Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

First Helmet build -WIP pics posted

• 15 Replies
First Helmet build -WIP pics posted
« on: Jul 15, 2020, 03:48 PM »
Hello fellow Mercs!  I am working on my first ever helmet build and am Stuck with the cheek bone and cheek plate assembly.  I do not have a heat gun so I can't get them to bend properly and fit in the space I made for them.  I am making my build from a plastic bucket.  Any suggestions would be great.

« Last Edit: Jul 27, 2020, 02:48 PM by Gomer0605 » Logged

Jono999DERP

• Tahl Ca'Tra
Re: First Helmet build
« Reply #1 on: Jul 16, 2020, 10:20 AM »
try boiling water, that should soften it a bit

Modern Era Pilot

The Bearded Mando

• Run if you must, but you will only die tired.
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #2 on: Jul 17, 2020, 12:58 PM »
do you have pics of the cheeks? are they custom or are they standard templates.
The cheeks can be the bane of anyone building their first helmet.
be careful with boiling water.
try running the parts under hot tap water first  to see how moldable the plastic gets. if you can get it to reshape, dunk it it cold water when you get it where you want it.
if you do go with the boiling water method, you might want to make that pot dedicated for crafting and not for cooking.

« Reply #3 on: Jul 18, 2020, 10:55 AM »
They are standard templates.  Nothing custom as of it.   You can see that I can't get the bend I need so I am hoping if i heat it up I can mold it the way I need to.  they sit about 1/4 -1/2 back on each side.

« Last Edit: Jul 27, 2020, 04:00 PM by Gomer0605 » Logged
« Reply #4 on: Jul 18, 2020, 01:22 PM »
Thanks for the tips I think I got the angle right now and I began to fill in the edges for the dome.  First time using Bondo!!

« Last Edit: Jul 27, 2020, 03:58 PM by Gomer0605 » Logged
« Reply #5 on: Jul 27, 2020, 02:48 PM »
Got the cheek bones on and began to fill and smooth with bondo, might use drywall mud to fill in some small cracks.  Let me know how it is looking.

« Last Edit: Jul 27, 2020, 03:56 PM by Gomer0605 » Logged

LearRigh

• Ka'ramiit
Re: First Helmet build -WIP pics posted
« Reply #6 on: Jul 27, 2020, 03:05 PM »
I'm not seeing any images, imgur can be a pain with image addresses on mobile.  Try going to it on desktop mode to copy the BBC code

Cabur Akaata #200
« Reply #7 on: Jul 27, 2020, 04:02 PM »
I'm not seeing any images, imgur can be a pain with image addresses on mobile.  Try going to it on desktop mode to copy the BBC code

Thanks for letting me know they were showing on my end but I must not of uploaded them correctly, hopefully this is resolved now think it should show up.

LearRigh

• Ka'ramiit
« Reply #8 on: Jul 27, 2020, 04:15 PM »
 :like:
Good to go now
And looking good so far, kudos to you scratch builders, I don't have the creative vision or patience for that.

Cabur Akaata #200

The Bearded Mando

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #9 on: Jul 27, 2020, 08:01 PM »
Be careful with the drywall mud, no sure how well it will bond with the bondo and or plastic. Where are the small cracks? Couldnt see them in the pics. That much bondo on the dome may have cracked while it was curing.

« Reply #10 on: Aug 01, 2020, 03:56 PM »
Think i have the foundation done now, on to the ears and back key port.  I do need help with these stencils.  I am using buckets and the stencils I am finding are very confusing.  I do NOT want a range finder as my Mando will be a light armor mainly using daggers and one small blaster

The Bearded Mando

« Reply #11 on: Aug 01, 2020, 07:05 PM »
Having a rangefinder is not required. You can just mirror the templates from the other side and have the both the same. Or make custom earcaps. I used a broken tape measure as a base for the earcaps on my latest helmet.

« Reply #12 on: Aug 26, 2020, 06:43 PM »
Got the ear plates on and rough coat of paint to see where I need more filler.  let me know how its looking so far.  I will add more color after i got it smoothed over.

Need a color scheme though, my mando is mostly hand to hand with daggers and blades.  Want him to be a Sith/Jedi hunter.  Thinking of the Name Rah'Jeem as well.

« Last Edit: Aug 26, 2020, 06:47 PM by Gomer0605 » Logged

The Bearded Mando

« Reply #13 on: Aug 26, 2020, 08:03 PM »
Lookin like yer jeades in the right direction  :like:
Got some filler primer and sanding in your future.
Noticed some spots where the paint started to run.
Do a dusting coat or 2, then let it dry and sand it. 200 grit or so.
Then go to a higher grit.
Repeat as needed.

« Reply #14 on: Sep 14, 2020, 06:48 PM »
Got some color on it now need a visor to put in and attach the top plastic piece over it then touch up!  How's it looking guys?  Going for a woodland camo type color scheme.  Im prety proud of my first ever scratch build.  Never made anything like this before!!!

« Reply #15 on: Nov 08, 2020, 01:53 PM »
so final product of the helmet.  let me know how it looks!  started my armor as well.

I have a black hood as well I flip up but its not in this image.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!