Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Bob's Custom Post imperial Mandalorian Build [pic heavy]

• 12 Replies
Hi everybody!

Ever since the release of the Mandalorian season (especially chapter 3) I've been drawn to the design of the Post-imperial mandalorian. I felt overwhelmed by the lack of references, untill I was shown the VFX breakdown of Imagine engine VFX. there were some suberb references in this! after seeing that, I decided on my Mando's general aesthetic. somewhere in between these 3:

There are elements in these 3 designs that I like. The  (seemingly) silver elements of the Solo helmet, the armor colour of the middle one and the colour of the soft parts on the one on the right. At that point, I started 3d printing. I decided to go for a regular Modern era helmet, and printed it in one go (a 73 hourd print, bit nerve-racking)

after a successful print, I started printing the 4 parts of the chest plate. this took about 40 hours as well, due to the relatively flat shapes needing a ton of supports

when everything was printed and put together, I started doing the bodywork

After extensive sanding, I ended up with this (pro tip for people who 3d print their helmets, reinforce the horizontal parts of the T visor, it started tearing on mine and I strengthened it with some 5 minute epoxy

a ton of painting and weathering later, this was the result!

I'm currently working on the shoulder pieces, which I'll share more anout once I get them done. I'm quite satisfied with what I've got so far and can't wait to show you more progress!

'till then,

Bob

Aran Skirata

• Ori'haat
Re: Bob's Custom Post imperial Mandalorian Build [pic heavy]
« Reply #1 on: Jul 15, 2020, 01:42 PM »
Very cool, great job getting rid of those print lines.

This is the way.
« Reply #2 on: Jul 16, 2020, 12:51 AM »
Very nice !!! Quick question. Did you print it in pla?

« Reply #3 on: Jul 19, 2020, 10:23 PM »
That looks good! Is that bondo you put over the armor to conceal the print lines?

Tenaz

« Reply #4 on: Jul 20, 2020, 10:32 AM »
This concept looks great, and really like the paint. Very excited to follow your progress here!

--Family don't end in blood, but it doesn't start there either--

WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=192548.0
« Reply #5 on: Jul 31, 2020, 07:19 AM »
Hi again! Thanls for your lovely responses, they are truely motivating  :) I got some updates. I'll answer some questions first

Very nice !!! Quick question. Did you print it in pla?

I did! all of my armor is printed in PLA

That looks good! Is that bondo you put over the armor to conceal the print lines?

I used 3 different materials to get id of the print lines: polyesther body filler. (so Bondo, just not from America), 3M Glazing spot putty and filler primer (some Motip branded stuff. works great)

Now, for the updates:

I made the shoulder pieces

started working on the gauntlets

Also did a little light up rangefinder!

That's all for now. hope to show some more stuff soon!

« Reply #6 on: Aug 12, 2020, 03:57 AM »
Hi all!

I got some more stuff to show.

I finished both of the gauntlets!

I also made the first hip plate! I can't finish painting it just yet because it's too hot outside.

I also started working on the soft parts. These were difficult for me, since I'm very much a rookie when it comes to sewing. I'm pleased with the results so far tho! I'd love your feedback

Note that these still need some weathering. On that note, a question: what's the best way to weather black fabric? I've been thinking of doing washes with grey acrylic and dry brushing with white acrylic m would that be an option?

One more question: I've been looking around for some boots for this costume. I've seen these:

They're not particularly cheap, so I wanted to check if these would be okay before purchasing.

GraniteDad

• Choruk Buir
« Reply #7 on: Aug 12, 2020, 01:02 PM »
1. Colors look amazing
2. Gauntlets look perfect- nicely grimy, and still look functional
3. for weathering, I think both your ideas sound good. I would recommend trying on the non-visible side first- that's what I did with some of my weathering just to make sure I wouldn't waste material if I screwed up. Also, start out gentle- don't go full-bore on weathering them until you do a bit of a test.
4. Those boots look nice, but I would recommend holding off on spending significant money if you're not convinced. I swung through Savers a month ago and saw 3 pairs of similar boots in various sizes. And Amazon has some (albeit cheap) boots for a low price. I hate to spend a lot unless I'm certain it's what I want.

« Reply #8 on: Aug 18, 2020, 04:35 PM »
Bob, this build looks fantastic so far. Color scheme is great, and I envy the smooth finish you were able to get out of your printed parts. (That, and the fact that you have a printer big enough to do a whole helmet... I'm currently printing one in pieces on my Ender-3)

Anyway, great looking build, and one that I'll be watching with interest.

« Reply #9 on: Sep 12, 2020, 06:03 PM »
Hi again! Made quite a bit of progress. Got all the armor I wanted to print printed

I ended up ordering the boots from the last update. They're great! I think they'll work

I also got a flight suit! I didn't really enjoy the colour, so I dyed it a darker colour. I also tailored it to fit better

After quite a bit of work, all the plates are finished! The once that I intended to 3d print, that is. All that remain are a back plate and a butt plate, which I ordered some sintra for

I hope to show the first full test fit soon!

Kol Varek

• Beanpole (Formerly Kol Var'Das)
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #10 on: Sep 15, 2020, 01:55 PM »
Very very well done so far! Amazing job with the prep and paint work! I'm looking very forward to seeing more  :like:

« Reply #11 on: Sep 17, 2020, 02:46 PM »
The weathering looks great! Can't wait to see the rest of it!

Cdeal

« Reply #12 on: Sep 18, 2020, 11:05 AM »
this looks awesome!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!