Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

The Armorer WIP

• 28 Replies
The Armorer WIP
« on: Jan 22, 2020, 12:11 AM »
This is our first time doing a WIP post so please forgive if I'm not doing it right but I wanted to share our progress so far (we're about half way through so far!)

Our helmet - we started with a 3D print of Sean Fields' file and then heavily modified it and molded and cast it.

Our soft goods, base boots, and hammer in the works

Here's just the neck seal which we're pretty proud of because its versatile and can be used for many costumes, not just this one.

We're working on the belt and armor now!

Co-owner of Sionnach Studios - a design and fabrication studio for sets, costumes, and props.

Kryamla Redalur

• "Wait...how do you say your name?"
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Award for 100 official invasions. 15+ invasions in 2018 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Celebration Chicago
Re: The Armorer WIP
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 2020, 02:25 PM »
Soft goods are looking good!

Do you mind if I ask if you modified something for the flightsuit or if itís done from scratch?

« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2020, 02:40 PM »
Soft goods are looking good!

Do you mind if I ask if you modified something for the flightsuit or if itís done from scratch?

First of all, your Bo Katan is just amazing!

Second, we used this pattern as our base : https://amzn.to/2sOy8Yd It has both long and short sleeves so we used both! :)

Other than modifiying the collar the other big thing we did was to add the sleeve detailing with several layers of fabric and some ribbon!

Co-owner of Sionnach Studios - a design and fabrication studio for sets, costumes, and props.

Kryamla Redalur

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Award for 100 official invasions. 15+ invasions in 2018 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Celebration Chicago
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2020, 03:26 PM »
Oh thank you so much! :D

That sleeve is beautiful! Thank you for the link! I hope to do the armorer later this year and that will be super helpful!

« Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 2020, 04:05 PM »
We have a couple of patterns ready for the soft parts (apron and neck seal) and will be adding her belt and gaiters as well!

« Reply #5 on: Jan 29, 2020, 03:39 PM »

We've decided to use the D03D files for our armor. Our first attempt is almost done printing. We'll be making a few tweaks to the print for screen accuracy before finishing it up.

We've also got our boots and patterns for the soft parts juuuust about ready.

« Reply #6 on: Feb 02, 2020, 09:41 PM »
We now have patterns for her boot parts to go along with the apron and neck seal over on our sale thread : http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=184071.0

« Reply #7 on: Feb 19, 2020, 03:53 PM »
A few updates to share!

First up, we have been doing some paint and dye tests on our faux fur. I think we're pretty happy with where we ended up and are going with the version on the right (Left one is using a few fabric paints, right is using leather dyes).

We also finished our first set of toe caps. These were scaled and tweaked from the Do3D files, printed, finished, and hand painted and weathered.

We are also working on templating out our gloves.

And lastly, we finished our belt (minus the straps for the greebles which are currently under rubber so we can cold cast them). We'll be weathering the belt along with the apron, and calf straps soon now that all 3 parts are done so they can be consistent.

« Reply #8 on: Feb 19, 2020, 04:17 PM »
Excellent progress! For paint I highly recommend Alclad ii through an airbrush. You'll get a very authentic metallic finish with it, and is my favorite paint! Here's my helmet in their chrome, but they make brass and other shades as well.

Just be sure to use a base of high gloss black, and seal it with their Klear Kote.The Klear Kote will dull the shine a bit, but is worth it for saving the finish over time.

« Reply #9 on: Feb 19, 2020, 05:09 PM »
Oh yeah we are big fans of Alclad!

« Reply #10 on: Feb 19, 2020, 05:14 PM »
Awesome!  :like:

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #11 on: Feb 24, 2020, 04:31 PM »
Great work so far! With the attention to detail put in so far, I'm sure this will come out to be an awesome kit and look forward to watching the progress.

QMU 72| M.A.B.E.L. 77| Cabur Akaata 144
« Reply #12 on: Feb 27, 2020, 03:53 PM »
A few more progress updates!

We've finished our belt, including attaching the greeblies - just weathering left to do!

We're making good progress on our armor as well - here's the breast plate getting closer to final painting.

And the backplate!

« Reply #13 on: Mar 03, 2020, 02:18 PM »
A couple more updates!

We got our pauldrons figured out and built - we used a faux weave vinyl that we happened to have that worked out great and saved us from having to weave our own!

And our armor is all ready for final painting to begin! I love this phase of the sand/prime/fill dance where you can see all your layers and everything is super smooth!

Kryamla Redalur

« Reply #14 on: Mar 03, 2020, 02:35 PM »
Looking so good so far!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!