Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

The courier - WIP first build

• 38 Replies

GraniteDad

• Choruk Buir
The courier - WIP first build
« on: May 26, 2020, 11:21 AM »
Howdy folks! I'm making my first set for myself- made two for my girls a few years ago, but time to go for OM. The idea is that this mando is a courier, delivering messages where others won't go. Kinda silly in a universe with galaxy-spanning communications systems, but humor me.  :laugh:

From my concept post- postman blue for the flightsuit, navy blue for the flak vest, then army or hunter green for the armor. Unsure right now on the accent color to use- either a brown, other green, or some wilder color. It'll definitely be matte/flat for the armor vs a gloss finish. The lighter color on the soft parts will definitely make weathering more fun- I definitely want this kit to look lived in vs pristine.

I've decided (for now) to do a loincloth instead of codpiece. I've got a PM out for a helmet, and I've started some work on the armor.

For knees, I'm going to try Bearded Mando's amazing coffee can trick. We'll see how it goes. http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=164442.0

For vambraces I'm going to try something and hopefully it'll work. I was at Joann fabrics the other day and saw these cemetery flower holders.

I scraped out the weird stuff in the middle, cut off the bottom 2" and they look OK.

They do cover more than 2/3 of my forearm so we're good there.

They'll need some stuff on top to look more like functional bracers vs armor, and I may need to cut them down a bit more. But it's a start!

I was thinking of building some sort of rifle, but then realized I had 2 sets of Westar 34s from a few years ago, so felt I needed to work with what I'd already paid for. Rifle coming later, but for now I'm working on how to build a holster out of some leather mag pouches I picked up.

Kurz

• Awards Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023.
Re: The courier - WIP first build
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2020, 06:15 PM »
Howdy folks! I'm making my first set for myself- made two for my girls a few years ago, but time to go for OM. The idea is that this mando is a courier, delivering messages where others won't go. Kinda silly in a universe with galaxy-spanning communications systems, but humor me.  :laugh:
Well, it's not even that silly if you think about it. In one episode of "Rebels", comms are shut down and the empire uses droids to deliver messages. You might go on a wild planet with no comm infrastructure, or you can deliver death  :laugh:
"the Hutts send their regards". A hitman, code name "the courier".

"They sent a mandalorian to deliver a message, it must be important"
"It is."
*blast*

« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 06:19 PM by Kurz » Logged
OM #2524
Cabur Akaata (Protector Battalion) #133
Oribru Akaata (Emergency Battalion) #31
M.V.S. #89
L.O.B. #66

jethroskull

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2020, 06:32 PM »

"It is."
*blast*
Yesss!

GraniteDad

• Choruk Buir
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2020, 06:42 PM »

"It is."
*blast*

Love this! Officially canon for my backstory now  :laugh:

REX

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2020, 07:33 PM »
Can’t wait to see how you progress with this!

“No, you move.”

Kurz

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2020, 05:09 PM »
Love this! Officially canon for my backstory now  :laugh:

Glad you liked it  :laugh: i think a good back story is as important as a good kit  :laugh:

OM #2524
M.V.S. #89
L.O.B. #66

GraniteDad

• Choruk Buir
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2020, 06:24 PM »
Looking for feedback on if these vambraces look long enough. Measurement wise I think they work, but I don't want to spend a bunch of time working these, only for them to not meet specs.

under view

top view

Kurz

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2020, 06:40 PM »
I'm no app team nor OM, so take what I'm saying just as a personal opinion. Staff members are much more qualified to answer.
First of all, awesome find. I like how they end, it's very peculiar.  :like:
Second, according CRLs
Full or half/bracer-style hard shell gauntlets that cover at least 2/3 of the length of the forearm from wrist to elbow and at least half of the circumference.
I didn't do the math, but I guess that's more like 1/2 than 2/3 maybe? Not 100% sure.
If I'm right that's an easy fix though. Just glue pipe with a slightly larger diameter on top of the wrist portion or form some sintra and glue it on top.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2020, 06:44 PM by Kurz » Logged
OM #2524
M.V.S. #89
L.O.B. #66

GraniteDad

• Choruk Buir
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2020, 07:21 PM »
I didn't do the math, but I guess that's more like 1/2 than 2/3 maybe? Not 100% sure.
If I'm right that's an easy fix though. Just glue pipe with a slightly larger diameter on top of the wrist portion or form some sintra and glue it on top.

I think you're right - I've been measuring the % based on the inside crook of my elbow, but in re-reading I think the intent might be to the true elbow itself- like where the bones connect. It's fairly snug at the wrist, so I might not be able to add anything there. But I'll play around with it and see what I can figure out.

EDITED TO ADD:
I think I figured out an elegant solution! If I stack them, I still get the flared bit at the end that I like, and it creates a cool effect. I'll have to go get 2 more, but I think this could work.

Then, to stack some greeblies and make this sucker operational! (just some ideas, nothing certain yet).

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2020, 11:28 AM »
You're headed in the right direction.  That's pretty close to what my first gauntlets were made from: a toilet brush holder.

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

GraniteDad

• Choruk Buir
« Reply #10 on: Jun 06, 2020, 11:48 AM »
OK, cut out templates, and taped them on. Can I get some thoughts on size overall? I feel like the collar might be too wide- maybe cut some out of the middle? But the tape square on my left shoulder is 2" and that seems roughly aligned with where the shoulder bells should start.

The painters tape is 1" wide, so this is roughly aligned with where I'd place them, but want to get confirmation on size before I do cardboard versions for better placement. I don't have my flak vest yet, so can't really finalize final placement.

The + sign of tape is on my bellybutton. The armor is not all sideways, my daughter is just not the world's greatest photographer.

Kurz

« Reply #11 on: Jun 06, 2020, 01:51 PM »
I'm no app team, but i'd say everything looks a bit on the large side. Also I think I see a little misplacement on the collar patterns.

Don't know if I was able to explain myself. Those two corners should overlap i guess.
This way the collar should be less side, but I'd go with spalle templates anyway.

« Last Edit: Jun 06, 2020, 01:54 PM by Kurz » Logged
OM #2524
M.V.S. #89
L.O.B. #66

GraniteDad

• Choruk Buir
« Reply #12 on: Jun 06, 2020, 01:55 PM »
I'm no app team, but i'd say everything looks a bit on the large side. Also I think I see a little misplacement on the collar patterns.

Don't know if I was able to explain myself. The "underlined" part should be overlapping the same portion on the right.
This way the collar should be less side, but I'd go with spalle templates anyway.

OK, that makes a ton of sense, that explains why the collar felt so wide on me. I can fix that easily.

I can see what you mean about the overall size. I think I'm just so scared of cutting all the plates and having them be too small and having to start over. But if I try smaller for the cardboard cutout, that should help me determine.

Thanks again!

Kurshi BeJahaal

• I don't roll on Shabbos. ב"ה
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #13 on: Jun 18, 2020, 11:54 PM »
Okay! Found this thread and commenting to watch your build!

I'll agree that everything looks a touch on the big side. But bigger is always better than smaller. You can always trim to get it where you need it. :)

MMCC #1484¦¦64 Career Invasions¦¦Rancor Clan
Helmet Scratch Build||Beskar||Privateer||Protector

GraniteDad

• Choruk Buir
« Reply #14 on: Jun 19, 2020, 03:51 PM »
I tried the smaller templates and I really think this is the right fit. Do folks agree that these look sized OK? Again, the spacing isn't perfect, but the painters tape is 1" wide, so I feel like it's generally solid.

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #15 on: Jun 19, 2020, 04:12 PM »
You could trim about 1/16" off the outside of the chest templates.  The spacing is pretty close, but with the outer edge of the chest, you would want to hold your arms straight forward, or cross them, and not crinkle the paper too much.

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

GraniteDad

• Choruk Buir
« Reply #16 on: Jun 19, 2020, 04:21 PM »
You could trim about 1/16" off the outside of the chest templates.  The spacing is pretty close, but with the outer edge of the chest, you would want to hold your arms straight forward, or cross them, and not crinkle the paper too much.

Awesome, that's very helpful. Makes sense to take that off on the outside only. Thank you!

GraniteDad

• Choruk Buir
« Reply #17 on: Jun 24, 2020, 09:14 PM »
OK, maybe the lamest armor update ever, but I'm excited! I went to an armor party this weekend, and went from having paper templates to almost all my armor rough cut on sintra!

Still need to cut out the true armor lines, bevel the edges, check that things look good and sizes are still OK. I kept the armor as printed, so need to take that 1/16" off the outside edges.

Once that's done, it'll be on to my backplate and shaping... and hopefully my helmet will arrive around then.

GraniteDad

• Choruk Buir
« Reply #18 on: Jun 26, 2020, 02:29 PM »
Helmet received. I think the USPS decided to put "Kick the Bucket" to the test. Check out this box:

Luckily, the helmet is as tough as described, and made the journey unscathed!

Can't wait to start finishing this thing.

Also making some slow armor progress, cutting the excess off carefully, and starting some minor beveling. I'm really not good at this, so taking it a slow as I can to avoid costly mistakes.

« Reply #19 on: Jun 26, 2020, 10:57 PM »
Helmet received. I think the USPS decided to put "Kick the Bucket" to the test. Check out this box:

Good Lord it is good that the helmet is fine but jeez

GraniteDad

• Choruk Buir
« Reply #20 on: Jul 09, 2020, 09:53 PM »
OK. Minor progress tonight, but all the armor pieces are cut out. Started sanding the edges a bit to even them. Lots of work to go!

I’m really excited for three upcoming armor parties: one virtual, and two in person. Really hope that’ll help move things along.

Awall

• None of us are as smart as ALL of us
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 267th Rapid Assault
« Reply #21 on: Jul 11, 2020, 02:15 PM »
Keep up the progress... no doubt the armor parties will sling shot you even further in the build.

Rancor Clan     #2385
Oribru Akaata #56   Emergency Battalion

Kurshi BeJahaal

• Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #22 on: Jul 18, 2020, 09:58 PM »
I have two of those Kick The Bucket helmets sitting off to the side for future use. I'll be excited to see how yours turns out!

GraniteDad

• Choruk Buir
« Reply #23 on: Jul 18, 2020, 10:35 PM »
I have two of those Kick The Bucket helmets sitting off to the side for future use. I'll be excited to see how yours turns out!

Did you get yours pre-assembled? How do you recommend I smooth the seams? Do I need to add a bunch more bondo or can I smooth down what’s there? I was sanding it on the Zoom call tonight but I’m worried about sanding too much and it falling apart. But maybe I’m just overthinking this.

Kurshi BeJahaal

« Reply #24 on: Jul 18, 2020, 11:08 PM »
Mine did not come assembled. He recommended using a specific PVC glue to hold it together but didn't specify much beyond that.

I haven't assembled mine yet, so I can't give any specific pointers. You can maybe use quiksteel to add some structure to the seams. It not only will cover the seams, it hardens and adds some durability and strength to that seam. It's a bit more difficult to sand, but can really add some integrity to potentially weak spots.

If you can get a few pictures, that would be awesome!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!