Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Would a poncho work as an alternative to a cape?

• 3 Replies
Would a poncho work as an alternative to a cape?
« on: Feb 05, 2020, 02:49 PM »
I'm working on my costume concept and was wondering if a poncho would be approved. I'm thinking something in the style of The Man with No Name, like below.

jethroskull

• Awards Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023.
Re: Would a poncho work as an alternative to a cape?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 05, 2020, 03:10 PM »
From everything I've seen; yes. I plan on using one for my dusty desert dweller.

Foxtrot

• Rebel scum.
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #2 on: Feb 05, 2020, 09:47 PM »
Ponchos are fine. Technically, Boba Fett's cape was a poncho of sort and could be attached and worn as such. It's shown like that in pre-production images and in a lot of concept art. Jengo Fett apparently wore an actual poncho and is the picture for the "poncho" entry on Wookieepedia.

But we all know the Fetts are a bunch of pretenders, right? Regardless of that, ponchos exist in the Star Wars universe, so you can wear one. I think where you might run into trouble though is if you try to get, say, a traditional Mexican textile poncho. Those patterns and colors won't fit.

Brandon McFadden
ID-91313 | OM-1814
"Kot adol chaab."
« Reply #3 on: Feb 06, 2020, 12:58 AM »
Ponchos are fine. Technically, Boba Fett's cape was a poncho of sort and could be attached and worn as such. It's shown like that in pre-production images and in a lot of concept art. Jengo Fett apparently wore an actual poncho and is the picture for the "poncho" entry on Wookieepedia.

But we all know the Fetts are a bunch of pretenders, right? Regardless of that, ponchos exist in the Star Wars universe, so you can wear one. I think where you might run into trouble though is if you try to get, say, a traditional Mexican textile poncho. Those patterns and colors won't fit.

Thanks for the links! I know I would need to find some suitably starwarzy pattern for the actual poncho or go with colors that work better.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!