Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Vibro Baton Update

• 3 Replies
Vibro Baton Update
« on: Feb 12, 2020, 01:58 AM »
So I've made a ton of progress on these.

After a troubled assembly, I got some help from the fantastic folks at https://dallasmakerspace.org/, so super duper shout out to them!  They helped me get the steel bent right (mostly).

Then assembled.

Filler Primer

Two coats of glossy black as a base

This next bit is a little complicated.  I started using that graphite powder trick that I've seen going around but on black, it was too dark.  Rather than spend more $ on more paint, I elected to coat the body in graphite then add a gloss coat.  I repeated this until I got a rich gunmetal grey so it took me a few days to pull off.  I ended up doing 5 coats of graphite and gloss on the upper portion and 3 on the bottom.  It's really subtle and my camera doesn't capture it well but in person, it looks really good.

Next up was a few spits of copper

Here are more complications.  I originally wanted to use steel wire for grips on the pvc but the copper looks so good, I couldn't resist it.  Before I made this decision, I tried wrapping the grips in steel wire but I kept coming up short.  So after getting some advice from sword makers, I made almost over 100 feet of twisted wire to wrap.  To say the least, it was an endeavor.

Next up is some weathering.  The vibe I'm going for is that these have seen some battle damage but for the most part has been neglected.  So definitely some scratches here and there but rust as well.

I'm considering adding some greeblies really, the vambraces need to be made next.  Also I have to figure a way to attach these batons to the vambraces in such a way that they can be removed and re attached with ease.

Re: Vibro Baton Update
« Reply #1 on: Feb 13, 2020, 06:14 PM »
These look awesome! Have you considered magnets for attachment?

« Reply #2 on: Feb 15, 2020, 03:13 PM »
I very much have and I'd need to drill holes in the pvc in order to set the magnets.  I'm a total wimp and can't bring myself to do it.  I think I'll go for something like thishttps://www.acehardware.com/departments/hardware/window-and-screen-hardware/window-and-screen-clips/50870?x429=true&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&gclid=Cj0KCQiAyp7yBRCwARIsABfQsnQyvyqLPPzBd4R8bZVWZ0szPtYa2rIdNDeFQ1TmKYFhB6EGM5c-vwAaAgE7EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

« Reply #3 on: Feb 18, 2020, 12:03 AM »
Ok so I just finished them!  Finally weathered them and I am bloody pleased.  I was going for some battle damage with years of neglect.  Sort of speaks to my character's state of mind.
After thinking about it a bit, I'm going with Styrene sheaths painted to look like metal on my utility belt.  I'm going with the belt solution simply because the added weight to the vambraces will kill me after wearing it for a few hours.  Speaking of, the vambraces are next and I have zero idea about how to build them but I'm sure that I'll figure it out.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!