Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Custom Wood Stock Verpine

• 10 Replies

Lomas Thowe

• Good enough is never good enough.
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 40% increase or more
Custom Wood Stock Verpine
« on: Jan 22, 2020, 01:25 PM »
As Kal Skirata said in Republic Commando: Triple Zero, "The Verpine could even be loaded with rocks, if necessary".  A good ole slug thrower.

I started with Kuu's "Verpine Centerline Template".

123 by Tom Lowe, on Flickr

I had a friend with a bandsaw rough-cut a 2x6 for me.  I had him leave the foregrip long so I'd have room to play with a long sniper barrel and/or a bipod.  I can always cut it shorter.

IMG_3139 by Tom Lowe, on Flickr

With the proper tools... or at least "some" tools, I whittled it down to a workable shape.  First I started with a powered hand planer, then a hand bull-nose planer, then a wood chisel, a series of files, and finally sandpaper.

IMG_3143 by Tom Lowe, on Flickr

IMG_3144 by Tom Lowe, on Flickr

Reduce, reuse, repurpose!  The original board was repurposed so it had a few nail holes in it as well as a couple of minor surface cracks.  I used some DAP "Plastic Wood" stainable filler putty to fill all that in.  After it dried I sanded it down, also.

IMG_3145 by Tom Lowe, on Flickr

Once the stock was nice and smooth I cleaned it off with a tack cloth and grabbed my can of Minwax "Gunstock" wood stain.  Wipe on/wipe off, not dark enough in some places, wipe on again/wipe off again.

IMG_3208 by Tom Lowe, on Flickr

Other than the weight being off because there's no barrel or other metal hardware, shouldering this stock has a really nice fit and feel.
All of this took approximately 8 hours of work time spread out over a couple of weeks.

Now I have ideas for the barrel and barrel shroud and a rough idea of the accoutrement to go on the side of the receiver but I'm really debating whether or not I want to bother trying to add any LED's.

PorkRoll

• try to avoid a mandon't
Re: Custom Wood Stock Verpine
« Reply #1 on: Jan 26, 2020, 10:05 PM »
I'm starting with that template too. Looking forward to seeing your progress so i can get some pointers.

Lomas Thowe

« Reply #2 on: Jan 27, 2020, 10:35 AM »
So I went to the local hardware store to buy barrel parts.  I got a 5' piece of PVC pipe and a couple of random adapters.  There was a blue bucket hanging there, I didn't know why so I looked in.  It was for people to return pipe items they had picked up instead of trying to find where they came from.  Sitting in that bucket, as if sent by the spirits of ancient Mandalorian builders, was a pipe adapter that must have been made specifically for prop weapons.  I took my newly found booty home and started prep.

First came the grinding off of all the words, numbers, stamps, and stickers.  WARNING - PVC dust is hazardous, wear a respirator and eye protection!

IMG_3326 by Tom Lowe, on Flickr

Followed by sanding everything that hadn't already been touched.

IMG_3327 by Tom Lowe, on Flickr

After I rinsed all the PVC dust off it was time for painting.  This magical piece I found is actually three pieces that I took apart to paint, you'll see it later.

IMG_3329 by Tom Lowe, on Flickr

After all that dried I took everything inside and experimented around with blue, black and a little purple with some water (and a spray bottle) to try and get a neat, clean design on the barrel.

IMG_3332 by Tom Lowe, on Flickr

Here's a mock-up of most of the pieces.  I haven't gotten to the box hardware on the receiver yet but that's the "magic" piece down towards the end of the barrel.

IMG_3339 by Tom Lowe, on Flickr

Oh, and I painted the scope.

IMG_3340 by Tom Lowe, on Flickr

Busy weekend, outta time.  Stay tuned for more.

Lomas Thowe

« Reply #3 on: Jan 29, 2020, 09:49 AM »
Small update.

I went to the garage to see what I could fiddle with and realized that I had cut (sanded, painted, sealed) two left barrel support rails.  Oops. 

IMG_3360 by Tom Lowe, on Flickr

I also decided that I was going to want to take the barrel off for transport so I had to figure out how to do that.  I've looked at the "breakdown" .22 rifles like the Henry US Survival, Marlin Pappous, and the Ruger Takedown so I decided a simple twist lock would work.  Since the sniper barrel is so long I had to add a slot to the front of the forestock also.

IMG_3362 by Tom Lowe, on Flickr

Nothing has been tightened down yet but here is a shot of just how big my "heavily modified" Verpine sniper rifle is.

IMG_3366 by Tom Lowe, on Flickr

Too much?

PorkRoll

« Reply #4 on: Jan 31, 2020, 08:59 AM »
That's an impressive verp

Lomas Thowe

« Reply #5 on: Feb 10, 2020, 10:18 PM »
That's an impressive verp
Thank you.  It is rather large.  I may need a (big) sling.

Lomas Thowe

« Reply #6 on: Feb 10, 2020, 10:28 PM »
So I finally got a chance to finish my weapon.  I was working fast and furious and forgot to take a lot of pictures.
I black-washed the whole thing and used some clear drying wood glue along with some saw dust, plastic dust, and plain old dust to dirty it up.  Even though the scope was black I black-washed it too (there was a little brown in the black).  Then I hit the high spots (of the scope) with a silver paint pen, followed by some burnt umber with a small paint brush.

IMG_3515 by Tom Lowe, on Flickr

Now... every time I set the rifle down I was worried it was going to slide, fall, and smash so I built a simple stand for it.

IMG_3510 by Tom Lowe, on Flickr

So, here it is, finished (for now).  After the next event or two I really want to go back and add those LED's.

IMG_3516 by Tom Lowe, on Flickr

candygirl_mn13

• The third edge of the blade
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Celebration Anaheim 2022 Order of the Ori'Ramikad 40% increase or more 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
« Reply #7 on: Mar 11, 2020, 01:11 PM »
Nice!

Lomas Thowe

« Reply #8 on: Apr 10, 2020, 06:54 PM »
Ok, so I went back and revisited the LED idea and this is what I came up with.

First, I knew I was going to have to recess a spot for the 9v battery.  I'm using a 9v instead of something smaller because I bought a set of LED's and it came prewired with resistors and a bunch of 9v adapters - use what ya got, right?  So I tore apart what I had and traced out what I wanted to cut out.

IMG_4611 by Tom Lowe, on Flickr

I cut down deep enough so the battery was flush and space for the wires, leaving me room to put the LED's in a small box I built. 

IMG_4621 by Tom Lowe, on Flickr

Then I flipped the stock over and cut a recess on that side for the LED's, switch and wires.  I drilled a hole for the wires to pass through (because I plan ahead) but then after wiring everything together over on my workbench I realized I should have wired it there on the stock because now the switch wouldn't fit through the hole I drilled.  So after drilling another hole next to the first one and making one big hole I got everything run to both sides of the stock.

IMG_4660 by Tom Lowe, on Flickr

Without a circuit board of some kind I don't know how to make them flash in sequence but they all work.  The three on the left side all light up.

93121234_253637359016382_2981372203016126464_n by Tom Lowe, on Flickr

And the one on the right pulses without affecting the others.

92699118_691712904899541_5372679778610446336_n by Tom Lowe, on Flickr

And what Mando weapon would be complete without a Mythosaur skull?  A friend of mine with a vinyl printer made me a stencil.

IMG_4678 by Tom Lowe, on Flickr

Of course I had to weather it.

IMG_4686 by Tom Lowe, on Flickr

Speaking of weathering, I added a black wash to the boxes on both sides, hit the high spots with a silver paint pen then added some Raw Umber for rust.  The green LED (on the right) was so much brighter than the rest I pulled it out, covered it with a small piece of green tape and added rust all around it to make it look like a bad repair job.

IMG_4684 by Tom Lowe, on Flickr

IMG_4685 by Tom Lowe, on Flickr

So there it is.  I had to get it out of the garage so I would stop tinkering with it.  It's done.

IMG_4692 by Tom Lowe, on Flickr

« Last Edit: Dec 11, 2020, 09:03 AM by Lomas Thowe » Logged

Lomas Thowe

« Reply #9 on: Apr 15, 2020, 03:26 PM »
Edit:  I didn't like the way the barrel came out so I sprayed it with a flat black then did a black wash, brown wash, silver highlights, and rust.  I'm pretty happy with it now.

PorkRoll

« Reply #10 on: Apr 16, 2020, 10:11 AM »
Edit:  I didn't like the way the barrel came out so I sprayed it with a flat black then did a black wash, brown wash, silver highlights, and rust.  I'm pretty happy with it now.

so much for stopping tinkering...hahahaha.  GREAT job.  looks super.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!