Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

jump pack concept question

• 5 Replies
jump pack concept question
« on: May 22, 2020, 11:40 AM »
Are there restrictions on the shape and placement of a jump pack? I was wondering if it would be permissible to take inspiration from the titanfall series with the way they have their repulsor system set up.

If you're unfamiliar with the series the pilots wear them on the lower back and use them to jump farther, faster, and help them run on walls.

This would be in inspiration only. I realize that titanfall is too modern/scifi to be swarsy so I was thinking of changing the design quite a bit to give it more of a prequel trilogy vibe. Any thoughts?

Odran Krayt

• Aliit ori'shya tal'din (Family is more than blood)
Re: jump pack concept question
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2020, 11:51 AM »
Not sure what the app team would say, but I've never seen that look of jump or jetpack before, as in hanging off the belt, all the ones I've seen are either a pack on the back or smaller ones on the boots.

B.O.M.B.  #85|L.O.B. #41|M.A. #180|MAJIC #184|B.o.B.B #028
New Death Watch Order #44|O.O.P.S! #44
ALUMINATI #053 | V.B.V #7
Odran Krayt WIP
Nexan Armories (Sales thread)
I've been doin' this since I was 10!

OriKad

• The Grizzled Old Sergeant of Mav Oya'la Clan
  • Awards Force Hunter Brigade Member Special Weapons 267th Rapid Assault Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Airmobile brigade member
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2020, 01:31 PM »
Honestly, it would be better to mount it on the back, both because that's where all the jet/rocket/jump packs have been mounted in Star Wars (with the exception of jet boots), and because it's above the body's center of balance, thus ensuring greater stability in flight.

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2020, 01:53 PM »
Honestly, it would be better to mount it on the back, both because that's where all the jet/rocket/jump packs have been mounted in Star Wars (with the exception of jet boots), and because it's above the body's center of balance, thus ensuring greater stability in flight.

I agree, which is why I was thinking of mounting it higher than how the TF pilots had but basically making it a half pack made for jumping higher and farther rather than sustainable flight. Iíll try and draw up some concept this weekend of what Iím thinking itíd look like.

Silas_Garr

• When in doubt, destroy everything.
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2020, 10:26 PM »

"I am a warrior. A warrior may retreat. He does not flee. He may lie in ambush. He does not hide. He may experience victory or defeat. He does not cease to serve."   - Grand Admiral Thrawn

Lowki

• To die will be an awfully big adventure.
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2020, 02:56 PM »
im curious what the approval team says on this. the interesting parts is that while the pack is mounted to the full body (as seen in RTOJ) the thrust is generated down at the hips similar to the TF pack. I found a similar design i was considering for a while.

and it actually matches well with the IRL Jetpack made by Gravity Industries. the back mounted Jet is generating thrust at the waist/lower back not at the top/shoulders of the back. (but it also requires wrist/arm jets to get off the ground) . 

Personally i think we need to also remember that this is all fantasy based and keep Real world physics out of it. and should focus on maintaining the ascetics form the universe.  So i would wait to see what the Approval team says, then roll with what youd want.

She/her they/them QMU 093

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!