Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

My Last-minute Darksaber, with lights!

• 0 Replies
My Last-minute Darksaber, with lights!
« on: Mar 12, 2020, 03:38 PM »
In my "furiously build props the week before a convention" spree, I ended up also making a Darksaber! Like everything, it's due for a rework, but I'm satisfied that I got it working in time (read: soldering wires in a hotel room). I'm super happy with how it turned out, so I thought I'd share!

The entirety of it is hastily 3D printed (including the blade), with the fastest spray paint job I've done yet (thanks, Sabine armor, for the level-ups. :sabine:)

The Guts of the Blinkenlights

I haven't posted a video, but the blade has two light segments: Blade and Emitter. When it starts up, the emitter glows first, then the blade, which creates a neat "kinda probably actually firing up a blade" look. The "animation" is programmable, so I may tweak it in the future when I re-do the LEDs.

At the heart of it is a fun circuit I originally made so another Mando friend of mine can have fans in his helmet that aren't blast-your-face-off or not:

^ The one on the left went off to provide fan control in a helmet, as it was intended to. These are basically the Arduino PWM sketch but on their own circuit board as a drop-in solution for programmable light/fan/whatever control. The one on the right is shoved down the hilt of the Darksaber, and handles the lights on the two output channels, given a 9V battery. Don't worry, there are plans to Over Engineer(tm) this further.

Pending the feedback from my friend about whether or not the fan-controlling part of the fan controller was useful, I might actually refine these tiny circuits more and throw them to the masses.

Anyway, that's all I got. Thanks for reading!

(Oh, and commentary welcome. I'm 98% sure I put the pommel on backwards.)

« Last Edit: Apr 21, 2020, 05:32 AM by MauAbata » Logged

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!