Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Vry's Helmet WIP

• 15 Replies
Re: Vry's Helmet WIP
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2020, 02:15 PM »
The helmet is finally complete! I decided to hold of on posting more until it was done, as it just needed paint, since my last update.
As always, a good silver layer for the base:

After running some tests on some scrap parts that failed when printing, I really liked the red I had. I wasnt planning on using it on much more than minor trim parts, but I really liked it, and wanted more red. So, the first coat was going to be all red:

And this is where I begin to mess up. I put far too many damage spot on the red, so there were many spots where the silver would show through. I then wanted some spots with just red, and I put far to many, giving me this monstrosity:

I have a few other pictures, but I'll spare everyone the horror of them.

I then really messed up with when I went to cover some of them up. I though using tape to mask the areas where I wanted to keep would be enough, but I was then left with really bad tape lines where it was clear a second yellow coat had been applied to some spots, and not others. It was ugly. I dont have any pictures of this stage. Unfortunately, in an attempt to sand the lines down, I removed most of the silver from the exposed spots, most of the grey you can see is majority primer, with little bits of the metallic coat. I carefully masked the spots again, and ran a third coat of yellow, which with some sanding, evened the yellows out a bit.

I then added the cream and black to the helmet and ears:

And of course, a black wash to finish it all off:

The black wash highlighted some of the old tape marks I though I had removed, but it adds a randomness that I kinda like.
Lastly, with the visor in:

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!