Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Time for a WIP! (update 9/13!)

• 26 Replies
Time for a WIP! (update 9/13!)
« on: Jan 26, 2020, 07:17 PM »
Hello there!

So I'm starting my very first Mando kit. I'm stoked!

Here's where I am so far:

-I've landed on a color scheme and a plan, with what armor pieces I want and what bucket (NME Assassin). Debated a long time on my flightsuit/flak vest color combination, and landed on black flightsuit and brown flak vest. I know the flightsuit will be hard to weather, but I think it'll look better.

-Today I bought some thick black leggings for my flight suit, but I need to cover some zippers on them (who puts zipper pockets on leggings, seriously?  :rolleyes:). Thought about buying a shirt while I was out, and found one I liked, but I wasn't sure it'd be approvable, so I held off and will get either a plain long-sleeved t-shirt or a turtleneck.

-I also purchased some boots, which I think will be perfect. They're ankle rain boots, which means no zippers! I'm planning on spats anyway, but I'm glad I won't have to worry about zippers or laces on the shoes at least.

-I've done some research on flak vests. I'm an "advanced beginner" seamstress, so I'll probably try to make it myself depending on the price point when I actually price out everything I'll need. I'm leaning towards side clips to fasten it, and I think I might try to use a modified Simplicity pattern unless I find something better.

Boots:

Bought some half chaps!

« Last Edit: Sep 13, 2020, 09:58 AM by AmiSky » Logged
~Su'cuy gar!~
Re: Time for a WIP!
« Reply #1 on: Mar 07, 2020, 12:13 PM »
Apologies for the double post, but I wanted to make sure someone saw this.

I think I've landed on a color/design scheme for my kit, but I wanted to make sure it'd be approvable. I picked up this great piece of fabric and want to use it as a design scheme (and use the fabric itself as loincloth and cape). Thoughts??

The fabric:

Black-and-white concept idea:

Colored concept idea:
https://imgur.com/a/nTCPWDW

« Last Edit: Apr 27, 2020, 10:06 PM by AmiSky » Logged
~Su'cuy gar!~

Kazya Rembrea

• Keep your wits sharp, and your blade sharper.
« Reply #2 on: Mar 08, 2020, 08:01 AM »
Ooooh, I like it!

PS where did you get leggings with pockets >_>

« Reply #3 on: Mar 09, 2020, 08:41 PM »
PS where did you get leggings with pockets >_>

Target. Unfortunately it turns out they are fake pockets.  :(

~Su'cuy gar!~

Kazya Rembrea

• Keep your wits sharp, and your blade sharper.
« Reply #4 on: Mar 10, 2020, 04:04 PM »
Target. Unfortunately it turns out they are fake pockets.  :(

... Well. That's dumb lol

« Reply #5 on: Apr 20, 2020, 06:34 PM »
Updates!

App team said my fabric was too Earth-y without some modifications, so I'll likely use just a bit of it, and I reworked my concept a bit.

My bucket came and I love it! I'm so excited to work on it (after the corona stuff is over).

I now have some old ammo pouches that a friend gave me for free, as well as some thigh plates that she decided she didn't want.

And my 3D printed gauntlets and blasters arrived today, so I'm super stoked to read up on how to sand and glue and paint them and work on that!

« Last Edit: Apr 27, 2020, 10:03 PM by AmiSky » Logged
~Su'cuy gar!~

Avelin Kel

• OM#2248
« Reply #6 on: Apr 21, 2020, 09:48 AM »
Awesome work so far. Love your concepts. You've got a solid start!

If you don't have experience filling in lines on a 3D print, I swear by something called XTC-3D to coat the print and then sand. It works wonders for the things I print. One of the slight downsides is if applied too thick it can kind of pool in detail spots. So I usually do thinner layers.

I am really excited to watch your progress. This is going to be one amazing kit  :like:

« Reply #7 on: Apr 24, 2020, 09:37 PM »
Oooh, thanks for the tip about the XTC-3D! I'll definitely pick some up!

~Su'cuy gar!~

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #8 on: Apr 24, 2020, 09:54 PM »
I dig the concept :D. XTC is like magic for 3d prints. You'll still have to apply-sand-apply-sand for a million and seven years, but when you're done it comes out beautifully. One thing that was brought to my attention recently that I didn't really put together is that it does tend to fill in small details, so definitely in the thin layers. When Avelin and I did our realistic-style Westars with it, it really did fill in some of the details a lot.

Since you're on imgur, I recommend using the BB Code on the list of links it gives you when you click on a pic. You can copy it and paste directly into your post to embed your pictures. A lot of people just straight up won't click outside links; they look at a post, see links and no pics and just move on. It might get you a little more traffic, and especially when you get into more detailed parts of the build it's much easier to be able to look at them in post and them open in a new tab if you need to zoom in on something.

Great start so far, though, and I hope to see more progress soon!

QMU 72| M.A.B.E.L. 77| Cabur Akaata 144
« Reply #9 on: Apr 27, 2020, 10:04 PM »
Ah, thanks!! I'll update my images right now!

My XTC came from Amazon today. I'll make sure I'm super careful with it going on too thick--hopefully I can avoid it removing details. Thanks for the tips!

~Su'cuy gar!~
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2020, 11:51 AM »
Well, I've gotten some work done during this quarantine!

Gauntlet one is painted and weathered and ready for design. The other gauntlet is going to be base brown, so I haven't weathered it yet, but it's otherwise done.

My first blaster (X-8) is done!

I'm really pleased with it--I've never done anything like this before and feel like I'm learning  a lot! Anyone see any issues with it?

The second blaster is almost done. I'll post pics when it's finished.

~Su'cuy gar!~

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2020, 05:29 PM »
Good work so far :). I don't see anything that jumps out, just make sure that your weathering is consistent across other armor parts and your soft parts too when you get working on them.

QMU 72| M.A.B.E.L. 77| Cabur Akaata 144
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2020, 11:48 AM »
Thanks! Yeah, I'm going for light/medium weathering for this kit, but that will definitely be the trick! I'm planning on experimenting with some of the bleach-and-paint weathering for the soft parts soon.

~Su'cuy gar!~

Avelin Kel

• OM#2248
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2020, 08:59 AM »
very nice work!  :like:

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2020, 03:01 PM »
Aaaand my second blaster is done! I call this one "The Beast"  ;D

I think the only thing left that I have to do is chop off that little hook thing on the handle, which I can do when I get access to the dremel I'm going to borrow.

~Su'cuy gar!~
« Reply #15 on: Jul 01, 2020, 05:23 PM »
Some updates!

Ordered my holsters off Etsy--they are beautiful dark brown leather. I was originally going to try and make them myself, but now that I have the finished product, I'm super pleased with them and glad I didn't try doing it myself.

Got a pair of Imperial code cylinders that I'll dirty up for trophies, as well as a bone/fang type necklace on cord.

Ordered helmet fans and padding for the interior.

Started working on my flak vest. I have a rough version of it--it came out better than I expected, so I'm hopeful that I can use it and not have to remake it. I still have to put in the zipper (and the velcro flap to cover it) and do some darts for fitting around the bust, but I have to wait on that until I have an extra set of hands to help.

I'm getting together with some other friends who are working on kits (one is OM) in a few weeks, and we're all going to work together to get plates done, and anything else we can accomplish!

~Su'cuy gar!~

Awall

• None of us are as smart as ALL of us
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 267th Rapid Assault
« Reply #16 on: Jul 03, 2020, 09:53 PM »
 :like:

Rancor Clan     #2385
Oribru Akaata #56   Emergency Battalion
« Reply #17 on: Aug 02, 2020, 09:41 AM »
So I met up with some OM friends and got a TON of work done last week!! Plates are measured, cut, sanded, and shaped! Painting has begun!! Some pics:

Cut

Sanded

Base coat paint

Practicing weathering on my shoulder trauma plate

Weathering with trauma plate and full color

Full shoulder plate, painted and weathered. Just needs a blackwash and clear coat

~Su'cuy gar!~

GraniteDad

• Choruk Buir
Re: Time for a WIP! (big update 8/2!)
« Reply #18 on: Aug 04, 2020, 07:54 PM »
amazing progress last week. Plates look great, especially the back plate.

« Reply #19 on: Aug 11, 2020, 11:27 AM »
Painting and weathering is done!! It's really starting to feel like a kit now! I have to work on mounting, and install my visor, and then it's just a few more things left to wrap up.  :porg2:

~Su'cuy gar!~

GraniteDad

• Choruk Buir
« Reply #20 on: Aug 11, 2020, 12:52 PM »
Looking great! I'm not OM but the only thing that looks like it might draw attention are the white dots- in the photo they look a little off-kilter/messy. Might just be the way the weathering looks, but I'd check them with a critical eye and see if they need to be made more uniform in appearance.

« Reply #21 on: Aug 15, 2020, 11:37 AM »
Thanks! It'd be no problem to fix them, but I was kind of going for the "hand-done" look instead of perfect rounds. But if they need to be more uniform I can always fix them up later.

~Su'cuy gar!~
« Reply #22 on: Sep 13, 2020, 09:55 AM »
Been working on plate attachment so I finally got kitted up for the first time! This is everything except my chest diamond and knees--and of course there are still a lot of little things to adjust, trophies to add, belt to fix, etc. But it was super exciting to see what it would all look like!

I'll get my plate spacing worked out too. I just slapped these on to get the visual.

Biggest thing I gotta figure out is my flak vest bunching up at my abs. I had it longer so that it could be pulled down flat, but then I read in the CRLs that it can't touch the waist items, so I shortened it but now it rides up...I might end up sticking some velcro on the inside to velcro it to my flight suit...don't know.

~Su'cuy gar!~

Bade Duun

• Credits talk. I do not.
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Force Hunter Brigade Member Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023.
Re: Time for a WIP! (update 9/13!)
« Reply #23 on: Sep 13, 2020, 07:29 PM »
Love your color scheme and patterns. Awesome work.  :like:

Nika

• April 23 - submitted pre-app pics
Re: Time for a WIP! (update 9/13!)
« Reply #24 on: Nov 09, 2020, 05:55 PM »
Great progress so far! Loving the colors and design!

Instagram: @Mando.Nika
TikTok: @Mando.Nika

Family is more than blood.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!