Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

First build concept

• 17 Replies

Reika

First build concept
« on: Feb 26, 2020, 10:14 PM »
Hi all

This is my first build and here is my concept. It is not 100%,  WIP especially the paint. Any feedback on how my armour is looking or whether it all fits for the modern era would be great.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/zj7BEwO.jpg[/img

Hopefully the links worked.
The armour will be a gun metal / metallic charcoal colour
For my flight suit I was thinking Black leggings and a turtle neck long sleeve otherwise I have black scrubs to convert.

tks Bronnie

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
Re: First build concept
« Reply #1 on: Feb 27, 2020, 04:45 PM »
You'll need knees, of course, but as a base concept it looks pretty good. Are those three panels below the belt to be a loincloth?

You missed the close bracket on the second link, but that model of vambraces ought to be fine. Black leggings and turtleneck are fine as long as they're sturdy enough material, but there's nothing wrong with hanging onto the scrubs as a backup.

QMU 72| M.A.B.E.L. 77| Cabur Akaata 144

Reika

« Reply #2 on: Feb 27, 2020, 06:18 PM »
Hi Slade

Thanks for the feed back  :) much appreciated. Yes the panels are lion cloth..

Might change the shoulder armour to 3 pieces instead of 2.

Dexie

• ✨They/Them✨
« Reply #3 on: Feb 27, 2020, 07:19 PM »
Looks great! As Slade mentioned you'll need some knees, but other than that I really like the colours and definitely think it falls under Modern

For shoulder bits, sometimes it helps to make some mock ups out of paper if ya like and then see how they sit on your shoulder, it at least helped me make a decision when I did mine  :vizsla:

Sandhawk Clan//OM#2383

Reika

« Reply #4 on: Feb 28, 2020, 12:20 AM »
Question...  if I add the knees and keep the shinguards  can I eliminate the thigh pieces?

« Reply #5 on: Feb 28, 2020, 04:58 PM »
That is correct. "Knees and a cod piece are the minimum of lower armor required. Soft cod or loincloth is acceptable, as well as shin/knee combo plates (shnees) being an acceptable variant for knees." - CRLs

You will also need, however, a second belt which I do not see in the drawing. Specifically a girth belt, so be sure to have that!

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #6 on: Feb 28, 2020, 10:12 PM »
Yep, rules as written, the only things you need below the belt are cod/loin and knees. However, from an aesthetic perspective, having shins without thighs tends to look unbalanced, especially on a Legacy kit which is naturally heavier-armored-looking. You don't need thighs with knees, even with legacy, there's no rule preventing it and plenty have been approved without it, I just think it doesn't look as good.

QMU 72| M.A.B.E.L. 77| Cabur Akaata 144

Reika

« Reply #7 on: Mar 01, 2020, 05:36 AM »
http://imgur.com/a/zjBpY1e

I have update my concept after everyone advice.
Added knees and a girth belt  and tweaked the colour. Will  be adding battle damage to the armour pieces to break up the solid colour.
Thank you. For the input  :boba:
I have also printed some guantlets and a pistol. Totally love Jyn erso's pistol.  :)
Slowly moving  forward, been on con crunch with the hubby last few weeks. He already has a mondo in the works and I have my Rey cosplays.

Reika

« Reply #8 on: Mar 10, 2020, 08:58 PM »
https://imgur.com/a/WDOBRSW

Started slowly collect pieces. I also have a helmet on order from April and a flak vest in progress.

Considering adding in some faux fur maybe on the forearms and legs.

Also wondering if this can get moved to the female armour WIP?  Tks

« Last Edit: Mar 10, 2020, 09:45 PM by Bronnie » Logged

Fenris Claddanna

• Chaotic Fun
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #9 on: Mar 11, 2020, 10:19 AM »
Looking good so far. Keep up the great work.

Also, topic moved to Female Armor by your request.

Oyacyir mav, ash'amur pirusti

OM#1624
Kyrimorut#021:KMB# 32:B.E.A.R.D.S#128:W.B. #08:MTS#082:M.M.R.S#017

Reika

« Reply #10 on: Mar 13, 2020, 07:01 AM »
Hi

Is it possible to change my gauntlets to half bracers with leather strapping and adding fur around the forearm? In addition adding fur to the lower leg and possibly eliminating the shin pieces ?

Tks

Awall

• None of us are as smart as ALL of us
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 267th Rapid Assault
« Reply #11 on: Mar 13, 2020, 11:21 AM »
I like your concept.  Nice job!  As you move on be sure to do something to cover those shoe laces if you haven’t already.  Keep up the updates

Rancor Clan     #2385
Oribru Akaata #56   Emergency Battalion

Reika

« Reply #12 on: Mar 14, 2020, 06:58 AM »
http://imgur.com/a/aNJxFFt

Hi.

So I have some updates :
*some templates for the chest plate ( super nervous about trying to get the shape right.)
* thigh templates
*think I will do two of the jyn erso blasters
* will do half bracers with leather strapping and some fur
* have 3d printed a knee piece (test)

And excited about my paint selection 😊😊😊

I have my flal vest and loincloth/waistbelt on commission. I am terrible at sewing.

I do have a question regarding the chest to neck piece... does it have to be all in one or am I able to have a space between?

Tks

Veris Bralor

• Awards Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 15+ clan level invasions 40% increase or more
« Reply #13 on: Mar 16, 2020, 01:51 PM »
I really like that concept, couple of house keeping things you keep you on the easy road:

Per the CRLs: "The gap between shoulder plates and collar/backplate should not be more than 2” or 5 cm." Your shoulder plates start pretty far down in your drawing, so be careful of that.
"Legacy chest armor must not have any gaps between collar, chest, chest diamond, and abdomen armor." So you don't have to make the collar and chest one piece, but if they are 2 pieces there can be no gap. I've seen them butted together and I've seen them overlapping.
"Full or half/bracer-style hard shell gauntlets that cover at least 2/3 of the length of the forearm from wrist to elbow and at least half of the circumference.
If half bracers are used, they must display a permanent, in-universe method of securing them to the forearm, such as leather or nylon straps." So with your half bracers make sure they are big enough. I would also recommend looking at getting a long leather glove or something similar to go underneath, as the app team is probably going to want to see a clean transition from your sleeve to your glove.
I'm not 100% sure those boot are star warzy enough but I see that you are planning on adding boot armor to cover them up. On a related note, those gaters are approvable, but the zippers either need to be fully covered, or worn on the inside of the leg.

Keep up the great work!

Reika

« Reply #14 on: Mar 30, 2020, 11:29 PM »
Hi All

Hope everyones doing well with the current circumstances.

I have been makimg progress .. here are the links.
http://imgur.com/a/TfSg5Fk

I still have alot of work on my breast plates to do and a neck piece to make..
Plus alot of sanding...

http://imgur.com/a/auFH6iV

Hope everyones doing well with the new way of life at the moment.

I have made alot of progress, my husband helped me with my chest armour which has now been reinforced with fibreglass. 

I was super excited to recieve my comissioned flak vest, sash and loincloth from Cameron (fellow Sandhawk clan member)  Super greatful he was able to get it done for me. His workmanship is amazing.

I have also covered the zippers on my chaps
Made some greeblies for my belt (yet to get) and a nice blade.

Thanks for all the feedback.. keeping it all in mind  :)

New April 16...

http://imgur.com/a/OMYIwQk

Here is my latest progress..

Painted my armour.. would love some feedback on how it looking please.
I dont want alot of damage..

Tks

« Last Edit: Apr 16, 2020, 03:21 AM by Bronnie » Logged

Reika

« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2020, 05:13 AM »
Hi All

Alot has happened since my last post, alot of progress. I went to try on my kit and found that with my weight loss my chest armour no longer fittted  aagh!

So I have since completely changed up my armour and colour scheme  I have linked the progress photos and things are still a work in progress.

http://imgur.com/a/tbmf2WS

I would love some feedback on my new direction please. My soft part will mostly stay the same.. I will probably adjust my loincloth slightly .

Thanks  :like:

UPDATE.... FEEDBACK PLEASE..

Here is my almost complete kit. Test fit with velcro.
Need to fix:
Add magnets or snaps for fastening
 lower shins
 Stance is putting ab plates out of line.
Add broken stipe.on one breast plate
May add a cream oth under fur on my waist to give a colour pop.

Looking for feedback before preapp please..  I know everyone busy

http://imgur.com/a/EqiYsN6

« Last Edit: Jun 01, 2020, 10:15 PM by Reika » Logged

Coreysnaps

• Kaiya Ardellian
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Special Operations Brigade Member Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #16 on: Jun 05, 2020, 01:57 PM »
You might need to pull your whole belt combo up a little to come closer to covering the bottom of your vest.  What is the animal on the back plate?  I'm just curious; I like it.  I don't really see anything else.  It looks like you're really close.

"...I leave to the discretion of the MMCC merch officer." 

If you have a Supply question, please ask here: Here

Reika

« Reply #17 on: Jun 05, 2020, 05:40 PM »
Thank you for the feedback, helps alot. The signet is a loth wolf, its one of my favourite things on my kit.

8/06/20
Here are some new photos

http://imgur.com/a/LW7AC7T

« Last Edit: Jun 08, 2020, 04:47 AM by Reika » Logged

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!