Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Bade Duun - Force Hunter

• 46 Replies

Bade Duun

• Credits talk. I do not.
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Force Hunter Brigade Member Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023.
Bade Duun - Force Hunter
« on: May 12, 2020, 03:31 PM »
Still new to the scene here, but thought I'd go ahead and put my WIP out there. Most softparts obtained, but need to do some adjustments on leather belt to accommodate girth belt.

-Couple of setups with greeblies for a breather.
-Armor based chromed, masked and base coated. Some more sanding a little weathering.

All suggestions welcome and appreciated.

« Last Edit: Nov 18, 2021, 12:47 PM by Bade Duun » Logged

Kurz

• Awards Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023.
Re: Bade Duun - First Kit WIP
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2020, 04:28 PM »
I'm no app team nor OM, so take what i'm saying as a personal opinion.
First of all, I really dig your soft parts. You did an awesome job. Was saying you're missing one waist item, but saw it's already planned.
At the moment there are no CRLs for post imperial Mando (that I know), so it's hard to tell what's working and what not, (so usual problems collar/no collar, cod or not) but I'd say your chest piece might be slightly on the little side.
Anyway your paint job is awesome  :like: :like: :like: :like:

OM #2524
Cabur Akaata (Protector Battalion) #133
Oribru Akaata (Emergency Battalion) #31
M.V.S. #89
L.O.B. #66

Bade Duun

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Force Hunter Brigade Member Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023.
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2020, 06:29 PM »
Thanks Kurz, I appreciate the feedback.

Yea, I know the CRLs aren't in at the moment for kits like this, but just couldn't myself.  Just happy to be making something, haha.

As for the the chest pieces, I wondered that too. First print I had was too long to accommodate a girth belt, so I adjusted the z-scaling.

Kurz

• Awards Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023.
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2020, 07:18 PM »
My pleasure, hope it helps  ;D

You know what? After I saw your picture without the shoulder armor... Maybe it's not the chest plate too small, maybe the vest is too big... I had a similar issue, my shoulder plates were too far from the collar and my Ruus told me that the vest should finish where your shoulder does and use shoulder flaps for the plates.
I think that around the shoulders and under the armpit there is a little "exceeding" material... might be that?

I mean, if that's the case, that would completely change the proportions. (Sorry for the bad quality, I'm on my phone XD)

Anyway since there isn't any actual CRL for this period, you should work with your Ruus

Nice leather soft parts btw, where did u find them?

« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 07:40 PM by Kurz » Logged
OM #2524
Cabur Akaata (Protector Battalion) #133
Oribru Akaata (Emergency Battalion) #31
M.V.S. #89
L.O.B. #66

Bade Duun

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2020, 08:23 PM »
Ah, I see it now. I actually put the vest together myself a year ago when I was 70lbs heavier. :8): I could make additional straps on the sides to make it more form fitting.

As for the leather parts, the belt and larger pouch I got off Etsy from Negative Dreamer Props. The smaller pouch set came from a military surplus store in Lithuania. Pouch was sandy brown originally, had to re-dye. Girth birth I made myself.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll be sure to get in touch with my Ruus.

Odran Krayt

• Aliit ori'shya tal'din (Family is more than blood)
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023.
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2020, 11:58 PM »
The Ruus'alors are being trained in Post-Imperial CRL's at the moment, and they have been shared around with recruits. Here's a link to a imgur album of screenshots of the new CRL's
Post imperial https://imgur.com/a/iH4nlBJ

B.O.M.B.  #85|L.O.B. #41|M.A. #180|MAJIC #184|B.o.B.B #028
New Death Watch Order #44|O.O.P.S! #44
ALUMINATI #053 | V.B.V #7
Odran Krayt WIP
Nexan Armories (Sales thread)
I've been doin' this since I was 10!

Bade Duun

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2020, 12:17 AM »
Awesome, thanks for sharing this.

I've also reached out to help confirm that I am on track. Better safe than sorry.

I've already started correcting the flak vest, should have it hemmed in the next day or so; crazy how different it fits all around with such a small alteration.

Kall

• Run and you'll just die tired.
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2020, 04:01 AM »
Really liking the look of that helmet, Vod. Big thing I'm noticing is that your chest armor looks too small. Your helmet looks like it's wider than the chest armor. I recommend looking at pics from the Mandalorian as a reference to how wide to make the chest armor.

Bade Duun

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2020, 07:46 AM »
Many thanks, Ruus. Appreciate the feedback.

I see what you mean now when I look side by side.

Looks like I'll be reprinting, I'll take measurements with vest and belts on for a better idea of the sizing. Could use a little width;  might have to print on its side for that.

Thanks again.

Omega

• Thread Killer
  • Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2020, 06:57 PM »
That chest piece is way too small. You should definitely print it in pieces. But I love where you're going

Killing threads since 2013

Bade Duun

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2020, 07:13 PM »
Thanks, stoked to hear I’m heading in the right direction.

Getting file prepped to run now. Luckily, I don’t have to run in pieces: my print bed can accommodate the scaling.

Will post as I get the corners rounded out on the chest piece and flak vest.

Bade Duun

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2020, 12:56 AM »
Got both the chest and abs scaled correctly, running chest first.
Another 15 hours left as of now. Will post as soon as I get it assembled.

Meanwhile, I was able to get my breach charges sanded, painted, wired and magnetized to the holster. Each click activates a different repeating timer setting.

Aran Skirata

• Ori'haat
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2020, 03:13 AM »
Those charges are AWESOME! Excellent work!  :like:

This is the way.

Bade Duun

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2020, 10:09 PM »
Preciate it!

Chest piece is finished now. Can really tell how bad it was undersized when side by side. Live and learn :boba:

While waiting on the abs section to finish, I got some quick sketches down to help plan the accent colors. I think the rustic red adds nice contrast, but the blue works well too. Also planning on making a canvas legwrap for the right shin.

Still working out the details, but I'll have it figured out when it's time to paint.

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2020, 12:09 AM »
I’m assuming you printed your charges? If so, is the file you used available online? Would love to know which one for use with my own kit.

Bade Duun

« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2020, 08:42 AM »
Yea, I printed these myself.
I got the file from Etsy, a store called Panda Props N Costumes.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/758506938/belt-breech-charges-holder-3d-stl-file?show_sold_out_detail=1&ref=anchored_listing

Bade Duun

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2020, 05:20 PM »
I’m assuming you printed your charges? If so, is the file you used available online? Would love to know which one for use with my own kit.

I did print these, I had to go through three files until I found the one I wanted. The other two didnt have large enough compartments for electronics.
My only gripe with this set was the charge holster comes in two pieces, and you have to wedge your belt in-between the two plates. Not ideal, but nothing a little heat wouldnt fix.

I got the file from Etsy, a store called Panda Props N Costumes.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/758506938/belt-breech-charges-holder-3d-stl-file?show_sold_out_detail=1&ref=anchored_listing

Let me know if you have any trouble with the link.

Bade Duun

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2020, 03:35 PM »
Finally nailed down some kit time again, and was able to get the chest/ab piece assembled and sanded for painting.

The size difference is a real slap on the head, though. Live and learn :'(

Also got tired of being oogled at by Slender-Mannequin, so I opted for One Punch Mandalorian. Made me chuckle.

Needed some smaller pouches to offset my current leather soft parts a bit; they're more geared for storage, wanted something for ammo as well. Purchased the Boba Fett replica ammo belt, came with 8 pouches.

Though the pouches are a bit oversized, they are VERY well made for pleather. Even the belt gets flying marks; it's hella thicc.
If I wasn't already covered, it would be a nice addition with some weathering and some larger pouches/holsters/etc.

After checking out a few other kits from my other vods and how much effort they put into smoothing out their armor, I decided that some of the kit needed more sanding on my end. Gave me an opportunity to make a blade harness to house my vibroknife. I'm digging it so far.

Will post more as progress continues.

« Reply #18 on: Jul 12, 2020, 09:18 AM »

Love these greeblies! Gonna have to make similar for my bucket. Did you make them yourself?

compdrag

• Awards Special Weapons EnviroOps
« Reply #19 on: Jul 12, 2020, 07:12 PM »
I have to be the bare of bad news, but you have a lot of sanding and filling to do on your items. You can see a lot of your print lines still which is not approvable. I sand mine with 220 until it seams smooth, and then I use a couple coats of the 2 in 1 filler primer it makes it look very smooth and you won't have lines. You are doing a great job so far, that is really the only thing I see that hasn't been mentioned. Keep up the work!

Awall

• None of us are as smart as ALL of us
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 267th Rapid Assault
« Reply #20 on: Jul 13, 2020, 09:33 PM »
+1 on the print lines on everything!  My print lines kept me chasing a smooth finish even after I thought I had things right!  Once I took close up pics of my parts to post I would always find new print lines I missed!  Your getting it!  Clean concept and loving it so far...keep up the good work!  Looking forward to the final product! 

PS. Loving the detail on the bucket interior

Rancor Clan     #2385
Oribru Akaata #56   Emergency Battalion

Bade Duun

« Reply #21 on: Jul 13, 2020, 09:50 PM »
+1 on the print lines on everything!  My print lines kept me chasing a smooth finish even after I thought I had things right!  Once I took close up pics of my parts to post I would always find new print lines I missed!  Your getting it!  Clean concept and loving it so far...keep up the good work!  Looking forward to the final product! 

PS. Loving the detail on the bucket interior

Appreciate the feedback and good vibes, vode.

Yea, the more and more kits I would reference for motivation/ideas/etc, the more I noticed that my sanding work was under finished and simply painting over it wasn’t doing the job. Sucked, but small win; the initial coats combined with the new coats helped fill in some of the needed needed work.

Also made a few scaling changes to my shoulders and chest armor. I’ll be sure to update soon and make sure that I’m still heading in the right direction.

« Last Edit: Jan 21, 2021, 08:45 PM by Bade Duun » Logged

Bade Duun

« Reply #22 on: Sep 13, 2020, 07:27 PM »
Long time no see, Vode. Hope you all are still doing well and staying safe.

This is the Way.

Been a little busy with a few side projects/work and trying to stay sane during the pandemic. However, I was able to get some work knocked out over the last few months, just been a bit sidetracked to post about it. Had to get back to the drawing board, wasn't happy with the color scheme or some of the armor components. Took these initial mockups to Photoshop/Illustrator to add a few extra parts to bring it all together.

I wanted add red accents, but decided that the red on the visor would be too much after putting them together with other color schemes

Once I knew what direction I was going in, it was easier to add the other soft parts. The loincloth/kama are on a snap system to the pants so that I don't have to wear an extra belt under the sash

Also got these awesome two-tones, canvas/leather WWII spats for $10.

Blaster is still in the works, hard to pick between so many. Wanted something a little different and found an unused concept McQurrie blaster 3D file om]n Etsy. The modeler did an amazing job rendering with a single sketch. Very pleased, glad I held out.

Here is where I am at now, along with a comparison to where I was at when I joined the Mercs. Not bad progress, but still got some work to do

Thanks in advance for any input. Let me know what you think about the work so far.

« Last Edit: Jan 21, 2021, 08:46 PM by Bade Duun » Logged

Zahn Va'roth

• Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
« Reply #23 on: Sep 14, 2020, 04:02 AM »
Super cool kit! I'm excited to see more post-imperial kits out there.

Bade Duun

« Reply #24 on: Sep 16, 2020, 09:46 AM »
Just installed new helmet interior, made by WhiteShadow on TDH. The TPU printed pads were decent, but were awkward to sand down when it came time to paint them.

Also installed the EAS as well, made by  UkswrathsSpeciality on Etsy. Will never don another bucket without it, it is a must have for those who want their fans on full blast but still want to hear what someone said 6 inches away. The only problem is the EAS is so sensitive that it picks up the fans as well...will need to install a potentiometer to help balance the fan noise.

I've always felt like the outside of the armor is for everyone else, while the helmet interior is for the wearer alone. Like a luxury apartment for your head, lol.

Awesome upgrades, highly recommend them both.  :like:

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!