Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Rou Paeni’s Updated Weathered Helmet

• 2 Replies

Talontree

• “Rou Paeni” #2521
  • Awards Mobile Engineers Brigade Member
Rou Paeni’s Updated Weathered Helmet
« on: May 29, 2020, 09:21 PM »
Happy Friday everyone!

I wanted to share a recent update i worked on with my helmet weathering. I wanted to try out some new skills on weathering and make my helmet look more realistic than toy-ish/replica. I shared the update on my kit WIP but i wanted to post it here to share to a wider audience!

Here is where I started. Not bad, but it left me wanting.

I started with an initial silver dry brush applied with a flat sponge.

I then moved in with some charcoal to dual the silver paint and round off the contrast:

After the charcoal, I used brown shoe polish to smudge and grime up the helmet. I wanted to give that mud, oil, grime look to the helmet:

After the shoe polish,  I applied a clear gloss coat to the helmet. I did it sparingly at first and did another coat afterwards.

The shoe polish adds a patina to the helmet that I don’t think i could replicate with paint. The metal color looks worn and really moves the piece from toy/replica to prop piece. Overall, i am really pleased with how the helmet turned out. Enough so that I decided to start the weathering process on my other armor plates.

Enjoy!

Comments and suggestions welcome!

Re: Rou Paeni’s Updated Weathered Helmet
« Reply #1 on: Jul 09, 2023, 12:06 PM »
With shoe polish do you have to seal it or can you just let it dry?

Hodayc Goran

• 3D printing my brain/dumpster-diving for greeblies
Re: Rou Paeni’s Updated Weathered Helmet
« Reply #2 on: Jul 09, 2023, 03:54 PM »
I like this weathering! It's a lot more intense than I intend to go with my kit, but I'm probably going to use some of these techniques for my stuff too. I've got a full shoe polishing kit, so I'm sure there's something in there that I can use.  :laugh:

And about a quart of graphite powder from a project that I didn't end up using any graphite for.

Ecclesiastes 4:12
“Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken.”

3D Armorers and 3D Printing
General Concept Ideas
Soft Parts

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!