Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

My first wip and first helmet

• 11 Replies

Kenoh Ra'h

• May the torches of the fallen guide your way home
My first wip and first helmet
« on: Mar 15, 2020, 06:46 PM »
Recently picked up a 3d printer for the same of  restarting my kit build that hit a rut 4 years agon.

Recently finished a print using an April Storm file she offers free on her profile...

I still have a lot of work ahead of me but i guess thats why they call it a wip

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.

Kenoh Ra'h

Re: My first wip and first helmet
« Reply #1 on: Mar 26, 2020, 03:23 AM »
Got home a bit early from work last night and noticed a package from amazon had arrived.
It was the adhesive i was told would work well for building and 3d prints..

With that said i got a my helmet glued up and i am one step  closer in my build.

Still needs gaps filled.
Sanded.
Primed.
Sanded.
Painted.
Visor.

Still a slower process than I would like, but it will get there.

And then I can bring you  E.R  warm or I can bring you in cold.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.

Kenoh Ra'h

« Reply #2 on: Mar 27, 2020, 03:59 AM »
Couldn't fall back to sleep due to anxiety ...so...i started doing some bondo.  Will need sanding obviously.. filled in areas with seems or obvious larger print lines due to curves (cheek areas ) will do more sometime today  if i can manage to fall back to sleep for a bit (who am i kidding..even if i dont fall asleep ill do more, id  keep going as it is but i dont want to screw up due to tiredness)

Grimstuff

• Ayyy
« Reply #3 on: Mar 27, 2020, 02:19 PM »
Looks like a pretty clean print, fairly thick too. Do you know if it's 100% infil? Should be quite sturdy if it is. Will serve you very well.

Also, looks like you're fairly into it already so probably a bad idea to change it up now, but if you have any trouble with that bondo a good product to try for 3d prints is Smooth-On's XTC-3D. Pretty much a self-leveling epoxy coating, gives great print line fill that only needs a fairly light sanding.

Kenoh Ra'h

« Reply #4 on: Mar 27, 2020, 06:32 PM »
Honestly im not sure what the infil is...i think is around 60? Maybe...? But i know its not 100%...its fairly light yet a pretty solid print..

If and when i say if i mean when...i make another helmet i maybe try the stuff you mentioned instead of the bondo...bits not horrible but i like trying options to see what works best..

I sanded from last night ..added a little more..primered....added a little more..sanded and prime red a little again today. Will still need some work  with sanding as my bonehead picked up 1500 grit and didnt pay attention till after i was already using is..  DOH!

Awall

• None of us are as smart as ALL of us
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 267th Rapid Assault
« Reply #5 on: Mar 27, 2020, 07:12 PM »
Ah sanding is the fun part.  I actually had to go back over my finish painted bucket and re sand areas I thought I did a good enough job on in the first place.  Mine is all 3D printed and plastic welded together.  Keep up the good work!

Rancor Clan     #2385
Oribru Akaata #56   Emergency Battalion

Kenoh Ra'h

« Reply #6 on: Apr 08, 2020, 02:59 AM »
Slow and small update  on the bucket....

Got as far as i was going to with bondo and sanding without a supply of bondo and hand sander (i cant sand as consistantly as id like by hand) ..i did dona bit more of both since the primer pic. But more primer also..

Silver base coat...toothpaste and salt..black layer..

Since these pics were taken i did use a bit more toothpaste and salt in areas a secondary color is going.

By the weekend doing a little here and there between work..aside from padding and visor  bucket will be close to done..

Kenoh Ra'h

« Reply #7 on: Apr 12, 2020, 09:16 PM »
More progress...
Thursday little more toothpaste
Friday tapped off...gave a quick layer of red..

Saturday another layer of red..

Today.pull tape..clean off toothpaste and salt..

Still some work to do..obvious is visor..
Bit of other paint will be added...little scuffing here and there maybe..

Seems to be posting them out of order..and on my phone i dont have the patience to sort it out.sorry.. but yeah..there's an update.lol

« Reply #8 on: Apr 13, 2020, 11:23 AM »
Hey that paint job is looking good! I'm using this same Aprilstorm file for mine... good to see progress on yours.

Kenoh Ra'h

« Reply #9 on: Apr 14, 2020, 03:18 AM »
Hey that paint job is looking good! I'm using this same Aprilstorm file for mine... good to see progress on yours.

Did some little scuffing today after i got back from pulling a double and work and pulling shift at the decon  at the station .. not  enough to warrant a photo but its coming along..

Last night between calls i ordered a visor from kalevala visors so hopefully that arrives relatively sooner than 3 weeks. Lol   ..

Started to work on some of my other hard parts as when i originally made them  it was a little lax and no weathering and damage done..  flak and flight suit were also ordered. 

I have some work ahead of me.lol

Kenoh Ra'h

« Reply #10 on: Apr 26, 2020, 02:21 AM »
Well.. after some feedback on my abdominal armor i took that information into consideration for other aspects of my kit... primarily the helmet...

When i first painted I was happy..i liked it..but..it did seem a bit much but i wasnt sure..  i took a step back and scaled the damage down a bit and now Im much happier with it...

The outside photos above are the before pictures.. the inside pictures are the after photos...   

Still a bit more to do on it ..need to finish my cert numbers on the back..first two were way bigger so chucked em to scale down....

Not sure what else to do currently though cause i dont want to hit a point of over doing it again..
 Waiting foe my  visor to come in...

Kenoh Ra'h

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2020, 02:10 AM »
Juuuuuuuuuuuuuuuust a little excited my visor came in on tuesday while at work..came home and installed  ..needs a liiiiitle trim and to attach it better inside the helmet ..helmet also needs some padding...

Amounted armor with painters tape just for the photo... im happy...yaaay  me..lol..

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!