Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

ZerÝís Intro and Concepts

• 7 Replies
ZerÝís Intro and Concepts
« on: Feb 14, 2020, 01:31 AM »
Hello all!

I go by ZerÝ, Iím from Phoenix, and Iím finally getting ideas going for joining the Mercs. Havenít quite made contact with Shonare Vhekadla yet, but Iíve been following them and the Mercs on Facebook for some time now. Actually the new Builders group is whatís really getting the motivation going~

As far as my concept, itís not much more than a color scheme and a few key decisions so far. I enjoy the squared cheeks of the NME Assassin, but want to go with a more classic visor shape and earcaps, though likely will ditch the rangefinder. I have a design for shoulders I like as well, and I know Iíd like to design some sort of cape/cloak, but havenít settled on anything yet. Beyond that, things are kind of up in the air; I know which pieces I need, just not quite how I want them to look.

Iíve gotten some of my ideas down on a modified coloring page I found, based on Modern armor:

So from here, I have a couple questions regarding resources for my future kit!

• Are there any sort of bucket templates that have squared cheeks, or would I need to modify them into a template myself?
  • I have a nice shade of blue (which is on my concept) that Iíd like to use to add more of a pattern to my helmet (namely the forehead), but I need ideas. Is there something like a repository of patterns/designs that are typical of Mandalorian culture? Iíve seen designs akin to tribal tattoos on some kits, which is kinda what Iím looking for.
  • As for weaponry, I know Iíd like to attempt to take a Steyr AUG and bring it into the Star Wars universe, similar to how many guns are based on existing weaponry. For this, is there a limitation on building materials similar to the armor CRLs? Also if this already exists, let me know, cuz I havenít found any canon weapons based on an AUG yet!

Thatís about it for now. Really looking forward to getting to know folks, meeting my local clan, and starting this project.

-ZerÝ

« Last Edit: Feb 14, 2020, 02:39 AM by MugenZeroX » Logged

Naasad Tal

• "Aliit ori'shya tal'din"
  • Awards Family events 15+ clan level invasions 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Repeat appearance in the invasion reports
Re: ZerÝís Intro and Concepts
« Reply #1 on: Feb 14, 2020, 05:05 AM »
Welcome ner vod, I'm Shonare Vhekadla's Ruus'alor Sol'yc, glad to have you join us!

Your concept looks pretty solid, far as I know there are only a few helmets with the squared cheeks, NME Assassin & Stalker & now the Heavy Infantry Mando from the show. I don't know of any generic templates with a squared cheek so you'd have to modify something.

As far as the use of the Blue goes, I HIGHLY recommend you do a little research & look at what others have done, I would also recommend staying clear of directly using earthy tribal designs in your build, take a look at your inspiration & find out what it is about the design you chose & modify it to fit the Star Wars aesthetic.

Finally, your weapon...the problem with the AUG is that is SUPER recognizable as an earth based weapon & it doesn't really fit the Star Wars look. That being said, it's entirely possible to make it work, but it would probably take a lot of extra work to change it enough to get it past.

You're color scheme is awesome & I look forward to seeing progress, if I can help, feel free to reach out

Chris S. OM# 454
Shonare Vhekadla Clan
Brigades: Desert Ops #2
Societies: VRCA #20, Elegant Mando #66, Cabur Akaata #72, Vode Be Vhekad #2

Carid Vhett

• M.A.#048. YNWA
  • Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #2 on: Feb 14, 2020, 05:48 AM »
For the patterns look at things like Jaing eyes. Always a classic design.

I understand, no prisoners, only trophies
Death is always smiling at you, it is only polite to smile back.
Mhi kisol, mhi briikase kisol, mhi tsad be vode.
Keep Moving Forwards - Monty Oum
« Reply #3 on: Mar 03, 2020, 09:11 PM »
Just wanted to post an updated planning WIP to see if thereís any CRL issues in the design. Special thanks to Jev Vaísal for the blank templates, they are amazing.

So hereís my updates from v1:
  • Added my cape, length tbd
  • Updated plate designs to feature accented trauma plating
  • Added thigh armor
  • Converted shins to shnees
  • Added kama and loin cloth, unsure if kama will be split on the sides, and Iíll also be modifying this and the belt away from the original template design
  • Added a simple design to the forehead bucket

In addition, my fiancťe will be joining me, so I have a WIP for her as well until she gets her own account.

I appreciate any feedback, as Iím really going from scratch on some of this and want to make sure that theyíre approvable as designs before we even think about buying any supplies. Iíve heard and continue to see the horror stories of folks completing kits that have a lot of CRL issues cuz it wasnít checked among the way. :(

Voríe vod!

Naasad Tal

• Awards Family events 15+ clan level invasions 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Repeat appearance in the invasion reports
« Reply #4 on: Mar 03, 2020, 09:16 PM »
Those look awesome! Love the color schemes!!

Chris S. OM# 454
Shonare Vhekadla Clan
« Reply #5 on: Jan 09, 2022, 10:38 PM »
Okay! Didnít wanna make a whole new topic but I can make one if needed, just let me know~

So itís been a while (for various reasons!) but weíve been slowly refining our concepts and have a pretty solid direction for our kits. Iíve actually finished a rough model of my concept, so Iím checking in to see if thereís any issues at this point before we go further.

So changes:

Armor
Iíve swapped to Legacy-style plates for the body and shoulders, and a simple custom design for the bracers and shins. Helmet is gonna be Alter Egoís Mountaineer with solid cheeks instead of the fabric. Thereís a backplate here that I loosely based on one of the comic designs, but that may change/be omitted completely since Iíll have a cape. I plan on doing the armor out of sintra, and getting the helmet printed.

Soft Parts
Not a whole lot has changed here but I just wanted to point out that since I borrowed the Mandalorian model from Fortnite as a base, this is Dinís flightsuit/flak vest, and just the colors are modified. I plan on doing a 2-piece method, probably with scrubs. Unsure at this point if Iíll leave the loincloth as a solid color or if Iíll add a pattern. As for the kama, itíll be two side panels that arenít connected in the back, but they should still meet the 1/3 circumference requirement. Additionally the lower half of the kama will be armored with plates- along the lines of the kama on Dresdenís kit. Unfortunately my model doesnít represent this well, haha. Lastly I donít plan on carrying a lot of waist gear, so Iíll just have a simple belt across my sash.

Weapons
Iíve moved away from my previous ideas entirely! Iím planning to carry 3 weapons- first, Iím going with a 6-2aug2 hunting rifle/cycler rifle, in addition to a Westar-88 from Sergey Kolesnik (which I already have! Heard a lot about his printwork so we couldnít pass up getting a pair of these- my wife will be carrying the twin!). For my last weapon I have a specific question- Iíd like to have a vibrosword, but Iím unsure how I can carry it.. Ideally Iíd like to sheathe it and tie the sheath into my sash belt, but I donít know if thereís any precedent for vibroswords to have full sheathes- if there is, I havenít found any as of yet, so suggestions are really helpful here!

Now that Iíve gotten this model done, Iíll be doing the same for my wifeís concept and Iíll get that posted soon too- weíll have more questions about approval for her concept since weíll be doing Legacy but straying a tad from conventional plates if possible.

As before any feedback is helpful, especially regarding approval so if Iíve missed something obvious just let me know!

Naasad Tal

« Reply #6 on: Jan 10, 2022, 01:41 AM »
Sounds like you've got a solid plan, can't wait to see your progress!

Chris S. OM# 454
Shonare Vhekadla Clan

Celtkhan

• Want some soup?
« Reply #7 on: Jan 14, 2022, 02:53 PM »
Thereís no reason a vibroweapon wouldnít have a full sheath. Not everything on your costume has to have an exact precedent in the lore; as long as it makes sense and looks like it fits in the universe, you should be fine. Iíd say go ahead.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!