Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

new decade, new kit. starting with the helmet ... This is the way

• 17 Replies

The Bearded Mando

• Run if you must, but you will only die tired.
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
New decade and I'm starting a new kit.
Building a new helmet from a thrift store bike helmet and home depot buckets

started with the bike helmet by  removing all the stickers, removing the chin strap, and giving it a good sanding. I used 120 grit 3M prograde sandpaper, this stuff it great.

I discovered a small crack during the sanding and had to drill it out. doing this will keep the crack from progressing, as a crack won't travel thru the hole. Just make sure you get the very end of the crack.

I printed out the WOF helmet templates pages 15,16,19,20 (the outer shell) on cardstock. Assembled them and taped them to the helmet to check sizing.
I prefer using cardstock when I print templates because they hold up better to tracing and generally easier for me to work with.

With the helmet on, open your mouth wide (like a yawn). You don't want people seeing your jaw move while talking to them (I think it kinda ruins the illusion).
Having a big bushy beard, I had to point where my chin is (haven't seen my chin in almost 7 years, long enough to consider it legally dead :) ).
Also check to make sure the back comes down far enough, watch out for the neck meat.

Once you have the templates scaled to the proper size, cut out pages 13,14,17,18 (the inner shell). Assemble them and cut the seam E along the front. This will give you a smooth back, with MUCH less sanding and bondo (always a plus). no need to worry about a split in the front, as that will be covered by the t-visor from the outer shell.

Temporarily removed the padding from the inside of the helmet.

On to closing the holes (so many holes). Started by covering the outside with painters tape, and finished with resin and cloth on the inside. I couldn't find my fiberglass cloth, so I thought I would see if using random strips of cloth would work. It did. Not as strong as the fiberglass cloth, but strong enough for bondo.

Folded my inner shell template in half, and gave it a good crease.

After giving my bucket a good sanding, inside and out, I set it on a level surface and traced a perpendicular line on it, to guide my template.

With the crease and the bucket line as guides, I taped my template onto the bucket and traced it.

I extend the back a bit more, to ensure coverage. #mandomullet

Always a good idea to mark which side is up, and X out the lines you don't want to cut.

20 minutes of cutting later, and the inner shell is free from the bucket.

I wanted to make sure I had a level line as a guide for the shell. I propped the helmet up on a couple of coffee cans and made certain it was level. Taped a gold marker to a t-square, and marked around the helmet.

Using heavy tape, I attached the shell to the helmet. Then came all the drilling and rivets.

If you don't have a rivet gun (I didn't when I worked on my first 2 helmets), you can use short wood screws. Just make sure the drill bit is smaller than the screw. With the screw installed, you will want to mark the exposed pointy end with a sharpie. Then remove the screw and cut the marked area off. Don't try to use a rotary tool to cut the screw while it is installed, it will heat up the screw and the plastic will start to melt. (I have done this)

Now I try on my new proto helmet (don't forget to reinstall the padding), and mark where my eye-line is. Less problems down the road, when I put the T-visor on.

That's all right now.
Posting this on youtube also, as part of a series.

Gotta get to work on part 2 now.

« Last Edit: Mar 04, 2020, 08:03 PM by The Bearded Mando » Logged

The Bearded Mando

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
more progress  :jango:

I plan on making a custom t-visor, but keep the same cheeks. so I cut out what I plan to keep and grab some scrap posterboad to make a new template

After a few sketches, i find the one i want, and cut out my new template.

Now onto gluing and clamping.

I Trace the outer shell onto the inner shell before I start laying down a healthy amount of glue, that way I know where the glue goes and that everything is lined up.
I dont worry if some glue squeezes out, I will just trim it off after it cures

I used black gorilla tape and spring clamps to hold the outer shell in place till the glue cured.

While the glue was curing i traced and cut out the cheeks. The top part of the cheeks curve in and the bottom curve out, so i made sure to mark the accordingly.

Once the glue had cured i cut out the cheeks and t-visor from the inner shell

I grab my glue gun and start gluing the cheeks in place
I also found a secret weapon for gluing the cheeks in. a little can of compressed air for cleaning keyboards n such. What a time saver!!

Right now the hot glue is just kind of a placeholder.

Now that the cheeks are in place i move on to resin and fiberglass
I precut plenty of small strips and start building up the inside
Don't skip the sanding on the inside of the bucket, the resin won't stick .

I put down 3 layers of fiberglass, and once it was all smoothed out, I set it outside to cure.

Once the resin has cured i peel the hot glue from the outside

next step is gonna be installing the visor template.
once the chicago screws arrive from amazon :D

Bryn Cin'Prudii

• ~What killed the dinosaurs? THE ICE AGE!
  • Awards Airmobile brigade member 40+ hrs of Charity Work Shock Infantry Brigade Member Special Weapons EnviroOps
Hooray! a new well documented bucket build. The videos you are producing are very helpful for new recruits.

Cerar Clan OM#1935 Tri-Division Brigade Member#262
Good ideas here!  There may be a third scratch built bucket in my future.  ;D  Can't wait to see more.

Don't cry because it is over, smile because it happened. -Dr. Seuss

The Bearded Mando

Now to install the visor

First thing I did was to take the outer shell template and trace that onto another bucket.
I like working with buckets because they already have a curve to them.
But you can make a visor template from scrap cardboard or poster board as well

Make sure you trace the inside of the outer shell as well, that way you know when you have placed your fastener to close to the edge
We need to make this a bit smaller to fit, so we will trim off about ⅛” all the way around

Check it inside the helmet and trim as needed.

This is where I glued it in place and painted the inside of my helmet.

It made everything else so much easier.

I will be using ⅛” chicago screws with #10 washers
You can also use #8 t-nuts and screws, just make sure to bend the prongs down flush on the t-nuts.

Then I had to peel off all the hot glue

Once that was done I took one of the chicago screw posts and marked the template.

Next I drilled a pilot hole in the center.

Then grabbed my drill gage to determine what size bit i would need.

The post measured 13/64” so i grabbed my 15/64” bit and enlarged the hole and double checked the post, perfect fit

Place the template inside the helmet and make sure it is placed properly, grab a marker and mark the helmet where the post will go.

For the first 3 posts, a spot of hot glue was all that was needed to hold the post while I checked the placement.

This is the gap that we are looking for, just about the height of the post base

Once I am happy with how the post lines up I remove the template and mix up some 2 part epoxy
Make sure that you get equal parts squeezing out before you mix, if you dont, it wont cure properly
Apply the epoxy around the base of the post. Try not to get any on top, if you do, make sure to wipe it off.

Set that aside and let that cure.

Mark and drill out the other top hole.
Place it inside the helmet, and mark the helmet
Spot with hot glue and secure the post, remove the template
Mix up more epoxy and apply around the base of the post.
Let that cure
Rinse and repeat for the next hole at the top of the T portion of the visor

I had to sand down some of the fiberglass cloth so that the posts would sit flush.

I absolutely love that little rotary adapter. I have had it for years, but never had a need for it. Good thing i have 2 rotary tools, cuz i and never taking that adapter off.

The next hole was a bit trickier.
The hot glue had already cure by the time I got everything lined up on the 4th hole, so had to use gorilla glue for the remaining posts.

Because of the slight bowing I had to make sure that template was near flush once installed.
A few scraps of plywood gave me the leverage needed to clamp everything in place

And that was the process for the remaining holes

Mark the template.
Drill the hole
Place the template in the helmet
Mark the helmet
Remove the template
Install the post and apply glue
Reinstall the template
Clamp the template until the glue cures
Remove the template
Mix and apply epoxy
Rinse and repeat

Now, i could have recessed the posts by using the rotary tool, but I had an idea.
I used gallery glass leading strips, as a kind of weather striping. The adhesive on these strips is not terribly sticky, so once they were trimmed to size I glued them in place.

I will have to redo them later, because I cant glue in a straight line
Now that all the posts are in place, I grab some washers and install the tops of the chicago screws. Always check your work.

Now on to the visor
I put down some painter tape, then trace the template.

Once cut, I snap the visor.
Note: there is a film on both sides of the visor so it won't actually snap, I had to cut the film on the other side.

Line up the drill bit with the marks on the visor and drill some holes.
Mark front and back. It’s a sure bet that if you reverse the visor it wont line up with the posts in the helmet.

Grab the washers and screws again and check my work.

It's a lot of steps, but as long as you don't skip anything and only do 1 post at a time, success should be assured.

This is a stellar tutorial, whether you intended it that way or not. Bucket's looking good, too, vod. Keep up the great work!

The Bearded Mando

thank you so much  :8):

I watched all three YouTube videos and I'm super impressed! I was planning on buying a cast helmet but you have inspired me to try my hand at making my own! Looking forward to rest of your video series!! Thanks for sharing your knowledge to all us Mando kit First Timers and the rest of the community!!

The Bearded Mando

thank you so much, I like helping people with their kits.
Covid19 may shut down the Armor Parties, but i can still inspire other thanks to you tube.

Very helpful, thank you.   :like: 

Don't cry because it is over, smile because it happened. -Dr. Seuss

The Bearded Mando

Earcaps
Started out by printing page 5 of the earcap patterns
https://www.thedentedhelmet.com/forums/threads/boba-fett-helmet-blueprints-templates.3721/
I just cut out the base, traced it onto some scrap bucket, and cut it out.

I grabbed the original helmet outer shell and cut out the pattern for the range finder side.
This pattern is going to flesh out my earcaps.

I have a broken tape measure that i plan to use for the tops of my earcaps.

Just gotta see how much of the pattern i will need.
I grab some scrap 2mm styrene and start cutting out parts

I used hot glue to hold the styrene together while i cut the remaining parts out. I will cut them
loose later once i am happy with everything.
I had to widen the sides there to account for the angle.

Line everything up on the helmet, always check you work.

Happy with that, i duplicate everything for the other side. Always mark your template and keep them laid out correctly, it will save a headache down the
line.

I mark and cut a hole, this will help me to be able to hear while wearing the bucket.

I found this at a thrift store, cost me a buck. Plenty of mesh for all kinds of things

Now comes the fun part of sanding everything, making sure left and right sides are the same.

and making sure i have nice clean corners.
Find yourself a good playlist to listen to while sanding.
The HU https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCs6vRDdkZ8bP8Xt6WHbvrwA

My sanding block is a chunk of Ύ” gatorboard. Just really dense foam board with adhesive on
one side.
I made a little sanding stick from some scrap styrene that also had adhesive on it.

Lots of sanding
Now to fill in some of the gaps, sluper glue and baking soda and more sanding.

The dollar store can be a great source for sheets of plastic in the form of for rent signs.

Great for adding details, textures or filling small gaps.

With everthing sanded and prepped, i can start assemble of my earcaps
E-6000 and clamps, and the earcaps start to take shape

The narrow strips there are going to help the sides to be at the angle i want them.

A spot of hot glue to hold the sides in place while the super glue takes hold

I had to grind out a bit of the tops to make them sit flush.

I will making these earcaps so that they can be removable, so i tape them in place and drill
some holes

I use some scrap sign plastic to fill the gap at the bottom, this will make the bottom more secure
and save on bondo sanding.

with the bottom of the earcap secured, i turn my focus to the tops
I needed plastic that was thin and would curl around the base and flex against the tops.
so i cut up a soda bottle.

first i cut and glue it to the base.

then i tighten the screws and add glue and baking soda the screws.

Once that is all set, i glue and clamp the tops to the base.

then i hit it with some spray paint to mark the hole that i needed to cut on the helmet

now tha my earcaps are 1 piece it's time for bondo
i lay down some painters tape on the helmet to save on cleanup.

make sure to do bondo in small batches.
about a golf ball sized amount of bondo to about a pea sized amount of hardener.
I prefer to use the red cream hardener as it is easier to tell when it is properly mixed.
Also be aware that bondo will set faster when it's warmer and slower when it's cooler.
dont just glom the bondo on and wait for it to cure, you will regret all the additional time sanding.
i always keept a cheap deck of cards on hand for working with bondo
i get them from the dollar store or the thrift store.
use the cards to scrap off the excess bondo, and a knife to trim it down further once it starts to set.

i went thru 3 bondo applications before i had an idea.
why not add the bondo to the earcap, then tighten it in place and scrap off what oozes out.

That did the trick. yay  :like:

now that all the gaps are filled and my earcaps sit flush with the helmet, it time for sanding and cutting the earcap details into the bondo.

i sprayed on a coat of primer to see how things were going.

i have some areas that need spot putty, but other than that i am very happy with them.
I will dress them up a bit later when i start to add details to the rest of the helmet.

Bryn Cin'Prudii

• ~What killed the dinosaurs? THE ICE AGE!
  • Awards Airmobile brigade member 40+ hrs of Charity Work Shock Infantry Brigade Member Special Weapons EnviroOps
Great work again! scratch built helmets are a favorite of mine.

Curious that you didnt fill the screw ports on the measuring tape when you had the bondo out.

Cerar Clan OM#1935 Tri-Division Brigade Member#262

The Bearded Mando

that will come later. not sure yet if i am going to fill them in and make them flush, or use the holes to mount something else.

New post from The Bearded Mando? Yes, I devoured that in seconds! Fantastic job as always and so well documented. Great job!

The Bearded Mando

thank you so much  :like:

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!