Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Bucket Time

• 18 Replies
Re: Bucket Time
« Reply #15 on: Apr 07, 2020, 07:40 PM »
Today I jumped into the world of epoxy resin.  I think I like it so far.  I picked one that has a very forgiving 40 minute work time.  For me, that was not a problem.  If you're already experienced with this stuff then go with what you like.  I cut up some strips of fiberglass cloth, mixed my epoxy resin according to the instructions on the bottle, and applied it to the inside cheeks of both helmets.  I also added it to the inside of the dome of the second helmet.  Hot glue (even the high temp stuff is iffy) will not hold up to the heat here in FL in the middle of summer, so a bit of preventive maintenance now to avoid a disaster later.  I put the first layer on and waited the six hour cure time that my epoxy/resin required before I added my second layer.  It is now curing in the garage.  I'll have some pictures of the finished product tomorrow.

Don't cry because it is over, smile because it happened. -Dr. Seuss
« Reply #16 on: Apr 09, 2020, 09:00 PM »
So here are the newly epoxy resined insides of my buckets.

I had a small accident with the one bucket right before I put the epoxy resin on.  I ended up taping it into the correct shape for the resin to cure.  Then I set about fixing it with bondo.  Almost back to workable.

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2020, 08:26 AM »
I realized that I hadn't posted my progress on this in a while, so, here's where I am at.
I got the three layers of primer and sanding done (500, 800, 1,000 grit sand paper) then I got my silver coat on both helmets.

Then I put on my light grey base paint. Taped and put the on white layer, changed the tape and added the black highlights (or lowlights?) to one of the buckets.  Because the two are different designs, the paint on the pair will be different.

Then I give a black then a brown wash to the one helmet.  The other is still sitting taped waiting for the black.

The next full day I have off I think I will try and insert my visor. 

The Bearded Mando

• Run if you must, but you will only die tired.
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2020, 06:22 PM »
love the paint scheme. Well done  :like:

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!