Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

WIP Custom Mando (Inspired by SuperCommando Captain)

• 9 Replies

CaTra Dral

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Clan Growth Force Hunter Brigade Member 267th Rapid Assault
WIP Custom Mando (Inspired by SuperCommando Captain)
« on: Mar 25, 2020, 10:47 PM »
I've been encouraged by my Ruus'alor to start a WIP, so here it goes!

I just got done building a Dalek, so naturally I wanted to start another project. Because, why not? This build has been evolving, and I know it will continue to do so. At first, I was going to build a kit that was similar to the Mandalorian; even bought my bucket and printed and finished some gauntlets and printed two blasters.

But... Then I started watching Clone Wars. And I absolutely loved the SuperCommando Captain. I decided it was worth it to have as a second kit to work on while finishing my first, since a canon build was going to be a major undertaking. Until I realized I was not going to be able to do that character because he is male and there is absolutely no way I can make myself look male. It was depressing. But, I have an awesome clan and an awesome Ruus'alor. He and I had been discussing the plan on making a custom mando that incorporates those elements I like, including horns, shoulder spikes, and the paint scheme. I'm actually a bit happier this way, even though I don't get the horns I really like, I can go with a more natural look and use the black soft goods I'd accumulated. I like the black more than tan anyway.

I want the horns to look more like the Zabrak and less metal. I think I'm going to do short bone horns. I actually did go ahead and order those horns, but I'm going to put them on my first bucket. I may just put it on my wall (to go with the cyberman head I just finished printing).

The color ideas I'm going with are black, red and gray plates, black soft goods and a red visor. I have ordered one of the metallic ones from Kalevala (enough for two; I'm going to install the other in my original bucket). I'm waiting on my deathwatch helmet from Imperial Surplus. I'm going to do a cape that can be either both shoulders or one, so I have the option to do a jetpack later on down the road (after I finish printing them; that's going to take forever!). I'm also going to do a loincloth for now, may look into other options down the road but I don't really want a cod piece.

I have now printed the gauntlets and applied the first layer of spot putty after sanding. I've also printed my Westar 35s.

One thing is, I am having a bit of trouble finding a good set of deathwatch templates. I was going to use Bo Katan's plates, but since I'm using a mannequin for my chest armor, I may go with the male style deathwatch plates. I still can't find those either. I'm sure it's just a matter of looking harder.

Progress will be fairly slow since our clan can't do any armor parties right now and I am waiting on some of my other goods. But, I am trying to at least eke forward and I know eventually I'll get done. I finished the Dalek in 6 months; the goal is to be done by DragonCon this year. I'm looking forward to seeing this come to life!

Brigades Member:
Force Hunter/ Demolitions

Bo-Katan Rebels Season 4 WIP

Bo-Katan Live Action WIP

CaTra Dral

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Clan Growth Force Hunter Brigade Member 267th Rapid Assault
Re: WIP Custom Mando (Inspired by SuperCommando Captain)
« Reply #1 on: Mar 29, 2020, 06:51 PM »
I got quite a bit done the past few days. I think my gauntlets are nearly done!

I originally was going to do a shiny kit, because I didn't want to weather it. When I changed over to this kit, I decided it needed to be weathered. So, gritting my teeth and taking a deep breath, that's what I did.

I started with the glove pieces, since they were the easiest to fix.

Then, after liking the results, I did the gauntlets.

Final result!

I did a layer of base silver, added toothpaste, did a layer of black, cleaned off the toothpaste and applied a new amount, and then did a flat iron silver. I think I'm going to do a black wash to tone it down just a bit more, but I don't have any alcohol and I need to find my acrylic paint.

Finally,  I applied spot putty to both Westar-35s and did a layer of primer.

I want to print a Westar Carbine next, but I can't get to my maker space as I'm coughing and they are using the printers to make face shields anyway. So the last of my jetpack and the Carbine will have to wait.

Later tonight, I'll probably finish sanding my other blaster and prime them both so I can start painting them tomorrow. It was just so dang windy today!

Brigades Member:

Bo-Katan Live Action WIP

CaTra Dral

« Reply #2 on: Mar 30, 2020, 10:34 PM »
I didn’t get a lot accomplished today; wasn’t feeling fantastic. But, I did get both blasters primed and the first color on; I need a respirator to use the graphite and that is down at the maker space. I may try dry brushing with silver paint instead.

I also tried a black wash of acrylic and water on my gauntlet and glove pieces.  I didn’t see a big change, but I honestly think that I’m good with how it is. I’m going to glue in all of the resin pieces and add the magnet closures. I’m excited about that!

Brigades Member:

Bo-Katan Live Action WIP

CaTra Dral

« Reply #3 on: Mar 31, 2020, 10:00 PM »
Another day without a ton accomplished, but I at least did a bit. I guess that is what it takes to move forward!

I glued on the rockets and the buttons. Those will be lit by LED. I also attached the glove armor onto my gloves. They used to be my leather riding gloves, and the best part is they are touch screen compatible. Instead of buying new gloves to weather, I just bought new riding gloves and repurposed my old ones. Natural weathering due to normal wear! Lol.

I also added magnet closures to my gauntlets. That took a bit of trial and error and I ended up using 4 magnets for each one.

Not sure what tomorrow will bring. Maybe trying to make my girth belt.

Brigades Member:

Bo-Katan Live Action WIP

CaTra Dral

« Reply #4 on: Apr 01, 2020, 09:36 PM »
Because we can’t do a real armor party, my clan put on a virtual build party tonight. We discussed an easy way to do a girth belt, which was perfect as that’s what I needed to do next. I was able to knock this out in a few hours. All that is left is to add the elastic in the back and it will be good to go!

Brigades Member:

Bo-Katan Live Action WIP

CaTra Dral

« Reply #5 on: Apr 02, 2020, 01:09 PM »
I couldn't use the graphite I bought on my blasters because it says to use a mask and my respirator is at the maker space. So, I tried my hand at dry brushing! I love it, because it matches the brush style from the animated series.

I want to start my cape, but I have no idea how to proceed. I only have rudimentary sewing skills and no pattern. I do have 2 yards of black monk's cloth. I would like for it to either be one shoulder or two depending on if I have a jet pack on. On to research how in the world to do it, I go.

Brigades Member:

Bo-Katan Live Action WIP

CaTra Dral

« Reply #6 on: Apr 03, 2020, 09:55 AM »
Yesterday, I finished out by starting my Kama and doing my cape. I have the rough shape sewn on the cape, still not sure on the attachment.

I did the back piece for the Kama, but I think I want to add some side panels to cover my hips.

I ironed down and sewed the edges to make it look a bit less... fluffy.

The Kama is monks cloth backed by duck cloth. My cape is only the monk's cloth, but I'm thinking about backing it with the duck cloth for a little more strength. I don't know why I chose black when I have two super fluffy dogs; a lint roller is going to have to be with me at every troop!

I also dry brushed some of my accessories; My detonators, the beskar ingot, and a tracker. The beskar is missing something, mostly because I think I over spot puttied it and lost some of the damascus look. I am going to black wash it to make the silver stand out more. If it doesn't work, I'm going to sand back to the spot putty and see if I am able to recapture the look.

The pieces in the detonator are 3d printed, but I am going to change them out for cut and shaped acrylic instead. The problem with clear PETG is that no matter how much you sand it, you will still see the print lines. Since I want to light it up, I can't cover it in spot putty. So I'll use the laser cutter to cut out the acrylic and then heat form it to the shape of the pieces I printed. I'll then frost them and stick a red LED in there.

I found my deathwatch templates (thanks so much to the member who supplied it!), but I don't have the ability to print out on ledger size paper. So I used the online printing services from Staples. It will be here on the 15th. I'd previously cut out the galaxies templates, but I changed the design I wanted so I may end up using them for trauma plating. I'm not sure yet.

The plan for today is to create a segmented cod. Down the line after approval, I want to go for the force hunter brigade, and I know I'll need one then. I had contemplated just a loin cloth, but I like the segmented cod so I may as well make one now.

Brigades Member:

Bo-Katan Live Action WIP

CaTra Dral

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2020, 09:12 AM »
I'm not sure if this is supposed to go in a new thread, but I'll be honest I don't feel like making one so it will all go together!

I finished the exterior of my helmet, except for adding some support screws to the horns. My Ruus'alor painted the details on the top of the bucket, and I did the rest. He did a fantastic job and I'm so appreciative!

I had some issues installing the visor, thankfully he was able to save that as well. I'm so thankful for my clan, haha. I have so much left to do and I'm really ready to be able to go to armor build parties again. But hopefully this weekend I'll be able to cut some of my armor out.

I also forgot to add that I repainted my gauntlets. I didn't like the silver color. I've started using the dry brushing technique on my armor because I feel like it weathers it well.

Finally, I did the bounty pucks. I need to add some LEDs and it will be done!

« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 09:16 AM by CaTra Dral » Logged
Brigades Member:

Bo-Katan Live Action WIP

trashcanmando

• This is all Karen Traviss' fault. they/them
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2020, 09:17 AM »
This is looking awesome, I love your gauntlets! The fabric pattern for your kama is very cool. You're spot on with the dry brushing, looks exactly like the style in the series. Keep up the great work!

CaTra Dral

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2020, 10:14 AM »
Thanks so much! Once I started dry brushing, I got excited because like you said it matched the series.

I am going to add some red on the edge of the Kama. I’ve never done bias tape before, so this should be fun lol.

Brigades Member:

Bo-Katan Live Action WIP

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!