you see is a 3D scan of my noggin in the accurate dimensions of my head - that way I know exactly how big or small it needs to be when we move onto the printing process. (The base model is from Do3D, although we are modifying details/scewing some lines.)

The beginnings of the hammer! This guy will be birthed in the resin printer.

Hydra

• Awards Leap into Action is the award for the best mid air action picture. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
Re: Hydra's Armorer Build
« Reply #1 on: Jan 25, 2020, 08:32 PM »
Very lucky to have friends working on similar projects. Shawn of Thorsson & Associates Workshop sent me a bucket in exchange for a trade we had done a couple years ago and I promptly forgot about. He will be making a lot of items from The Mandalorian, please support him! https://www.tandaworkshop.com/

Not making the bucket and back/chest armor is going to save a lot of time, which is good because I may be (no, I am) aiming to have this project done by the middle of next month.

Hello there. Thank goodness she made it.

Quick proportion check with helmet and the hammer. The hammer is resin printed from the model I had posted above.

I am currently working on the flight suit and have acquired a sheepskin that I will need to dye and condition.

« Reply #2 on: Jan 26, 2020, 08:56 AM »
That helmet is pretty awesome. How will you make the chest armor? You thinking of the 3D printed route or scratch built?

Aden  :vizsla:

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #3 on: Jan 26, 2020, 11:18 AM »
I can't wait to see more!

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Hydra

« Reply #4 on: Jan 26, 2020, 11:29 AM »
That helmet is pretty awesome. How will you make the chest armor? You thinking of the 3D printed route or scratch built?

The chest and back armor will also be provided by T&A Workshop, shoot if isn't something I have to do, I'm not going to complain. Haha.
 I am also accepting that this is v1 of this costume and I'm sure I will have plenty of items to remake once more references are available.

« Reply #5 on: Jan 27, 2020, 12:32 AM »
Very cool! Watching with interest

Pyro

• I am the salsa verde!
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #6 on: Jan 27, 2020, 01:04 AM »
As always I eagerly await progress on your kit! :mtu: :jango: :sabine: :boba: :<3: :like:

Jedi Hunter WIP I Daimyo Boba WIP I Early Crusader WIP

I'm a Texan and Mandalorian, firearms are part of my religion

Hydra

« Reply #7 on: Jan 29, 2020, 06:55 AM »
I’ve been working on the flight suit/base layer. I’m using a grey/green stretch suiting (more on that later). Some funky details to work through, so I started with the sleeves.

Even with high resolution screen grabs it’s hard to see exactly what’s going on with the details. Got to hope that at some point the costume will go on display somewhere.

My guess thus far is that these are folded and top-stitched details.

I started by hot pressing my cut fabric pieces into shape. Using a temporary adhesive I fixed them to their places and sewed down using a very small margin.

Not a perfect match, but ignorance is bliss... for now, haha.

Billythebrick

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
« Reply #8 on: Jan 29, 2020, 10:31 AM »
I think those look really great! Like you said, its pretty hard to figure out exactly whats going on from screengrabs. This is what we ended up doing :

We went back and forth several times on whether it was 2 or 3 layers and we still aren't sure because depending on the screen gtab we could go either way :D

Co-owner of Sionnach Studios - a design and fabrication studio for sets, costumes, and props. Checkout our YouTube Channel for tutorials and build videos or our site for our portfolio, shop, and more!

Hydra

« Reply #9 on: Jan 29, 2020, 02:00 PM »
We went back and forth several times on whether it was 2 or 3 layers and we still aren't sure because depending on the screen gtab we could go either way :D

Yeah I’m not going to agonize over it until better reference comes out. I’ve had friends who worked on the show but no one that was around for her episodes!

Hydra

« Reply #10 on: Feb 02, 2020, 03:37 AM »
Quick update on the base layer.

I used a polyester/spandex suiting blend in more of a green color. I intend to do some dying/airbrushing towards the end of the project to bring the vivid tone down a little bit more.

Started with McCall's M2054 as a base, with a lot of modifications. At 5'4", average build, the small was still considerably baggy, If anyone decides to give this pattern a go, I  recommend mocking this pattern to dial it in.

Again, addressing the lack reference material for the armorer, I'm going to try my best with the details, as how they can be interpreted from grainy/dark screen grabs.

Like, what on earth is going on with her pant legs?

I believe there's some kind of spacer on the outside seam of the pant leg? Beats me. Blame it on the v1 iteration.

Flightsuit v1

Pant... leg... opening detail? Haha.

I also replaced the inside double sleeve with wicking performance wear fabric for a little airflow.

Kryamla Redalur

• "Wait...how do you say your name?"
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 100 official invasions.
« Reply #11 on: Feb 02, 2020, 09:37 PM »
That’s looking really great!

Manda'galaar Clan || MMCC #1278
Bo-Katan WIP - Bo-Katan Brigade WIP
- S7 Bo-Katan WIP

Hydra

« Reply #12 on: Feb 04, 2020, 10:33 PM »
That’s looking really great!

Thank you! Trying to go fast, but at least make the outside look nice.  :like:

Hydra

« Reply #13 on: Feb 04, 2020, 10:34 PM »
Tonight I made a balaclava and neck seal. Glimpses of her neck seal are even more limited than other details. (The helmet is huge on Emily’s head, lol.)

From what I’m assuming, it looks like production cranked out a ton of these in the same style. I thought it looked like Din’s grey color, so that the shade I went with.

For the balaclava I followed the Rebel’s style, first mocking it out in tape.

The neckseal was whipped up from pattern by SionnachStudios.

The grey fabric is a cotton/spandex blend, the black is a thin activewear blend.

Hydra

« Reply #14 on: Feb 08, 2020, 06:50 PM »
Ah, yes. My first speed bump on this build.

Upon seeing how much some builders have been spending on their sheepskins (~$100 USD and up) for her fur cape so far. I thought, there’s got to be a better way to get something accurate.

I acquired a small sheepskin from my local IKEA. ($30.00)

The unsuspecting pelt.

Having worked with faux fur and a few applications of real fur, I know that the protein fibers of the fur need an appropriate dye application, like hair dye.

The store had these guys on sale for $3.00 a box.

In theory this worked, but sheepskin has a lot of fleece down on the nape, the dye wasn’t enough to penetrate all the way down.

Please note that if you apply water to any kind of animal hide, it’s important to keep the leather conditioned, or you will end up with a furry frisbee.

The fleece.

I plan to solve this by first combing and airbrushing to coat the fibers, then finishing with a rit dye bath to tint the left over fleece and skin.

Kryamla Redalur

• "Wait...how do you say your name?"
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 100 official invasions.
« Reply #15 on: Feb 08, 2020, 07:25 PM »
The balaclava looks great!

Good luck with the rug conversion! I had thought about doing something similar (when I get around to this build lol) by purchasing a rug from ikea! :D super curious to see how it all turns out :)

Manda'galaar Clan || MMCC #1278
Bo-Katan WIP - Bo-Katan Brigade WIP
- S7 Bo-Katan WIP

Wolfin Sylvermane

• We are only Immortal for a limited time.
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #16 on: Feb 08, 2020, 07:34 PM »
Loving your work.   :like: :like:  I'm going to keep watching. 

Awall

• None of us are as smart as ALL of us
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 267th Rapid Assault
« Reply #17 on: Feb 12, 2020, 10:25 PM »
Great stitch work!  Love the attention to detail.  Go go go!

Rancor Clan     #2385
Oribru Akaata #56   Emergency Battalion

Hydra

« Reply #18 on: Feb 19, 2020, 07:34 AM »
Thank you guys! Didn’t make my first deadline, no big deal. Somehow hoping her kit goes on display somewhere before I guess on too much, haha.

Did a mock up of a glove to figure out if I can get away with faux stretch suede. Real leather gloves are great but not the most dextrous.

Need to go back through and figure out the seam lines on her gloves, for now I think this fabric weight may work (especially for convention settings).

Bryn Cin'Prudii

• ~What killed the dinosaurs? THE ICE AGE!
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Airmobile brigade member Shock Infantry Brigade Member Special Weapons EnviroOps
« Reply #19 on: Feb 19, 2020, 09:11 AM »
commenting to follow - this stitching is very impressive

Cerar Clan OM#1935 Tri-Division Brigade Member#262
Apply to Brigades here!
New Item Approval

Kol Varek

• Beanpole (Formerly Kol Var'Das)
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #20 on: Feb 23, 2020, 01:28 PM »
Following with interest!

If you insist on wielding a hammer, you better be sure you can correctly identify a nail.

Hydra

« Reply #21 on: Mar 10, 2020, 07:07 PM »
Quick update, 2.5 weeks of travel slowed me down, but I am hoping to power through the rest of the project quickly. If all goes to plan she should be ready for Megacon, a local Orlando, FL event in a couple of weeks.

Added some airbrush weathering and a light coat of yellow gold. Plan to buff out some of the gold and weathering as you see here (visor is just taped in).

Leira

« Reply #22 on: Mar 10, 2020, 07:45 PM »
Great work! Very impressive

Hoping to see you at Megacon. 6 more weekends to get it all going, I'm counting down the days trying to get mine done too

I'm an amateur with advanced tools and intermediate ideas!

Stainless Steel armor WIP
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=182907.0

Kol Varek

• Beanpole (Formerly Kol Var'Das)
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #23 on: Mar 13, 2020, 12:19 AM »
Ohhhhhh man this is getting good! Glad those glove patterns worked, I'll have to go with that for my new gloves!

If you insist on wielding a hammer, you better be sure you can correctly identify a nail.

Hydra

« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2020, 11:08 PM »
Holy cow, so a lot has happened in the world since starting this project/build thread. My deadline, Megacon (Orlando, FL) has been delayed (if not outright canceled) . Not a big deal, more time to work, right? Then, Disney+ announced the Disney Gallery show...  I'm hoping that the Gallery episodes will reveal some natural/brighter light views of the Armorer. Until I can confirm or deny detail reveals, I'll be holding off on final paint and soft part weathering.

Some passive updates:

Acquired back, chest, belt greeblies and boot armor from T&A as well thanks to a trade.

I was also fed up with my attempt at tinting/dying shorter pile sheep skin, so I acquired a new one from Etsy. The store is "Exclusive Rugs" shipping from Poland. I am SO happy with the fur length and color of this skin, from what I can tell thus far, it'll be perfect.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!