Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

S3 Sabine Wren WIP (my first Mando kit! Please help!)

• 2 Replies

Jem Ruyaliit

• This is the way
Hello there!  :sabine:

I'm super pumped to officially get started on my first ever Mando kit! I decided to go with Season 3 Sabine Wren. I'm definitely a rookie in this, so please bear with me!

I've done lots of thorough research and have put together a list of everything needed for Sabine.  I bought some PVC elbows for the shoulder armor, and I have a sheet of Sintra on its way. I also ordered a pair of pants and I'm hoping they'll work out. Fingers crossed! I'm not entirely sure if they'll match the color in the picture, so I'll post a picture of them when they arrive, which should be very soon.

I found and cut out templates for Sabine's armor from Eitanya on DeviantArt. I'm probably going to 3D print the gauntlets at my local library when everything opens up again. I'd love to get feedback from everyone to make sure these armor templates are sized properly!

Also, I've been searching for boots, and I found a few options. Of the three boot choices I found, which do you think would have the best chance of getting approved? The first pair is a bit slouchy, but I could possibly find a way to make them straighter...

Option #1:

Option #2:

Option #3:

Thank you in advance, everyone!  :sabine:

« Last Edit: Apr 04, 2020, 01:04 PM by Jem Ruyaliit » Logged
All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us ~ J.R.R. Tolkien

WIP Thread: https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=189018.0

Jem Ruyaliit

• This is the way
Re: S3 Sabine Wren WIP (first Mando kit!)
« Reply #2 on: Sep 26, 2020, 02:57 PM »
 :sabine: 9/26/20 SABINE UPDATE (aka long overdue!):

Hello vode! As you can see, Iím super terrible at updating forum threads. Iíve been plugging away over the past five months on my S3 Sabine kit, working on it whenever I get the chance. Iíve also been more active on the MMCC Facebook group, but I finally resolved to update my WIP thread with pictures and all!  :sabine:

After cutting out the templates for my armor, I ordered a sheet of sintra from here: https://www.jpplus.com/sintra-bright-white-sheet

While I waited on the sintra, I went ahead and bought a pair of boots for Sabine. I got Dr. Schollís Check It Wedge Boots. Hereís a link:
https://www.dsw.com/en/us/product/dr.-scholls-check-it-wedge-boot/463467?cm_mmc=CSE-_-GPS-_-G_Shopping_Boots%20%26%20Booties-_-New_Boots%20%26%20Booties&cadevice=c&gclid=Cj0KCQjwzbv7BRDIARIsAM-A6-2qG2e2pYWn_YcQNR88ImkGRJjo42-ObmLiNpbXV9XBizQehAOQWfAaApV9EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

I cut off the straps, painted the heels, zipper, and studs black, and then used acrylic paint and splattered on the colors to match those on Sabineís boots.

I then got the sintra and cut out all the pieces for her armor following the templates from Eitanya on DeviantArt.

With the help of my dad and his oscillating cutting tool and bench grinder, I got the shape of the shoulder armor pieces cut out and buffed. Once I was happy with the shape, I spray-painted them silver.

For weathering on the shoulder pieces (as well as the rest of the armor), after I sprayed them silver, I put toothpaste on the areas where I wanted weathering to show through. You can use a toothpick to drag out the edges and make them more jagged. I then sprayed on the remaining colors and then wiped off the toothpaste to reveal weathering underneath!
Back to the shoulder pieces, I learned the hard way that I couldnít spray on too many layers of paint, or else it would start to get a ďwrinklyĒ appearance. So I ended up having to redo the shoulder pieces after spraying on too many layers. And I was close to finishing them too when I had to restart which was incredibly frustrating! But after a deep breath and remembering the end-goal for this costume, I simply went ahead and sanded the shoulder pieces clean. I was ready to try again. And this time, no paint wrinkled! I didn't get pictures of every single stage, but I got most of them:

Voila! The shoulder pieces were done and I was very happy with how they turned out!

I got a pair of black fingerless gloves from Amazon (link here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DNXB3NJ/) and splattered them with paint to match Sabine's.

I went ahead and used my dadís heat gun to mold and shape most of the sintra armor pieces. I shaped the shin armor, the boot armor, the knee armor, the collar armor, the hand armor, and the elbow armor. Definitely use proper safety precautions if you go this route! I was outside while heating these pieces and wore a face mask. For the shin armor, I made sure to wear my Sabine boots to help get the right shape. Once they were done, I spray-painted them all with silver. Here's some of them:

Once the pieces were properly shaped and sprayed with silver, I did the elbow pieces first. Applied toothpaste to mark off weathering, sprayed them with purple, wiped the toothpaste off, added another layer of toothpaste to mark off silver and purple weathering, sprayed orangeish-red on top, and then wiped off the toothpaste. Elbow pieces complete! Here's a picture of one set:

I did sort of the same process with the hand armor, and used painterís tape to mark off certain sections, and did use a paint brush for some of the small details.

Same gig with the collar armor. One layer at a time and used painterís tape and a paintbrush to get those details done!

Here is the knee armor.

Because Iím not experienced enough with sewing to make my own flight-suit for Sabine, I went ahead and ordered the top and pants from Eitanya Designs on Etsy and they are INCREDIBLE!! They fit really well and look fantastic! Link to her shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/EitanyaDesigns

Question for you all. I cut out and shaped the pieces for the chest armor, and I would greatly appreciate your feedback on sizing. Theyíre not fully secure because theyíre only being held on with tape and sheer luck at this point, but do I need to trim them up at all?

Let me know if I need to trim them or theyíre good to go and I can start painting them! Constructive criticism and feedback are most welcome on all the other parts of Sabine's kit as well! Thank you all!  :sabine:

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us ~ J.R.R. Tolkien

WIP Thread: https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=189018.0

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!